PLEASE Do Something About These 2 GIG daily Downloads!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Eyesgood, Mar 28, 2018.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Eyesgood

Eyesgood Avatar

UPDATE: Ok, so now that I have cooled off, I want to encourage all Steam players to go to your account page on the SOTA website and download the standalone installer. I have been using the Steam client and updates for what seems like forever and I can tell you, you will save yourself some major waiting headaches if you stick with Steam's delivery method.

Thanks to Port. for providing this option to us!

============================================
    Come on Port. I have put up with these mega-gig downloads forever! I thought for sure you guys would learn how to pack up a reasonably-sized update by the time the game went live. Since launch (YESTERDAY), I have had not 1, not 2, but 3 (THREE) downloads in two days for a total of 10+ gigs of data. WHY????

[​IMG]
    [​IMG][/url][/IMG]

The total size of the game is not even 10 gig!

Last edited: Mar 28, 2018
  2. Lained

Lained Avatar

Use the SotA launcher instead of Steam and you'll only get the patches, Steam has to download the whole updated file.

Numa, SmokerKGB and Ravalox like this.
  3. redfish

redfish Avatar

I don't know if I like the thought of how this impacts SSDs.

4. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

If you're using the standard launcher, you are just getting what was changed, unless something is broken. I don't know whether you started with a previous version or not, but the 743-749 patch was 1.55GB (smaller than average for a new release!) and 749-750 was 159MB.

So the standard launcher is superior to Steam? That's rich, with all the people who say they run Steam because of the patching. With the standard launcher, if you know what you're doing, you can torrent the new release the night before (I shared it back out at over 5x ratio, fwiw), and I distributed the patch files to three different computers over my LAN.

Ahuaeynjgkxs and Alley Oop like this.
  5. SmokerKGB

SmokerKGB Avatar

What ARE you talking about? This is the fastest it's ever been, it took me 45 second to download AND another 45 seconds to unzip / load, then the Play button was available...

Oyjord Hansen and Elwyn like this.
  6. Eyesgood

Eyesgood Avatar

I guess you are obviously not having the same experience I am having. But every Steam user that is getting updates through Steam would probably understand.

7. SmokerKGB

SmokerKGB Avatar

What the heck does this stand for? I'm old and decrepit...

8. SmokerKGB

SmokerKGB Avatar

Might I suggest: ditch steam... Obliviously, their server is overloaded with the huge number of fans logging on... a testament to the huge success of the Game...

9. redfish

redfish Avatar

For what its worth...

SmokerKGB likes this.
  10. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

I'm not having long downloads either but everyone is different depending on their personal situation including and not limited to where they live, their computer set up, their internet speeds etc. To assume it happens to everyone is false thinking. The advice from me is to listen to the advice others give. We need to get these fixes in the game as soon as Portalarium gets them and that is usually more often at the beginning of a release. Later you will not see them coming nearly as often, but you will see more of them in the first week or so of a release for sure. So FYI.

SmokerKGB likes this.
  11. Eyesgood

Eyesgood Avatar

Ok, went to my account page and am downloading the SotAInstaller. I hope this fixes my issues, because working through Steam for this game is just ridiculous!

Thanks to all that put up with my rant. I didn't even realize they still had a standalone installer.

Port, it would probably be a good idea to sticky something in the forum about the option to download the client outside of Steam. I have been working off the Steam install since way back when and didn't realize it was even an option.

SmokerKGB and majoria70 like this.
  12. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Yes I never play through Steam. For the first two years of the game we did not even have steam as an option. It was added later and good luck to you. *crosses fingers*

13. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

Yup... my SSD is almost full... there are patched I had to delete manually because they stayed in the folders, and then when I reupdated, the game thought it was starting from that old patch, but it was already applied, thus the 10+ gig downloads... in double.

In that folder I even had patches in triple...

14. Enziet

Enziet Avatar

Just another reason for me to stay away from steaming pile of steam. I think I start steam up maybe once per year? Just to keep it updated.

Elwyn and Ahuaeynjgkxs like this.
  15. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

If only there was some way to search for things like that on the internet.

https://www.google.com/search?q=fwiw

It's a good reason to find out how to move the downloads directory to a big spinny disk. Or in reverse you can do like the lazy way I installed a SSD on one of my machines, I dropped it in, set it up as S:, copied the entire Portalarium directory, and did whatever the Windows equivalent was of a symlink from C:\Program Files\Portalarium to S:\Program Files\Portalarium and presto no need to worry about all that registry bovine excrement.

Ahuaeynjgkxs likes this.
  16. sarbonn

sarbonn Avatar

Okay, but what does FWIW mean????

Yes, I'm kidding.

Cordelayne and majoria70 like this.
  17. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

If anyone knows a way to change the download and patch folder, I'd be eternally grateful...

I even had to hunt some patch cache files on the drive, some were in system folders...

18. Numa

Numa Avatar

The Steam download volume has to be fixed though. If we're looking to gain many more new players beyond the current demographic that is. Most of the targetted audience will be getting their games from Steam and may be reluctant to use a separate stand alone installer.

19. Quenton

Quenton Avatar

Something is definitely wrong. If the standalone launcher can deliver small patches, so can Steam. I've seen other games convert their big patches to small patches after providing feedback to their devs.

Steam is the standard delivery system for gaming. You can't recommend other players should "ditch Steam", that's crazy. A large file download size has nothing to do with steam servers being overloaded.

Last edited: May 6, 2018
    MrBlight, Leostorm and Mykll like this.
  20. DeadnGone

DeadnGone Avatar

Well Steam DOES have its issues... I've had to re-download entire games before even though it's already on the computer, so STEAM is not perfect and could certainly do more to alleviate those problems on their end. It's not Portalarium's fault they (Steam) makes you redownload everything. Another reason why I primarily use the stand-alone launcher instead of Steam's and just update my steam library every now and then.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.