The missing key!

Discussion in 'PvP Gameplay' started by Brink1123, Apr 4, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brink1123

Brink1123 Avatar

here is an idea to bring more pvp into this game and encourage more non pvpers to venture into pvp zones.
    how about all ore iron, gold, silver , ect.. have been deposited into shardfalls. and each shardfall has it own type of ore. the old mines can be re-proposed into adventure sences. currently there is no one at shardfalls this will just give more purpose for them being there.

Edit:: You could even make iron golems, Gold Golems, silver Golems. and each could specialize in its each magic feild.

Dhanas likes this.
  2. Mystic

Mystic Avatar

That won't bring more people into these areas because it makes them sheep. I am much more a crafter than anything. I recently just passed level 60. There is no way I'd be able to best most PVPers right now being that I've been focusing on my crafting skills. You turn people into sheep and the wolves will salivate and feast on them. It's hard enough to collect resources for crafting with just the NPC creatures all around. Add high level pvpers to the mix and it's game over for casual crafters.

The only way that the PVP/Crafting combination would work is for game wide non-consensual PVP and that is not going to happen.

Elwyn, Olthadir and Innascual Inch like this.
  3. Brink1123

Brink1123 Avatar

there could be other ores found around the world just not nearly as many.

4. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

I am liking offline more and more...

2x resources in Felucca did not work either.

Elwyn likes this.
  5. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Then the entire idea is moot. Resources are not enough to get non-PvPers to go into PvP zones. If it was, it would've worked a long time ago. Some people simply don't want to PvP, period. You can't force people to engage in behavior they don't want to do, and to design a game that way is going to flop. Crafters who don't PvP won't start.. they'll just leave entirely. Or they'll play offline which is more or less the same thing.

6. Brink1123

Brink1123 Avatar

Please tell me why i cant ind anybody in the shardfalls and why are they there since no body goes in them

7. redfish

redfish Avatar

One of the original ideas by the devs was to put unique resources in Shardfalls or PvP areas. I believe obsidian chips were originally mainly supposed to be found in Shardfalls. But for example, one suggestion that came up over the years was "blood moss" that only spawned where a lot of players were killed.

I don't believe this would necessarily in itself draw PvEers into PvP; a lot of PvEers who wanted these resources would just buy them off of others. But I think it would be at least a step towards making PvP "meaningful" towards the global environment of the game, because it would matter from a game world perspective what guilds did what.

There are other things that would make PvP meaningful for the game world, like allowing guilds to take over control points and put tolls on safe passage through the gated areas. A lot of PvEers would just pay the toll or find other routes to where they want to go. But it would make guild activities matter from a game world perspective, too.

Contraband quests, too, like discussed in Kickstarter.

Though I'd add that even though I think a lot of PvEers would opt out, I think making PvP "meaningful" in this sense would be *one component* at least in influencing them to try it out. A lot of people seem to think economic carrots drive most PvEers, but I think most are just looking for meaningful gameplay and PvP seems pointless and annoying to them.

I think the PvP system ultimately needs a lot more... like a justice system where bad behavior gets punished... and some way of players doing practice duels with their friends without risk so they can warm up to it.

But I think meaningful PvP gameplay is at least one component to getting people involved.

8. Brink1123

Brink1123 Avatar

Yes I agree completely, If we can make meaningful PvP the rest of the issues will just go Away and we could even draw more people to the game.

9. redfish

redfish Avatar

Only a serious issue if there are no other routes...

But if it doesn't matter to the game world which guild owns a control point, then the whole exercise of taking one over is just a relatively meaningless parlor game.

10. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

enable a pvp mode that works off of a pvp skill tree. Make factions. Make NPC factions. Make a PvP level cap that applies when your are flagged. You could have your god mode pve when not flagged. I understand that they are working on guild warfare that will allow only guild vs guild and not flagged to everyone. That will be a significant improvement also, as it will allow for RP/PvP that you can set your own rulesets.

11. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

So PvP is pointless unless the victor can exert control over others, whether they wish to be controlled or not... PvP is all about dominance over others...
    Thank you, that makes perfect sense... For PvP to be Meaningful, you must be able to subjugate another.

And here, all these years, I've been told that it was all about Competition, and pitting one's self against another Human player, because AI held no real challenge...

This new explanation makes more sense.

Duke Gréagóir and Elwyn like this.
  12. Brink1123

Brink1123 Avatar

Yes exactly, Some people like that. Thats not an abnormal thinking to show dominance. perfectly normal.

13. redfish

redfish Avatar

For PvP to be meaningful in a role-playing game, it has to have role-play value. Role-play value means you fight for real reasons.

Also, nobody said the victor has to impose a toll. Hypothetically, a good guild would want to kick a bad guild out so they could allow free passage for nothing.

But your idea of "subjugation" is all the while still relative if there are other routes, even within the same scene. There are always issues of convenient-and-less-convenient in this game, and for some reason people exaggerate them as life-and-death issues, when its not death, its just less convenient. IMO, discussions over gameplay could use less hyperbole.

StrangerDiamond and Elwyn like this.
  14. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

So, PvP has the same root motivation as Racism, then.

15. Brink1123

Brink1123 Avatar

If you say so?!! all i care about is having fun pvping.... if you wanna turn pvp into some type of social acceptable thing.. be my guest but thats not the conversation i will have with you. all i wanna talk about is i pvp is fun or its not

16. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

But you've just said:
    So, for PvP to be fun, it has to be at the expense of another...

17. Brink1123

Brink1123 Avatar

another person who agrees with that type of fun yes

18. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

In competition, whether it be pvp or bowling. There are winners and losers. It has been so since the beginning of time. One person will be dominant over the other in a match. Also, this is all by consent in this game, so there are no victims.

Dhanas likes this.
  19. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

So you wouldn't support @redfish's extortion idea then.

20. Brink1123

Brink1123 Avatar

Its like sex it has to be consensual.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.