1. Here you will find official announcements and updates. These announcements are also linked in the Official SotA Discord server.
    We encourage comments from the community! To keep the announcements official, we ask that comment threads be created in the General forums for player input.

Thanks!

Post Episode 1 Content Plans (aka the 2 year plan)

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by DarkStarr, Aug 10, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

That's the nicest thing I have read about EA in a couple of years ^^

Cordelayne, Black Tortoise and Numa like this.
  2. LoneStranger

LoneStranger Avatar

We know for a fact that Richard was talking to EA and Mythic at the time, because as much was tweeted. EA was trying to launch a sort of remake of U4, the Ultima game that is largely in everyone's top three of favorite Ultimas. If Richard said some negative things, that could have tanked it before it was released. Richard also wanted to try and capitalize on some nostalgia by creating tighter links to the older, existing series. So it wasn't out of the goodness of EA's heart. It was a business deal.

3. LoneStranger

LoneStranger Avatar

It does look awkward. I don't necessarily think this is the final layout. It's a 2D picture, but the world is thought of as being on a globe, unlike, say U6 where you can sail to the edge of the world. There will probably be some shifting as continents are revealed.

As for the south pole, perhaps it's Pagan? Normally we'd expect snow, but maybe the volcano is hot enough to keep the snow away. More likely, it's something new.

Mykll likes this.
  4. Dargalin

Dargalin Avatar

Is there a plan to improve upon character generation options in general as in extra hairstyles, more face and body options/skin complexions etc?

Also, will the elves be the current elves in game, or a more... shall we say photogenic version?

Biggest problem I have at the moment is convincing my wife to play. She is blown away by the scenery graphics and textures but is really, really put off with how the characters look. So she refuses to leave Elder Scrolls Online to come play with me and i'm very lonely :(

Chatele and Numa like this.
  5. Numa

Numa Avatar

The elves in Novia really look like that since they are the product of corrupt obsidian magic. As the result of genetic experiments, they are a much younger race than men.

It's good news that your wife finds the SOTA graphics impressive as compared to ESO. What exactly does she find off putting about the avatar models in SOTA?

Dargalin likes this.
  6. Dargalin

Dargalin Avatar

Personally, they look ok to me, however for her:
    There are only five or so hair styles, the skin tones and clothing look cartoony and lack depth in comparison to the textures of the world, and also the bodies look cartoony too, like wow but without the exaggeration of wow. She thinks the avatar bodies look out of place in the environment in general.

She loves to spend hours and hours getting the character just right, but got turned off with the lack of depth to the customisation, having difficulty finding the women beautiful, or the men hansom and different enough from other players to give a uniqueness.

For the elves, while yes they are a young race and the result of experimentation, to her it doesn't convince her to play an elf as they are supposed to hold an alien beauty, while her thought is that the elves of new britannia are more akin to darkelves.

Chatele likes this.
  7. Numa

Numa Avatar

I forgot to mention that the New You Salon in Central Brittany offers more styles. Will cost COTOS though.

Can't think of s single non-human race in the game that fits the "alien beauty' bill alas. I tend to favour orcs myself so am waiting for kobolds to be a playable race. Doesn't hurt that they're technologically advanced as well :)

Mystic likes this.
  8. Mystic

Mystic Avatar

I miss orcs as well. I long for the day they appear in the game.

9. Grimbone

Grimbone Avatar

100% agreed!

Numa likes this.
  10. Dargalin

Dargalin Avatar

I think we need something to offset the other races in terms of the natural balance. There's lots of tech, undead, corruption and standard Humans.

Numa likes this.
  11. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

Lat klump Humi

12. Mystic

Mystic Avatar

Klump humies for da shinies!

Ravicus Domdred likes this.
  13. Black Tortoise

Black Tortoise Avatar

I know how popular this idea will be, but it was a major factor in the downfall of the combat system in UO. I can only hope that this will be implemented with counter measures (e.g., take dbl damage from polearms, polearms get dismount skill, take extra damage from crossbows, its relatively easy to kill someone's horse, stuff like that).

----

Im also quite surprised that there is nothing about Cooking in there. Such a lonely skill tree!

And as stated previously - whats up with the beer brewing / alcohol feature we Edelmanner were promised?!

Last edited: Apr 5, 2018
  14. Pawz

Pawz Avatar

I'm confused as to when episode 1 ends and episode 2 starts?

Sir Grant likes this.
  15. Lained

Lained Avatar

Each episodes will last 18 months.

16. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Per Darkstarrs OP on this:

"If you do not see a feature that you hoped you would then please feel free to suggest it in the thread below and we will consider adding it to the plan."

Now that does sound like an opportunity to me and great timing. I will be getting back to this with some feedback on that ;)

(reserved space)

17. Floors

Floors Avatar

I am looking forward to item history. I think that will add alot of depth to armor and weapons by creating more unique weapons tied to the in game chars associated with it, which will in turn create more differentiation and more rarity and uniqueness

18. Black Tortoise

Black Tortoise Avatar

Can this also get scaled between the number of total homes, and scene size?

Storm's Reach, for instance, is a big map with small clusters of homes and a small town center, and mostly forest. I liked the idea of a small village on a big island filled with wildlife and resources and such. Itd be odd with all that forest and no critters in it. In fact, I actually think it could use more ducks, sheep, deer, chickens, etc.

At the same time, I would love for all of the homes to be occupied! The more neighbors the better, but, there is still so much open forest in that scene, there should be plenty of wildlife around still, methinks.

Chatele likes this.
  19. Boris Mondragon

Boris Mondragon Avatar

Well, to elaborate further on this topic if it is financially feasible to purchase the rights from EA it may be cheaper and quicker than to complete a new land mass from scratch. Many of us here remember Ultima Online and would be thrilled to see it again on 3D interacting with the Novian continent. @DarkStarr, @Lord British, what do you think of this proposal gentlemen?. R/Boris/El Pirata.

20. Andrew Silverston

Andrew Silverston Avatar

If you ever going to create Episodes 2+, please create offline versions too to give us casuals some joy. Thanks!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.