on players soloing dragons...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by StrangerDiamond, Mar 25, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Xaichan

Xaichan Avatar

I understand you may feel disappointed that dragon is not the ultimate boss and your guild is underwhelmed. I would like to state that this is ofc my opinion. I believe progressing is different for everyone. Everyone learns differently and I also think that the ability to solo with a lot of hard work is perfectly acceptable. Think about the range in game that provides. I don't believe it to be fair to work 3x as hard just to be ever so slightly stronger. Some people only play solo for the most part and they deserve to be able to down awesome content just as a group does. You said you heal. Well obviously a healer isn't going to go in and solo a dragon, but someone who has spent every waking moment working towards being able to do this why not. Also just because someone can do something you can't or just because they can solo what takes you're 3 or 4 guild members does not by any means devalue your accomplishments. I personally think killing dragon at level 60 Is amazing. Now if you're looking for a game that does not show rewards for your hard work you should go to WoW. Min\Max on there means nothing now days. Everyone can pretty much do the same content, but so take is special. It allows everyone to set and achieve their goals with hard work. Some people just invest more time in game than others and it shows

2. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

Thanks for the reply :)

I know its all a question of perspective.

I'm the only guildmember @ level 50 and geared to heal... the other are all over adv level 100, my guild leader just hit adv level 120.

I can barely imagine myself the time it will take me to reach that level... so thats why it was hard to swallow.

sure our first attempt was a little challenging, just learning to react so positioning and its abilities...

our second deception was that it didn't require any tactic... none of our members were ever close to die, it was not stressful or challenging really, just took a long time to drop all that HP.

I like the scene in the fall so much, everything feel like... oh that is going to be your hardest fight in a while...

At first I would even stay away, have that little apprehension... but now I just shove myself by the dragon, so I can do area heals as well as direct heals... we use the exact same tactic we use with any monster, just hit as fast as possible a button mash.

So indeed, even if we abstract the other player, and the lacking pvp mechanics to make interesting for people to compete for that boss kill... we're still underwhelmed by the dragon experience.

People like to use WoW as an example alot... they waited to release the dragon for a long time because they knew that for many nerds, this is one of the major experiences... he had to be a real badass...

can you all imagine game of thrones if they had our dragons in there ?

It would make everything a joke... ruin the storyline... at least to me.

Also notice that in any good storyline... people aren't all GOD by the end of the first episode...

A good story unfolds with a certain rhythm... unveiling of major legendary elements etc...

3. Alrik Doom

Alrik Doom Avatar

ROFL ... I've read and read and read these threads over and over, the same points are made time and time again!

You want caps to even the playing field due to a lack of time/effort you'll put in, disregard those that do have time to put in that want an endless skill system!

so my message to all those that scream caps!
    Work hard and you'll be rewarded, cry and complain and you'll get responses you might not like!
    There are 100's of games with caps, finally sota answers the call of hard core players who want to play for years and still be building there toon is here. I hope it never changes to satisfy the casual "I want to be the top player in 3 hours" player!

ShurTugal, StrangerDiamond and Mac2 like this.
  4. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

I'm not Stundorn because I see nothing wrong with his logic from a RPvP point of view.

I like all responses, it is what it is :)

I am that I am.

My reason to exist always was the welfare of the realm... the coherence and integrity of its principles and lore.

My proposal has nothing to do with a cap, its a handicap mechanism that is applied dynamically in order to lessen the impression of an undefeatable scenario. In order to help both players have fun... it gives a chance to the lower level player because the higher level players accepts a handicap in order to have more people to have more fun with !

So yes it could be easier in single player, it could be harder in friends online (adapting the equation for multiple players, making the dragon stronger for each member of the party) and very, very much harder in multiplayer, and very very even more harder in PvP zones. If death has to be meaningful, dragons have to be meaningful, while allowing players in other modes to have fun with them. Win win :

Thus those players who would indeed defeat the dragon in multiplayer would be true legends, sure I'm not saying make it impossible, but try to make it require the blessings and magic and combination of people of different specializations that gives multiplayer its true meaning. And make the player who tanks and takes all the trouble and the stress get the title and merit and most of the loot, not the supporting members, only one or few is/are a dragonslayer.

So yes, part of my logic is parallel to Stundorn, but its not in the same context at all.

We are already capped at 200, btw. The math makes sense its just the scaling between modes and the inherent meaning of the names used from previous lore. Every detail like this reinforces the sentiment of integrity and allows people to further participate in the world with deeper dreams and prosperity.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2018
  5. Despothes2

Despothes2 Avatar

This isn't Lord of the Rings.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2018
  6. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

You want the last word and you don't even know your classics :p

You're right tho... its a circus and people eat 10 dragons for breakfast. And make a bow with 30 trees... fun stuff like that.

7. Rada Torment

Rada Torment Community Ambassador (ES)

Info updated: the new dragons (black dragon has 5-6k more hp and higher level) and the death shield change (-25% heals) makes the solo dragon now needs bit more time (nothing special tho).

Ahuaeynjgkxs likes this.
  8. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

Yeah I was in crossroads on launch day.. the devs came as dragons because Markee Dragon gets favors from the devs.

They had defeated them in minutes... it really killed my morale.

How is that considered any fun ?

But then again, from the looks of it only a few of us feel this way, if everyone is happy, then I'll just accept and bow until I break.

9. Superbitsandbob

Superbitsandbob Avatar

You mean the "trusted trader" who has shown barely any interest in the game recently until this week trying to sell crap to newbies. ;)

Mordai, Weins201 and StrangerDiamond like this.
  10. Jimmy Cliff

Jimmy Cliff Avatar

My experience with soloing dragons.
    1 Came to persistence late on a $40 account
    2 Worked hundreds of hours to get to Adv Lvl 80+
    3 Got all my skills together and gathered supplies to make set of Bone Armor and good bow.
    4 Managed to solo dragons 60% of the time for about a week and a half
    5 Update came, my damage avoidance never avoided, dodge never dodged, fire resistance didnt resist. Dragon hits me for 600+.
    6 Watch people in plate armor tank dragons.
    7 Started selling everything off for extra PayPals
    8 Have played less than a dozen hours since.

Ahuaeynjgkxs likes this.
  11. Rada Torment

Rada Torment Community Ambassador (ES)

I hope that's not a true story :(

12. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

Yeah I saw it with my own eyes... the reason we live in crossroads was because we're old school UO players who used to live and pvp there back in the day.

13. ShurTugal

ShurTugal Avatar

Sota doesn't limit you. In fact its literally the opposite. You have a huge choice of what to do and how to do it. Maybe that's the problem with a lot of you... Your so use to having your hand held and guided down a very specific path that when exposed to actual feedom of choice and the consequences that go along with it you don't know what do do with it and cry "enslave me" I am one of those players who is very focused on a specific tree and sure improvements can be made but over all I am pleased with it and don't feel like I have to do anything outside my tree of choice to be competitive. :) :) cheers.

Thwip and Mac2 like this.
  14. Hornpipe

Hornpipe Avatar

You can speak for yourself. But please don't try to act like if you know what I'm used to. You don't.

I explained how and why the current system was "limiting". Of course, some specializations are viable. That was not my point. Just read my post again. Everything is about how specialization doesn't allow people to be competitive in the same way as others. When you have to grind 25 times more experience to get the same bonus, or 5 times longer to get the same amount of experience, or if you need 50 times more actions for the same result (fire ring of explosed corpses under meteor shower for the win), well.... you get my point.

When you walk across Novia, it's easy to notice how competitive choices can be restrictive, psychologicaly.

For exemple, you have numerous types of cloaks in this game, something like tens of those. You even have the quiver or the bagpacks. Some are quest rewards or craftable. Some have a light enchant. Some are very rare. But only the Shroud gives you a combat advantage with the +2 damage avoidance thing. Then, two-thirds (if not many more) of us wear the shroud. Of course, some wear it just to show their avatar status. But how many would wear something else for the exact.same.reason when they are penalized with a damage avoidance two points lower? Open your eyes. The answer is right in front of you.

And it's only an exemple...

Hopefully, future will bring some more skills which will balance those issues.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2018
  15. ShurTugal

ShurTugal Avatar

Its a misrepresented story. Yes we had a dragon or two spawned in crossroads and no it was not because markee received favors or anything. In fact the dragon couldn't be skinned and just ran around killing stuff till we killed it. Markee is a business partner with portilarium (is that spelled right??) and as such business partners get certain things from each other and it is not favoritism or anything like that :)

16. ShurTugal

ShurTugal Avatar

I don't agree with your premise at all. I do not feel limited or not competitive. I do not wear the cloak even though damage avoid is my main defence. I don't wear the crown or anything. my gear is self crafted and as such is average since my crafting skills are average but that just means with a little time and hard work they will get better. Room to grow. I love it. Your post just comes across to me as a poor me, woe is me the devs are not catering to my needs, and I may have to work a little harder at something than someone else. I really do not agree with your premise at all but your free to it. I don't come across to many people in game that would agree with your ideas either. Maybe your just in a small minority and mac is right. :) :)

Mac2 likes this.
  17. Hornpipe

Hornpipe Avatar

There are people who are interested with how to get a more balanced system and who try to make some objective points about that, usings facts, stats and actual exemples. (yes you can FEEL competitive without the shroud but you will be more competitive with it and less without, and as stated above, it is only one exemple among many others).

There are people who like to gossip about someone else intents and try to make their point with their own personal case.

I will let you judge in which category you are. This will surely be a nice discussion to have with yourself, and it will have the advantage of not solliciting me.

Thank you for the talk.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2018
  18. ShurTugal

ShurTugal Avatar

That's completely untrue. I know plenty of people who are opposed to handicaps who are very social people. If someone wanted to handicap themself for my sake I would say hell no!! Let ME rise to the challenge, don't drag yourself down to my level. I find those who demand others lessen themselves (ie handicap themselves) are terrible human beings. :) :)

19. ShurTugal

ShurTugal Avatar

Point 1.... I don't use any of those skills either even during boss fights on my archer and I do just fine. They are not "required" .....point 2... I run with a fully locked deck all the time even during boss fights and fyi I do NOT find it inferior to hybrid builds and this is coming from a guy who began using hybrid builds and switched to a fully locked deck BECAUSE I found it for efficient.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 10, 2018
  20. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

Uhm ok I guess you don't play sports... if I walk back two steps from the throwing line when playing darts... its because it would not even be fun to play with my friends if I didn't.

When its too easy its too easy... thats why handicaps exist even in computer games since forever. You act like its something new, common :p

Besides I did not want to derail the thread with PvP issues, the handicap I proposed was to make the dragon easier in single player, harder in party mode (percentage of increase bell curve for additional each member of party), and much harder in multiplayer mode (even harder in pvp zones).

That handicap allows players who want to enjoy killing a dragon for fun, while keeping the dragon meaningful and legendary in the multiplayer game. Just like death is supposed to be made meaningful by the addition of a death decay handicap.

twofoldsilence and Grimbone like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.