Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Feedback for release day

Discussion in 'Release 52 Feedback Forum' started by Skolia, Mar 28, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Skolia

Skolia Avatar

NOTE: I backed this when it was first on Kickstarter, I glanced at an early release but decided to wait until it launched. That day has arrived and these are my impressions for Portalarium to read or ignore. :)

These are impressions based on a 2 hour play station with a Ranger.

Character Creation
    • There need to be a lot more character creation options, hair styles, etc.

UI
    • The UI kinda works but a lot of the text is a little too small at 1920x1080 (for me anyway). The text below the compass I can barely read and there's a lot of squinting involved.
    • Compass: The point of interest icon is very similar to what Bethesda's games use for quest givers/objectives which is going to trip me up a lot.
    • Compass: This may be a bug or not but the blue sparkle for quest stuff is kinda hard to see and when I tooltip it sometimes it's for quests that I turned in already? And sometimes it's hard to tell if it's pointing to the objective or the giver.

General

• The game uses a lot of terminology that it does not explain during the tutorial. Decks, Focus, etc are not covered at all. (I deliberately started playing 'cold' to see how the tutorial went.) Load screen tips and tutorial messaging should also always reflect the current key binding.

Combat
    • Combat felt a little clunkly and non-intuitive to me. I'd have something highlighted, mostly to keep track of it and all of a sudden I start shooting arrows at them. Other times it's in the crosshair, and you fire and arrow and it inexplicably misses.
    • Combat dodge/roll needs a keybind.

2. Lained

Lained Avatar

Welcome back! Here's the player instructions where it's all covered.

Roycestein Kaelstrom likes this.
  3. Magnus Zarwaddim

Magnus Zarwaddim Avatar

Combat: I think by default you use your auto-attack, which is why you may have been shooting at something you highlighted. The default keybind is "T" to disable/enable if I am not mistaken. Just hit up the "Options > Keybind" section to check what key does what.

UI: It would be nice if it scaled. And it would be SO much better if EVERY window could be moved/resized. I particularly wish that the nameplates of you/party members/NPC's were moveable, along with the health/focus bars.

General: I thought they worked on making the deck tutorial intuitive. Either that, or they just let you fill up your hotbar first, then as you get to a certain level, you start to get a tutorial. Someone else chime in here?

Character creating: This goes in general for all the graphics - but this is not a game for the moment that focuses heavily on graphics, and so all options are limited. These things are important in that they grab people in the beginning. Although for the life of me I never truly understood why when it was a tiny portion of your entire game experience. I understand that people like their avatar to look a certain way. Let's hope that they fix that up and then offer everyone a makeover. :)

Roycestein Kaelstrom and Chatele like this.
  4. Skolia

Skolia Avatar

Oh I know the information is out there, but the game's tutorial should cover things and it doesn't.

5. Miganarchine

Miganarchine Avatar

UI YES! a slider to make all the UI larger would be great for us people playing on 4k TV's on the sofa.

Roycestein Kaelstrom and Nog like this.
  6. Nog

Nog Avatar

Definitely agree on the character customization point. Moving/dialing facial features without differing base faces leads to faces looking same-y. Your eyes might be higher or nose bigger and cheeks minutely fuller but the base look isn't too different. The hair styles is the one area where, at a glance, someone might look different than another character. But hair is very limited with respect to style and color. More colors is a quicker fix of the two since it doesn't require extra modeling. Hopefully soon SotA will offer enough different looks so players feel unique and adequately customizable with regard to appearance.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2018
    Roycestein Kaelstrom likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.