Which light armor and 1hs should I use - dual wield swords/caster

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Danaboo, Apr 7, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Danaboo

Danaboo Avatar

Could really use some advice on what light armor and which one hand swords (which sword type and which metal) to use for a dual wielding swords build, using ignite weapon. Presuming leather armor - haven't played the last couple of years so I don't know what the varieties of leather armor are or what enchants/masterwork are available. I'm following @Sara Dreygon s excellent guide so I think I know which mastwerworks to work towards on the swords. https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/f...guide-to-becoming-an-epic-swordswoman.114134/

Numa and Sara Dreygon like this.
  2. Sara Dreygon

Sara Dreygon Avatar

Hello @Danaboo,

@Mac2 is a light armor wiz. He could probably help you out.

As far as sword type and metal I prefer bronze hilt bronze blade for the sword but might be trying out meteoric hilt bronze blade soon. The difference between the two is that meteoric gives straight weapon damage so it makes the 7-21 damage of a longsword higher while bronze adds crit chance and crit damage. I prefer the higher crits over the more consistent damage however Chris just nixed the 2x crit chance from behind which is why I may go meteoric hilt and bronze blade.

For type of sword, longsword. Shortsword and dagger attack faster and give a poison bonus but I'm a big hits type of player.

Danaboo and Mac2 like this.
  3. Jezebel Caerndow

Jezebel Caerndow Avatar

Depends on the levels of your fire skills, and your follow through skill, if you can, bronze bone armor would prolly be the way to go if you can handle the fizzle. You will want the avoidance and dex MW and if you can the dodge bonus on pants.

Numa, Danaboo and Sara Dreygon like this.
  4. Sara Dreygon

Sara Dreygon Avatar

Or whatever you can get @Danaboo as this piece takes a dragon neckbone :eek:.

Hornpipe and Danaboo like this.
  5. Danaboo

Danaboo Avatar

@Sara Dreygon @Mac2 Thankyou both so much - learned so much from both of you the last few days. Exactly what I needed. And thanks for all your hard work making videos Mac, I've been watching them through and making notes on them.

I'm a bit of a newb - my Fire Skills are all only at 40. I'm only just about to go and learn Follow Through having just got to 40 in Inner Calm. Blades I'm a little better - 82 Bladed Combat, 70 in Combat Glyphs, 60 Speed and Vital Points, just now hit 80 in Blade Mastery so off to learn Blade Specialization. I didn't know about bone armor, but just looked it up and the fizzle seems a little high and I probably can't kill trolls yet. Which leather armor would you suggest please ?

I love ignite weapon (and ring of fire) but looking around it seems a lot of melee use sooting rain as their heal of choice. Does the attunement or level in fire and water hurt each other like back in the day or has that been changed ? Don't know whether I should be working in opposing magic trees.

Nikko, Numa and Sara Dreygon like this.
  6. Jezebel Caerndow

Jezebel Caerndow Avatar

Supple is cheap as it only needs suet, and give crit chance, hard leather is beetles, expensive they are, but gives weapons damage. As for the peices to use, epic legs and chest and fortified on the rest.

7. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

I do dual wield and light armor.

I prefer full meteoric daggers and shortswords. I use poison liberally.

Daggers and shortswords have a very high base crit chance already, so i use hardened leather and meteoric blades to max out the damage.

I have high dex which makes the dodge skill more effective and helps my crits some.

Nikko, Nelzie, Numa and 3 others like this.
  8. Lazlo

Lazlo Avatar

I use quite a few different weapons for different situations, but I use meteoric long swords a lot and think that meteoric blades are a little underrated in general. They're good for rend damage and they probably compare more favorably to bronze than they parse since there's a little bit less overkill damage. It's also easy to mine a ton of iron and get exactly the meteoric blades that you want vs. burning up a gajillion gold worth of tin to make bronze.

Magos and Sara Dreygon like this.
  9. Magos

Magos Avatar

@Sara Dreygon @Mac2

1. Does +skill dmg (eg +15% Thrust Damage) on both weapons stack for 30% ?

2. Does weapon base damage affect just auto attacks or is it part of the skill (eg Thrust) calculation ? ie will you do the same or less dmg with Thrust if you have a Short Sword in your main hand than you would with a Dagger in your main hand

10. Nelzie

Nelzie Avatar

This is very close to what I do, build wise. I use poison less often these days, especially since mastering blades and specializing in Blades. That specialization has made my character into a whirling machine of death!

Shortsword and Dagger, both with Meteoric Hilts and I went Iron on the Blades, but... I might play around with other types, when I can find recipes... Copper is the only other one that I have. I have my short sword as Tempest and the dagger as Gaism. I got LUCKY on the dagger and rolled up Tremor 10%, which is just another tiny bit that helps out with chewing through mobs.

11. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

There is a component vendor in New Heaven. Only one im aware of. Sells various sword parts for youto build with without needing recipies

Rentier likes this.
  12. Jezebel Caerndow

Jezebel Caerndow Avatar

I am pretty sure the masterwork abilities will stack if you have one in each hand. I also think the base damage of the weapon is part of the math of your skills, so you will get more damage from a longsword then you would a dagger.

Magos and Sara Dreygon like this.
  13. Sara Dreygon

Sara Dreygon Avatar

Aye... it's very nice :D.

Definitely affects damage from glyph attacks. You can even see this by equipping types of swords in your main hand and hovering over the Thrust tooltip.

Magos and Rentier like this.
  14. tc91101

tc91101 Avatar

I’ll have to check that vendor out.

15. Orlac

Orlac Avatar

Not seeing New Heaven on map

16. Sway

Sway Avatar

It's south east of brit

17. algumacoisaqq

algumacoisaqq Avatar

I was wondering if that is me... and I think it is me :)
    Never sold anything, though.

Mostly I have some bronze blades and hilt for sale, but really, I think I could craft anything from bronze and meteoric ingot (except bone plates). The vendor is a little hidden, in a side alley on new heaven - name is Under the sun. New heaven itself is right by the side of verat chaos. You could find them south of Elads Lighthouse, across the sea.
    BUT, if you want to, you could send me 2 copper ore and 2 tin for each bronze ingot I would use on crafting the materials. So if you want a bronze longsword, that is 1 bronze hilt and 1 bronze blade, I can give that back to you if you send me 10 copper and 10 tin. For meteoric you will need 10 iron ore, 5 nickel and 5 tungsten.
    My avatar's name is Peloras Bloodwave, if you are interested.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.