Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Location of server and framerate issues.

Discussion in 'Release 52 Feedback Forum' started by Sidorovich, Mar 31, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sidorovich

Sidorovich Avatar

Read that there is just one and it's in Texas?

I'm starting to have this suspicion that server location is what is causing that low framerate for some. While others describe their framerate as "silky smooth"
    Due to weird nature of how it handles player connection.

If I connect to US server in any multiplayer game my latency is insane. Yet here it seems to be completely alright, I experience zero delay.
    Instead for some reason I get low framerate. Which get's better when switching to private mode and even better when playing offline (I did not test this myself but it seems to be the case based on comment made by Sir Cabirus in this forum thread https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/f...s/performance-issue.116455/page-2#post-982802 " )

Could it be it? Are people that have good framerate all Americans (+ maybe people with very good connection) and people with framerate issue live elsewhere?

Because I really have no idea what else could be causing this massive difference between playing in Online and Offline mode. Low framerate is everywhere, It's defi not because of player owned cities or anything like that.

I presume whole dev team is based in US so they would never run into this issue.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2018
    Bow Vale and Spoon like this.
  2. Jens_T

Jens_T Avatar

I am not a technical experts - various people reported higher FPS in offline play. IMHO the FPS should be primarily limited by the graphic card and/or cpu depending on how the system works. But...
    SotA uses a P2P approach to run instances not on a central server but loads most of the work to a master client who then acts as a “server” for other players’ clients.
    Only certain checks and tasks are done by Portalarium’s central server.
    This will take local resources and bandwidth and would explain some impact difference between offline and online modes. However it shouldn’t affect graphics too much unless your system (cpu/memory) is on the limit without handling the network / p2p stuff.

evillego6 likes this.
  3. Echondas

Echondas Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

The higher FPS in offline mode are likely due to less deco loading into memory and other such things from POTs.

4. JohnL

JohnL Avatar

I'm based in the UK and, although I don't know my actual frame rates, everything appears silky smooth with no glitching or hanging - even with lots of players on screen.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.