Heraldry submissions appear to be open

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Oakenhammer, Mar 26, 2018.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

I'm old.

Nikko, Spoon and Sean Silverfoot like this.
  2. Beaumaris

Beaumaris Avatar

Question: After a blazon reaches approved status, how long until it appears on founder heraldry items in game?

Sara Dreygon likes this.
  3. Rok Yrikk

Rok Yrikk Developer Emeritus

After items are approved, they will be available immediately in-game. However the Heraldry data is retrieved on log-in, so if you are logged in when it gets approved you will have to re-log in order to apply your Blazon.

4. Beaumaris

Beaumaris Avatar

Thanks, this is quite a neat character customization system. Good work!

I moved away from past COA submittals and just went with a very simple one-ordinaire blazon this round. I'm glad I did. Given the scale these (must) appear at in game, less may be more.

Nikko and Sara Dreygon like this.
  5. Resolute

Resolute Avatar

Can we get both the Daedalus and Sun images re-enabled please.

Example of the Sun one in use :

[​IMG]

Senash Kasigal likes this.
  6. Bodhbh Dearg

Bodhbh Dearg Avatar

My son's COA (Goibniu) has Daedelus and the sun! And quarters too...

What isn't clear, and I already submitted mine before we found out, is that apparently you should do a square COA?!...
    How will that work with things like the banners, but also heater shields and round shields?

This is such a disappointing step back from what we were led to believe things would look like!

If I (or rather my son) submit a heater like this:
    [​IMG]
    Will that fill a heater shield or show up as a tiny heater COA placed on the heater shield?
    Would a square one fill and be cropped to fill a round shield, or show up as a tiny square in it's center?

Why did Portalarium even let the College of Arms do their thing, vetting all these submission and then give us THIS???

What a slap in the face... What's an ONBE or a Royal Warrant even worth when you utterly disregard the efforts and sacrifices of these people?

I thought that you guys cared for the community, after all this time - despite not wanting to believe the early signs - you've proven at launch time that you really don't care at all! You're just going for the minimum effort that will satisfy the letter of the promise, without caring to uphold the spirit of it!

I can think of many SIMPLE solutions to resolve the quartering issue for instance, and for the simplest solution you'd only need a grand total of 1 items of each one, with 8 dyable sections... So you can match the eigths to the superimposed COA

7. Rok Yrikk

I apologize that your expectations were not met. Feel free to message me with your son's username and I can reset the form for you.

It will show up as a tiny heater COA placed on the heater shield.

We have been in close contact with the engineers who created sotacoa.com. The original implementation of the College of Arms was always intended to be integrated with us, but the assets it created were not compatible with the technical design for this project. It was clear that their original generator would not create assets that would work with our implementation, so we decided to use their new generator - https://sotacoa.com/generator/new

I would love to spend months working on the tool to turn our implementation into everything that it was dreamt to be. It is available right now, because we wanted to provide the functionality to backers as soon as we got it working, just like we always do. We intend to improve the experience over further releases.

We are very impressed with work of sotacoa.com and the artists that have contributed. We encourage anyone dissatisfied with the tool to contribute bug fixes or additional features to the source code located at the github project here https://github.com/GeneaLabs/sotacoa.com

Last edited: Mar 27, 2018
  8. Lord Tachys al`Fahn

Lord Tachys al`Fahn Avatar

@Rok Yrikk
    Unfortunately for you, you appear to be the front man having this handed to you with two months to roll out what should have been a "done deal", and apparently it is as far from that as it could have possibly been.

What you have done in the short time allowed, is simply fantastic and amazingly well done with previous considerations noted.

That being said, I, and apparently others, are greatly disappointed with the initial direction of this, and given the years this has been a WIP, can you blame us for the disappointment? There was also a month and a half's worth of lack of communication involved, that would have headed this off at the pass, but that also doesn't fall on your head alone.

However, you have shone a ray of hope into this situation with the mention of this being something that is intended to be iterated and improved upon. Thank you for that, all you have done, and all we hope you will do.

Something that might help this along, since you keep pointing people towards the github site for improvements, is some sort of list of things you see as necessary and guidelines for submitting the necessary code base improvements. Just a thought...

9. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

@Rok Yrikk would it be possible to show a screenshot of an example blazon in the the generator and how that same blazon then appears on various items?

10. Rok Yrikk

Great suggestion!

Thanks!

I agree with you, it took me a bit to figure out how to get the project set up, I will work on the README

11. Ariella Shadowdancer

Ariella Shadowdancer Avatar

I'm confused atm. Do we have to redo them? Do I have to pay $25 to resubmit it?

12. Rok Yrikk

The 25$ is to unlock your form after your Blazon has been submitted and is in-game. In this case, the heraldry has not been approved or put into the game system, so has not used any moderator time.

I will extend this offer to anyone using the system until Friday:
    If anyone has made a mistake on the form and it has not been approved, you contact me for a form reset.

13. Ariella Shadowdancer

Thank you.. Will do..

Sean Silverfoot likes this.
  14. Ariella Shadowdancer

Yes please!

E n v y likes this.
  15. High Baron O`Sullivan

High Baron O`Sullivan Avatar

Thank you, sent PM.

16. Polaris Penguin

Polaris Penguin Avatar

Question:

If we choose something now and later on when improvements are made to the generation system will we have to pay $25 to then change it to a newer version?

17. Bodhbh Dearg

Bodhbh Dearg Avatar

It's actually mine, not my son's... Sorry for confusing you by mixing up 2 examples in one paragraph! ;)

That is unfortunate... Will there be any chance of change in the future?

I'm sorry, @Rok Yrikk , it wasn't meant as a personal attack! It is just that Portalarium has made a number of bad decisions in the very recent history *cough* Travian migration *cough*, and are doing (also again with the CoA system) what they promised they wouldn't do (because they don't have a publisher breathing in their neck): RUSH TO MARKET!
    I'd rather have had they said, sorry, the CoA system takes longer to get right, we will have to postpone it!

And if I have suggestions to improve the system around the generator, that could help, amongst other things, with the quartering? Do I put them there as well, PM you, use the (totally neglected) suggestions forum, or are there other options?

Last edited: Mar 28, 2018
    Ariella Shadowdancer likes this.
  18. Duffrey Blake

Duffrey Blake Avatar

@Sara Dreygon
    I assume that in the future we will be able to change the background color of the heraldry items. But for now I think you should go with a. if you want full control of the colors. This is my heraldry [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 28, 2018
  19. VZ_

VZ_ Avatar

Anyone have any suggestions for good online tools to create one? I found the one Port provided to be very lacking in terms of images (no bear!) and in terms of geometry (no cross??)

thanks all, looking forward to seeing everyone's in game!

20. Bodhbh Dearg

Bodhbh Dearg Avatar

I'm torn, whether to go with square, like this:
    [​IMG] and [​IMG]

or with the heater model, like this:
    [​IMG] and [​IMG]

The square would work best on some things (like a heater shield), whilst the heater would ironically work better on others (like cloaks)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.