Earn titles by and for role playing

Discussion in 'Quests & Lore' started by dragon8u, Dec 29, 2013.

?

Is Earn titles by and for role playing a good idea?

1. Yes

46.2%
  2. No

53.8%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dragon8u

dragon8u Avatar

I want the ability to earn the titles of Barron, Knight, Sharif, and others by and for role playing.

2. Umbrae

Umbrae Avatar

I voted no, but only on the specifics of the post. Certain titles (perhaps Founders Only; not familiar with the specifics) are related to the pledge levels are meant to be unique for that purpose. They were advertised as a way for us to be identified as people who made the game possible. Obviously those are titles that should not be available.

However, I am not opposed to there being certain titles that can be earned in-game in relation to certain accomplishments or even related to the achievement system. Obviously people can RP anything though. :)

3. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

I agree. Part of the reason I pledged at The Lord level was for The Lord title.

4. High Baron O`Sullivan

High Baron O`Sullivan Avatar

But there was no "lord" title for your pledge level when you pledged. So how did you expect it?

5. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

I
    When I upgraded my pledge level from knight to lord. As a founder there is the title of Lord and High Baron.

6. smack

smack Avatar

I think titles can and should be earned in-game. Just not the same kind and definitely not the same names as those rewarded for backing the game. This can be done as part of the achievement system, whenever that is implemented.

7. Violation Clauth

Violation Clauth Avatar

If they take away the backer exclusive titles I will be sorely disappointed... 90% of my value in the pledge system is based on that title and I want it to stay exclusively available to those who backed the game. Other titles... sure... but not those.

8. High Baron O`Sullivan

High Baron O`Sullivan Avatar

I do not think Portalarium would ever make that mistake.

9. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

If I had the title Archduke and it was given out in game I think I would go nuclear

10. Lord Kiron Maedun

Lord Kiron Maedun Avatar

I like the idea of earning Titles, but I am completely against giving out ones that are given to Backers.

Gabriel Nightshadow and NirAntae like this.
  11. Pendragon

Pendragon Avatar

In the woods looking for a wandering healer.
    I voted no for the same reasons as Umbrae. I could care less if they added titles just not the ones given out to backers.

12. NirAntae

NirAntae Avatar

I don't feel I can honestly vote, as, like several others have said, I like the idea of being able to earn titles in game (and I am pretty sure that is planned, given the emphasis of the "special gold font" for founder titles to set them apart), but I would be quite upset if two of the three titles you gave as an example were able to be earned in game. (Baron, Knight)

Gabriel Nightshadow likes this.
  13. Lord Melvek

Lord Melvek Avatar

I would love to see the same prefix or suffix design that was implemented in Warhammer Online. You receive titles based on certain in-game achievements. There is tons available like the Colorblind if you dye 1,000 items or the Psychopath if you killed 10,000 players.

There is also the good old system of Fame and Karmafrom Ultima Online. I miss my old Notorious Melvek.

OSullivan likes this.
  14. Ronan

Ronan Avatar

Other possible titles:
    Pet Whisperer: Tame x amount of animals (when tamer is available)
    Scavenger: Located x amount of hidden treasure chests
    Treasure Hunter: even more treasure chests
    Glutton: Thief x amount of food items

I think there are endless titles that can be awarded without messing with the Founder and Benefactor titles.

smack and Lord Gréagóir like this.
  15. Miracle Dragon

Miracle Dragon Legend of the Hearth

I voted 'Yes' with the assumption that new titles earned 'by and for' roleplaying would be different from the ones awarded exclusively to backers of the game. How lame would it be to do some fantastic in-game roleplaying just to get awarded a title you already own as a backer? Of course they would have to be new titles.

Therefore, I voted 'Yes', because "New, different" titles is rightfully assumed in the question.

16. dragon8u

dragon8u Avatar

Those not have any roleplay value and they seem like professions. Potential role playing titles should not have been made exclusive.

17. dragon8u

dragon8u Avatar

To that object to the titles that where granted to the backers being granted for roleplay I'd like to ask: Where did the bakers rewords descriptions say that the titles where exclusive?

18. dragon8u

dragon8u Avatar

The title of Knight is not unique, it's been used hundreds of times in hundreds of games and it has more to do with in game role plat then being an patron.

19. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

I have long thought that titles should come with responsibility as well as rewards. I'm actually surprised that RG is ok with this not being the case, but he's adamant about being able to sit in a chair. It seems to me that there's a huge missed opportunity here.

dragon8u likes this.
  20. Miracle Dragon

Miracle Dragon Legend of the Hearth

The first title awarded to backers states:
    • Available only to pre-launch backers, your in-game avatar will receive the honorific title of "Benefactor" to be proudly displayed for all to see (title visibility controlled by player).

The rest don't include the "available only to pre-launch backers", although all of the founder titles are 'exclusive gold lettering'. So there is room to interpret this as all the regular benefactor titles other than the first is available in-game as well. in fact, all of the founder titles could be available in-game too, just not in gold. Good catch sir. I believe most assumed the rest of the titles would be exclusive because the first tier title was, but that may not be the case.

dragon8u, NirAntae and Margard like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.