Welcome New Players!

Discussion in 'New Player Welcome' started by Berek, Jun 9, 2016.

1. Kieranbunny

Kieranbunny Avatar

have you eber heard of da Phrase: EeeeeEEEEeeeP...DEATH BUNNY!??!??!?!?!
    *fading bunny voioce*...umm...sowwy...me just membered dat me have to be in da land of "Far,Far(and did me mention far?) away! like 10 mins ago! ....>thataway!!! ==:)*O

Luca Xante likes this.
  2. Kieranbunny

Kieranbunny Avatar

*AHEM!* look...just cause me cousin lost his temper doesn't mean all wabbits are like him..*hides big pointy sharp teeth*.....==}:*[=]

3. arman79

arman79 Avatar

hi

Ravenscar and Rhiannon like this.
  4. Jorhoto

Jorhoto Avatar

hello, I started to play this fantastic game!

Ravenscar, Rhiannon and majoria70 like this.
  5. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Welcome @Jorhoto . Happy adventuring to you. I am Majoria in the game if I can help anytime.

6. PolgaraTheSorceress

PolgaraTheSorceress Avatar

7. Dalinoth

Dalinoth Avatar

Good morning. New player here. Long time Ultima fan so I'm excited to see that Lord Brittish and Tracey Hickman have created...

Rhiannon and Ravenscar like this.
  8. Wendy_Suck

Wendy_Suck Avatar

Hihihi. New player here!

About me...
    I consider myself newish to gaming and the MMO genre (3-4 years now) and have enjoyed the following: WoW, Gw2, B&S, FFXIV, ESO. There's something about levelling characters in a social fantasy environment that I really really love.
    I play healer and support classes/roles. Dps doesn't interest me and haven't the balls (yet) to try tanking! Not into crafting or trading. Love to team up with people to hit dungeons and complete group content.

First impression of SotA:
    Overall really positive. I love
    - how flexible the levelling system is.... Free reign to level whatever you want? Yes please
    - that everything isn't spelled out for you. I'm used to being spoon fed so this challenge is refreshing
    - there are so many schools of magic. As a magic fantasy whore this makes me very happy.

My goal:
    To build a pure healer/support mage that can provide useful buffs and/or CC. With the little knowledge I have I guess levelling water, life and light would make sense. I'm really drawn to moon from a RP perspective (sexy, mysterious healer who can turn invisible and charm animals... Wow!) however I don't think it synergises. I'm not sure what weapon to focus on however my preference is being in the back line. The game seems to be focussed on melee.

It would be nice to make some friends in game to level and explore together, discuss things and share ideas and knowledge. Add me if interested!

I'd love to hear your thoughts, ideas and advice on all things SotA and how to achieve my goal. All help is welcome! I hope soon I can help and impart some wisdom in return!

Cheers
    Wendy

9. Meneliki

Meneliki Avatar

Hello! New player here. Just got the game today.
    Seems pretty cool so far, the world building is incredible.
    Looking forward to getting a bit stronger, hooking up with a nice group of people and diving deep into some of the game's dungeons :)

10. Holifer

Holifer Avatar

Hello
    I was getting bored in WoW again and saw an ad for SotA on Facebook.
    I didn't remember I'd signed up for the newsletter a long time ago.
    The game feels fresh to me and kind of exciting. Lots of things to learn.

I read up on Richard Garriott and realized he's the inspiration for the character of James Halliday in 'Ready Player One', which I recently read.
    I thought that was pretty cool.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2018
    Rhiannon, Ravenscar and Berek like this.
  11. Berek

Berek Portalarian Emeritus Dev Emeritus

Greetings and salutations @Holifer, welcome to New Britannia!

Holifer likes this.
  12. i490710

i490710 Avatar

Steam button in client is inactive, how to solve this?

13. SunDancer

SunDancer Avatar

Hi. Now will that annoying "click here to say hi" windows be gone please....

Ravenscar likes this.
  14. SkinnyJ86

SkinnyJ86 Avatar

Hello Everyone! I've just been recently introduced to this game from a youtube video. I've downloaded the trial to get a feel for the game and so far I am enjoying myself. I have to be honest though, I'm a little overwhelmed on the direction needed. I've watched some videos for newbies but would love it more if I could find someone who wouldn't mind playing with me to show me the ropes. IGN Spironus Filander

15. Sir AJ

Sir AJ Avatar

Hail and Well Met - long time UO player who is enjoying a new look at Britannia

Holifer and Ravenscar like this.
  16. Rhiannon

Rhiannon Avatar

No need to be shy Neres! You are among other Avatars (just a few thousand or so). Welcome!

17. Rhiannon

Rhiannon Avatar

That's 'cause it's NEW Britannia. :) Welcome! There are many avatars from old Britannia here! Me being one of them.

18. Rhiannon

Rhiannon Avatar

My goodness. Look at all the new avatars this week. Welcome one and all! Hope you enjoy New Britannia along with the rest of us.

19. Belgarath71

Belgarath71 Avatar

Hi!!! All.....

Berek and Ravenscar like this.
  20. Mboo

Mboo Avatar

Hey there everyone.

I grew up on the Ultima series. My first was Ultima 7, then Ultima online, and ultima 9. 7 and 7-2 were my favorites.
    I have a copy of Hubert's Hair-Raising Adventure signed by Richard Garriott (If you know why this is special I assume you're also an Ultima long-time fan).
    That being said, I was looking forward to this for a really long time, and now that "launch" has arrived, I am overwhelmingly disappointed.

Don't get me wrong, there are a number of things I enjoy about the game, so far the crafting system seems interesting (if cumbersome and time consuming), and the skill system is nice. I'm enjoying leveling a sort of all-around-mage.
    However there is quite a bit lacking.
    Let me answer the questions from a previous post:

1. If you had to place yourself on a scale of interest in this game at this time (between 1 and 100), where would you say is your interest right now?

After playing for most of today, I got through much of the "truth" area in aerie and surrounding land. I figured out the sword-puzzle in the east longfall wetland. And yet, I just... don't care. My current scale of interest is about a 20/100, down from a 90/100 when I started playing.

2. Can you give a short list of specific things that aren't here that you'd like to see?

There is no engagement, no overarching quest which binds me to this world and makes me want to be interested. I understand it's very "sandbox", but there still needs to be an overarching story line that has some sort of conflict, some reason why I am here besides "You are the avatar sent to save us."
    Maybe I just haven't gotten to it yet, but so far, I am just... grinding my way through hoping I start to like it.
    Also more explanation of basic things, like what the heck are sieges, why do they happen, how long do they last, do you get rewards for fighting in them? All of these are simple basic things that a tutorial when you enter your first siege could answer.
    What are my rewards? What are my goals? Why am I playing this? Most MMO's give small rewards for small quests followed by larger rewards for longer quest lines, I haven't really seen this yet, and I feel like I have completed a fair number of quests. Give me options, I don't just want gold, the economy when I look to buy things is very inflated, give me items I can use to upgrade my character.

3. Can you speak a little about WHY you want these things? (Remember: There's no wrong answer here because we're just interested in your view!)

In order to be engaged in the game, there needs to be much more... engagement.
    I consider myself an average gamer, not hardcore, fairly casual but willing to invest whenever I find something I truly find special and enjoy. Where is my reason for playing? I'm not going to drop a few hundred dollars to get a house/lot/etc. I would like to be able to just play through an overarching story quest and advance through regions of the game at a reasonably directed rate with the option of going off on my own as I need

4. Is it safe to assume that the things you speak of in #3, if present, would raise your score?

Yes

5. If so, by how much?

Back to where I was originally

6. If we're still not at 100%, can you tell us what else is either missing, or you haven't heard enough about to decide if/how it interests you?

I feel there is a sort of... gestalt ultima experience that is missing. I get the virtues, and seeing how the quests in aerie are about people being dishonest, I see that as the defining thread... but where is the reason behind why these people are being dishonest?
    In ultima 9 we had the towers which rose and were corrupting the respective symbols of virtue.
    These people have the symbols, they have their reasons to be virtuous... so why are so many not? Is it just because human nature? Where is the fun story in that? How is that engaging for your general mass audience.
    Maybe this game is meant to be a very pointed experience at people with nostalgic feelings, but that doesn't seem like a sustainable business model and should be broadened to engage all gamers.

7. If you could make ONE suggestion for ONE specific change that is NOT world changing, what would it be and why would you choose it over any other thing?

More quest lines / overarching story / simplicity to engage average gamers.

8. Finally, if you could ask ONE question and known you would get a direct response that would not end until you explicitly stated your understanding of it, what would you ask?

Why have "launch" day when the game is still so clearly in development and needing quite a bit of work, with placeholder text and multiple simple glitches within the first few quest lines?

I didn't mean for this to be such a long post, or such a critical post.
    I really want to enjoy this game, but it seems like the idea to make something so massive and large got the trees lost for the forest... the overall game is there, but where do I start? Where do I get involved in the overall story? Why do I care and want to? How does it affect my character?
    And why is it SO hard to find/see quest items, even sometimes when they are directly in front of you, why aren't they shining/sparkling/standing out in some way?

And I am getting more critical again.
    I really hope to see positive changes in the days ahead, but I think I'll likely be checking back sporadically instead of playing regularly until I get a stronger pull from the game.
    All of this was on the multiplayer experience online, and, during this time, I had one single person emote to me, even when asking direct questions and using zone chat to look for a guild, I didn't hear anything. Either the game is very very specifically populated in places that I am not yet, or the community just isn't there yet either.

Wow, well, that was a lot.
    Best of luck,
    I'll be seeing if I can find where everyone is hiding in game.

~Flynn Hunter~

Jayde and Thelon like this.