Will Magic Items have a bazillion attributes?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by markind, Mar 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. markind

markind Avatar

Like in UO?

When you mouse over something, you get a full screen of data.

We will again see separate Resistances for Poison, Cold, Fire, etc... ?

2. Razimus

Razimus Avatar

Hopefully.

I'd personally like to see this, but along with this, because this will be 3d, it will be easier to add thing like this;

Fire Sword; Fire animation effect (clearly showing from a distance 'that character is holding a fire sword)

Ice Sword; same deal you get the gist.

This is the type of thing that existed in previous Ultimas, I'd really like to see it again, if I'm holding a fire sword and it looks like a plain old metal sword I'll be a little bummed.

Garriott is an expert concerning game design and Dungeons & Dragons design, which includes a large variety of stats on weapons & armor, I wouldn't expect to see any different in SOTA, hopefully some surprises. I think this game will blow Diablo 3 out of the water, and speaking of the Diablo games, I really liked Diablo 2's use of runes & gems to enhance your weapons/armor with slots, this idea has been used in many games since, it would be very cool to see this type of thing in SOTA.

Time Lord likes this.
  3. Montaigne

Montaigne Avatar

Originally UO didn't have the Diablo-like stats on weapons and armour. The original system was awesome. The system UO has now is hopefully nothing like what SOTA is going to implement. Hopefully no neon or orange weapons or gear either. I'll also cringe if someone is running round with a sword twice their size or with fire shooting out of it. Give me a Supremely Accurate Sword of Vanquishing and I will be so happy!

4. Malchir

Malchir Avatar

@Montaigne SOTA isn't UO.

But I also enjoyed the simplistic magic stats on weapons, I had a perfect viking sword, which was; indestructible vanquishing supremely accurate. But this perfect viking sword I had wasn't very Ultima-esque, because it was a magic sword and it didn't have a magical blue animated halo as seen in the previous Ultimas.

I agree w/@Razimus glowing magical blue hue for magic weapons, fire hue for fire weapons, green hue for poison weapons, white hue for ice weapons is the most Ultima-esque, and it's not about being more Ultima-eqsue, it's about being fun, the funnest games I played were Ultima VII & VIII, one of the things that made these games so fun was seeing, and obtaining these glowing weapons & armor. Seems superficial but it really isn't, it brought life into a game, a plain weapon a plain piece of armor, a plain shield which has a UO description proclaiming it to be 'magic' is not the same as seeing a magical glowing animated hue.

5. Sargon

Sargon Avatar

Simpler is better.

UO's current item properties are so complex that a new player has no chance of ever figuring them out.

6. Derium

Derium Avatar

itemized weapons = Themepark
    non-itemized = sandbox

Again, look at the history of UO even. Pre-Chilton = Sandbox, post = Themepark. The item stats followed. Take a look at any Sandbox, item stats are at a minimum.

I do know know the official statement on this yet. but here is what it will be:

Minimum item stats.

I'll bet you a City house on it. Well, because there is no possible way Garriott will go themepark, and plus is there is itemized weapons/

7. Owain

Owain Avatar

Love of gear is the root of all evil. Gear should be player crafted, and easily obtained. Enchanted weapons should be rare indeed. If everyone can easily get enchanted gear, why have crafters? And if everyone has enchanted weapons, in effect, no one has enchanted weapons.

8. Illesac

Illesac Avatar

Agreed, I am so sick and tired of looking through my loot in Diablo trying to figure out if it is worth selling or should be scraped. I seriously spend 5 minutes reviewing loot every hour of playing. Yes, there can be vanquishing weapons that are uber rare but only slightly better, I don't want to have to consult spreadsheets and hire a consultant to determine if my gear is worth selling.

9. Derium

Derium Avatar

no idea why my post cut off halfway, and there is no "edit" option on it... hrm.

10. Owain

Owain Avatar

A mod is sabotaging you for arguing with them. ;)

11. Derium

Derium Avatar

@Owain hahaha, I actually thought that when I saw it!

12. PrimeRib

PrimeRib Avatar

I don't want to see any stats on gear. Breaking out excel (or askmrrobot) totally destroys the role playing experience.

13. koden2

koden2 Avatar

I want simple weapons/items in the game. You should be your characters skill points, not the gear you wear. Plus simple items means losing it when dying isn't game ending. You just go buy a new one from a vendor. Blacksmith's should be able to make different quality items from cheap basic ones to expensive high quality.

WoW is a mess with crazy stat gear now. I was a blacksmith and couldn't make anything worth selling because everyone wants farmable random drops from bosses.

14. Eriador

Eriador Avatar

Why stats on gear "destroys the role playing experiencie"?. Most of the role playing games, like D&D, are based on stats. Also in the reality, even without magic, you can find different quality weapons. I dont mean that this is worst or better, but is not about the "role playing experiencie".

15. Owain

Owain Avatar

Its not that stats destroy the RP, but when everyone has a 'magic' weapon, 'magic' becomes 'normal'. If crafters can't make 'magic' gear, of what use is a crafter?

16. Eriador

Eriador Avatar

Yes, thats true. Anyway i hope that the crafters are going to be important.

17. RelExpo

RelExpo Avatar

I have to agree that "minimal" stats will make it so crafter made items are potent enough on all levels compared to magical weapons found out in the world.

I know this is not UO (thankfully sorta) but I'd like to cite a lesson learned back in the day. Sure, getting that nice suit of Grandmaster armor was great, and you had a spare set in your bank, just in case, because you knew if/when you died, you'd have something to fall back on. The feeling of attachment to equipment was nowhere near the spectrum it is now. This is in part due to itemization and also because of a new generation of "privileged" players.

When I say privileged, I mean the ones that never got to the last level, died and there was NO SUCH THING as a continue. You began the game all over again.

If you lost it, sure it hurt a little but crafters were in great need and made quite a living doing this.

Now, I'm not saying we should have Open World PvP, but that's a whole other topic.

18. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

Thanks @RelExpo for sharing that. I'm really glad to hear that you can actually lose your items. It keeps people going back to the smithy, and also makes dying something you don't want to have happen to you... much lol.

I think these "privileged" players may actually find out that it is more fun when there is risk involved. It also puts a stop to ever increasingly powerful magic items like in WoW. Although in games like WoW there is nothing else to do but get better items, in a game like SOTA there will be far more things to do than just get more powerful items. However when you get a really powerful item you will be sure to protect it and only use it when you know you're going to need it, like going out with a group to explore a tough dungeon.

If you do PvP with your best items, you'll do well, but you may lose them too. THANKS AGAIN! these are all good signs of a good game.

19. PrimeRib

PrimeRib Avatar

I still dont think stats really matter to RP. If you coveted a +1 sword over something named after some long dead elf king which glowed blue when goblins were around, you didn't have a very good dungeon master.

And a few stats aren't bad. It's boiling a whole game down to ilvls and "best in slot" that destroys it.

20. Harrijasotzaile

Harrijasotzaile Avatar

Not only do I NOT want magical weapons to be plentiful - but I want to be able to pick up almost anything made by another player and use it confidently to beat another player to death. Grandmaster-made armor and weapons should be the height of a piece of equipment's innate value because it means it was made by another player - the fact that another player made an item after attaining enough skill to make it high-quality should trump anything looted from an non-player monster - even if the monster was really mean.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.