New Players RIP

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jordizzle, Mar 26, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheBalance

TheBalance Avatar

New players will not be PVPing for weeks, probably months, unless PVPing is being 1-shot by players that built their characters specifically for that.

2. eli

eli Avatar

They are implementing zones where the effective skill cap is 100 for each skill.

It was originally for R46 then R50-52 but now Q2 ish.

I got confirmation from the R51 missed questions so it's definitely still on I think.

Personally, I think a 90 zone would be way more accessible.

3. eli

eli Avatar

It's still easy to bypass ransom, it just takes about 200 weight capacity now instead of 5.

It has been trending to a harsher penalty, especially with artifacts (20-30k still). I wish it was instead proportional to the level disparity between who is killing whom.

4. Pounce

Pounce Avatar

An Archer playing PvP ? That is as logical as an pure healer playing PvP! (And on top of that healers can be tough cookies, archers in Sota for sure not...)

Retro likes this.
  5. Max Bennis

Max Bennis Avatar

Could you explain why Archer is bad for PVP? I asking because I honestly don't know much about PVP in general.

Numa and Kara Brae like this.
  6. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

Archers can be quite the problem in real PVP, when i say real PVP i mean there is no one on one only, one on one battle is a competition, but if my archer and i stealth on you and catch you unexpectedly real PVP, then the Archer can be quite a problem for you, if ive cast icefield and the archer cast disabling shot then i stun you since im in plate :) Nothing wrong with an archer in pvp if its done right ;)

Numa, Dhanas and Max Bennis like this.
  7. Max Bennis

Max Bennis Avatar

Thanks @blaquerogue ! That was enlighting information. Stealth sounds very intriguing, I may work on that in the future.

Black Tortoise and blaquerogue like this.
  8. Pounce

Pounce Avatar

Too many ifs ... the problem with archer is that you depend on surprise/stealth and that is by tradition nerfcake for devs... My point is that everything that comes close enough to hit.. you have no shield or you play an tank mage with bow glued on.... pure archer is supporting toon, if one wants to go for PvP in the first place it is an touch choice (i have no doubt some level grind and pvp god can pull it off but painfull so...)

Retro likes this.
  9. KnownInGameAsGeorge

KnownInGameAsGeorge Avatar

I agree with Lifedragon that this would happen even if there was a final wipe today.

It might make a little difference for a few weeks but not much more.
    Mostly what would happen is that some peopl would grind out their characters in the first few days and be powerful again but you would have to spend weeks playing just to unlock your skills again.

Personally I think you are better off without a character wipe, it may just make things worse for you.

Elwyn likes this.
  10. Pounce

Pounce Avatar

If there was an char whipe now i would probably not bother coming back. The whole issue is pointless for the simple reason that you have to consent to pvp in the first place, so maxxed out toons are not the issue (because they are as said always the "issue")

Elwyn likes this.
  11. Spungwa

Spungwa Avatar

All this very much depends on where you put your XP in the tree, if you spent that extra XP on the light spell then the only difference between you at 85 and 90 is a few sun attunement. How you have set up your deck is also even more important than skills. I think the 10 alternative decks is about to be a game changer in combat.

Spung

Dhanas likes this.
  12. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

My friend and I run around quite a lot we have learned how to work as a team, which is the key to PVP imo, knowledge will always be the main skill in PVP. You should also put icefield in your tree as well, that way you can disable and slow.

13. Tetsu Nevara

Tetsu Nevara Avatar

I have to say i cant enjoy unfair pvp thats based on playtime/skill level. GW2 Battlegrounds for example can be called fair because everyone has the same skills, level and gear. You can just start the game and have a fair match against someone that played for years. You will lose because he has more experience but nobody will call it unfair. Also Systems with level adjustment like ESO has it now, can fix many "new player vs old player" problems. But i think some people enjoy to slaughter some "noobs"

Last edited: Apr 3, 2018
    Dhanas likes this.
  14. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

if they just wiped exp it wouldn't bother me much, I feel it would be more fair for all the new people to have a chance instead of just getting rolled by some 100 skill level beast pvpr. Most pvp that are that high would probably just max it out again, in a few months. I don't think they would quit the game its not in their nature! The only benefit the players here in the alpha beta ect.. early release, will be knowing where to go to grind, and they might grab some noobs to go grind with them and show them the ropes. Which might increase the amount of PVPrs we have in the game. Who knows? Have to wait and see.

15. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

I started at persistence and play pretty consistently every day, I'm adventure level 111, and I find the system too costly / imbalanced to bother with. I see no point whatsoever in flagging up, carrying extra gear / crap around to try and deckswap if I run into a griefer, and even less point in gearing up and trolling for victims - there's more lucrative way to spend my time without ruining someone else's day. I know some people enjoy this sort of thing, and have no problem with people killing each other to their hearts content, but the way the skill/gear/everything system works in this game you're never on an even playing field, even if you have been here since day 1.

If someone likes pvp, is good at pvp, and wants to grind up skills to compete in pvp, they can get to my level in a few months if they're dedicated to it. I've seen people who started a year after me just blow right by. They can totally kick my butt. Because kicking player butt is their thing. If someone started playing today they could get up to speed and competitive in reasonably short order. Sure, someone who has got 18 months of a head start is going to be a bit stronger due to passives, but the diminishing returns takes a lot of the bite out of that. No, two level 60s are not going to take a level 110 guy, but two level 100s easily could with proper tactics.

Bambino, Cordelayne and Elwyn like this.
  16. Spungwa

Spungwa Avatar

I'm sure i have heard Chris talk about equalised scenes in the future, remember this is launch for episode 1, 4 more planned, hopefully lots more things to come. Personally i only like group PvP, as i find that tends to be more tactical and less down the individual players and more about group synergy. So you dont see me PvPing at the moment. To get group PvP like this generally need mechanics to make it worth while for people to set a time and date to fight over something, a thing i hope will appear in the future.

Spung

17. TheBalance

TheBalance Avatar

Getting matched in a structured PVP format with someone who has hundreds of hours of playtime over someone who just started is, as in your example, not even kind of fair. Being matched with someone wildly outside of your skill level (skill takes some time to acquire) isn't fair, or structured, as GW2 puts it.

Anyway. The appeal of min/maxing PVP characters is what keeps a HUGE portion of the PVP crowd around. Nobody PVP's to lose. Games like this, where gear, exp investment into abilities, etc. are the factors of character strength in PVP will *always* have a crowd that came to the game just to nuke "noobs" and pretend they're good at something.

18. Tetsu Nevara

Tetsu Nevara Avatar

Thats why many games have a ranking system that matches people with the same level range or power. Somethink like a PvP Zone instance for Adv Level 40-59 for example

I wish i would get 1 CotO for everytime i hear the words "planned" or "in the near future" :)

19. Jordizzle

Jordizzle Avatar

These are the weeks, the first few weeks after launch, that are probably the most important . . people will be logging in to see if this finished product is fun or not. Is it fun to die to another player after they've only cast one spell on the day the game has launched? We'll I'll guess we'll see what the new players think LOL.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2018
    raxxus likes this.
  20. TheBalance

TheBalance Avatar

This is "official" launch. Basically everything but port agreed this game launched 18 months ago when progress started counting. Call it whatcha want, but folks a year and a half ahead are gonna dominate this game for at least that far into the future.

Evadrepus, Xandra7 and Jordizzle like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.