No Wipe On Launch, Or Even For Years? You Guys Are Crazy.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Whiskiz, Apr 2, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

Should they release that content before Episode 2's launch date?

2. Numa

Numa Avatar

Just posting this clarification on the changes to the two week head start and name change rewards :)

https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/forum/index.php?threads/pledge-reward-replacements.106208/

Retired Items + Replacements:

2 Week Skill Head Start: This would have serious balance implications and would only discourage players who did not have access to it.

REPLACEMENT: Replenishing Box of Training Accelerator Potions: These new Obsidian potions temporarily increase how fast your skills use experience out of your pool to advance the skill. This box of 12 potions replenishes annually.

Pick Last Name Early: This simply does not work at all with our current naming system.

REPLACEMENT: Character Name Change Request Vouchers (2) & Ornate Runic Letter Set: Backers will receive two name change request vouchers and one set of Ornate Runic Letter Decorations.

Sentinel2 and Luca Xante like this.
  3. Numa

Numa Avatar

The rationale for early persistence for episode 2 is much weaker since all the basic game mechanics and stuff were already firmed up during episode 1's persistence period.

Also the alpha/beta for episode 2 will probably follow the regular QA cycle and process. We won't be seeing the monthly wipes of the regular playerbase again hopefully.

4. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Especially after those fat asteroids!

Thadeus Crook and Numa like this.
  5. Dermott

Dermott Avatar

So should we wipe anytime a new player starts to give them a "fair chance"? How far do you think the game would go doing this?

What should we do for someone who starts two weeks from now after the double XP ends?

6. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

Don't think I said anything about "fair chance" not an issue. Not my topic. Maybe someone else can help you with that conversation.

7. Dermott

Dermott Avatar

Then why worry about a wipe after the game had been openly in Persistence for quite some time?

8. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

Because it's about the launch. This was the most underwhelming launch I have ever seen. Port lost sight of this due to the lack of the wipe.

When the physical items show up in the mail. Opening them up weeks/months after the launch will also be lacking in excitement. I will probably leave them in the shipping package and toss them into storage. Read the Blade of the Avatar, that I have been avoiding, in 20 years might be the way to go.

9. Tsumo2

Tsumo2 Avatar

Hell hath no such fury.

10. Tiki Pirate

Tiki Pirate Avatar

I actually did my quest reset at launch and have really enjoyed playing alongside new players.

@Ristra, I understand your concerns about launch, but 'launch' is really more about symantics. I really see 'launch' as the next step - not the birth of SOTA.

Due to the nature of open development, the realese of this game is inherently different than than games that we bought off the shelf eons ago . Sure, many games have a more traditional alpha/beta phase, but I sense this model has been subject to change. A traditional development cycle was not the option chosen for various reasons, for better or worse. It is was it is. No going back. What is the point worrying about it now?

We are hurling through space clinging to the side of a rock that is spinning at several thousand miles an hour. Things change. They don't always work as expected. Count yourself lucky, make the best of things and enjoy the ride.

BTW - if you want to level up fishing or need fish - look me up in game :)

Numa likes this.
  11. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

Understanding all of that. Could the launch have been better? It's my firm belief that the launch was a deadline for them and that is it. No focus on making it memorable in any way. I believe this is 100% due to persistence.

And you are right, there is no reason to worry about it, I am not. It goes into the lesson learned file. I will never be in the same situation again. Many decisions have been made of the life of the development of this game I would not have made. I can live with them, none of the bother me, but I will never support a no wipe launch format - ever.

Weins201 likes this.
  12. Cock of the North

Cock of the North Avatar

You know what the difference here is.

People saying, it doesn't matter you will catch up.

And people like me who came to the game and look around and FEEL like you are never going to catch up. Regardless of whether you actually can or not, the game is already quite daunting when you realise how much you have to grind if you actually do want to catch up.

No matter whether it is, or isn't. It caters towards the already existing playerbase rather than any new playerbase.

And the matter of fact is, a lot of people are going to be discouraged by that.

They said it themselves, the first 15 minutes is the most important. If you look around it looks like you missed the boat 2 years ago to a lot of new players.

It did not discourage me but there is no denying I felt that exact same feeling. Although I had bigger fears which was the empty lots which I have already voiced my concern about.

It's not even worth debating. Obviously it is the way it is and they aren't gonna wipe it now (lol) just because someone complains about it.

Comments like, "should we wipe on release 2 as well" make me both laugh and despair for the human race. This was obviously the official launch. But Realistically it wasn't. The official launch was Persistance.

Here is a question about perspective.

The PvP charts were wiped for launch. Why? What difference does it really make to a player?

Mykll likes this.
  13. Floors

Floors Avatar

I didn't really understand the need for a "launch" anyway. It's an online game getting updated monthly... the quests are still being updated so the launch wasn't because it was "complete". Just a way to get some lapsed backers back who got tired of the pre-release. Which is not a big deal.

HoustonDragon and Weins201 like this.
  14. Almar

Almar Avatar

It's not a race, not everyone starts at the same time.

I arrived in UO a year after it launched, there was a busy, thriving, community and it added to my experience as I played for the following seven years.

I didn't expect the server to be wiped just because I'd finally noticed the game.

Barugon, Tiki Pirate, Bigg and 5 others like this.
  15. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

Good sir, you are too resonable for this forum.

Mortanius, Tiki Pirate, Bigg and 4 others like this.
  16. HoustonDragon

HoustonDragon Avatar

As I understood from discussions, there were some legal things dealing with once the game was actually declared "launched", which is why they waited. But also as stated, they have been pretty open and upfront keeping folks informed about the releases, and when the persistent world was established.

I get people don't always like catching up, but it is the nature of the MMO beast.

17. xadoor

xadoor Avatar

but the expectation of a wipe at launch is totally understandable. The OP had a valid POV. Not a POV that can(or should) change anything as that decision is long under the bridge.

OP can either enjoy the game as it is or go find something else to do. Either way I mark his POV as understandable.

Mykll likes this.
  18. Magos

Magos Avatar

I'm a member of multiple MMO playing communities where SotA has a really bad reputation and poor reviews. The early persistance with no wipe at launch is one of the big issues.

It doesn't affect us who play but it has and will cost the game funds from many potential players. We shouldn't dismiss feedback from people like the OP - the message of potential players needs to be considered by the devs for future decision making and planning.

Mykll likes this.
  19. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

Fair enough.

20. mass

mass Avatar

You guys should take care not to trivialize potential players' concern regarding this issue. Back when they were making this decision, many of us suggested they would receive this type of feedback from some players on launch; now they are receiving it. The best we can do is explain what the reality is and let folks decide for themselves. But if you dismiss their concerns as being unimportant (and perhaps unintelligent) then you simply validate to them that this is clearly not the game or community they want to join. Some observations for clarity:

1. Has the game been persistent in terms of advancement since summer 2016?
    Yes.

2. Will there be a wipe?
    No.

3. Can I eventually become competitive with other players regarding PVE content?
    Yes. Eventually, you can out level all current PVE content with enough time invested.

4. Can I eventually become competitive with other players in PVP?
    This depends on your physical skill with the game and your strategic knowledge of the game combined with your time investment. If you are a very good PVPer, there is no reason you couldn't start now and become 'a top' (though maybe not 'the top') PVPer, eventually. It is also possible that very good PVPer's playing since persistence who continue to play at an intense rate will always have an advantage over you (but that number of players is very low).

5. Is there an advancement cap?
    Sort of. There is supposedly a cap at each skill level of 200, but no one has reached it yet, and I don't think anyone is close.

6. Are there diminishing returns on higher levels of advancement?
    Yes. The power gap between an ADV Level 80 character and an ADV Level 70 character is much greater than the power gap between 130 and 120. It takes much, much less time to go from 70 to 80 as it takes to go from 120 to 130.

7. What, if any, limitations are there on character advancement?
    Players are limited to a maximum earning of 1 million xp per hour.

8. Were methods of character advancement available to players during early access that accelerated character advancement that are no longer available?
    Yes. Everyone has to make their own decision whether or not this is important to them.

9. Is the game more enjoyable to play now than it was in 2016 to advance your character?
    Subjective, but I would submit there is at least objectively a greater variety of things to now than there was during the beginning of persistence to advance your character.

I personally don't join established games. I play solo, at a casual pace, and it takes me a long time to level up. I've been playing since persistence and am at ADV level 87. If you join a guild full of high level players that support you and play a lot everyday, you can catch up to me in a few months. This all comes down to what you want out of a game; for some, it makes no difference, for others it is a deal-breaker. Neither person is wrong.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2018
    Luis, Mykll, Numa and 3 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.