Paladin build

Discussion in 'Skills and Combat' started by Albreuin Meysinger, Apr 9, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Albreuin Meysinger

Albreuin Meysinger Avatar

Hey everyone. Hope you are well.

I'm sorry because I know that this question have been answered before on the forums. I haven't found any new information regarding a build.

I want to reroll my paladin because she was created in an earlier release and I'd rather start over..

Can anyone help me make a paladin/knight template build?

I want to use sword and shield and heavy armor. Dabble somewhat into Earth magic for sustain and into life for undead smiting.

What I'm looking for is tips to actually make a working build, not just one that is fun in concept.

Doesn't have to have the best dps but it need to be able to survive on its own (solo player).

I would love to have som life magic but I'm unsure how viable it is with heavy armor..

If anyone could point me in the right direction.

Stay awesome everyone!

2. Stryker Sparhawk

Stryker Sparhawk Avatar

I would consider Earth, Life and Sun magics.

Earth and Life have less fizzle than other magic trees for heavy armor.

You are already looking at iconic weapon and armor builds, it appears.

Nelzie and Abi Dhalzim like this.
  3. Albreuin Meysinger

Thank you.

The issue I have is creating something that works in the game and is just not a fantasy concept.

Like, is it worth it to invest into life magic just to fight undead or is it a waste of exp?

I've heard of some people that avoid magic with their melee builds to make more realistic knight characters.

Mostly I'm just looking for ideas for something that is not unviable and firstmost is a knight not a magician. ☺

4. ErikRulez

ErikRulez Avatar

Take a look at this post by @Sara Dreygon . Link There is a lot of excellent information in there that will help you craft your build.

Sara Dreygon and Abi Dhalzim like this.
  5. Nelzie

Nelzie Avatar

To be best balanced, you'd have to build up some skill in all of the magic trees. Just to build up resistances to spells from certain schools, but... once you get those built up, you don't HAVE to use them in your everyday deck.

You can build a solid, special build deck with just Shield, Sword, Life and Earth magic and make a fairly respectable Paladin/Knight type of character especially if you specialize in Blades. I specialize in Blades with my Dual Wield Leather Armor Clad more general magic using build and blades are very effective once you get the Specialization up near 60 points. VERY effective.

6. Albreuin Meysinger

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

margaritte and Sara Dreygon like this.
  7. Stryker Sparhawk

Stryker Sparhawk Avatar

Knights would use a variety of weapons, not just swords.

As you are invoking ‘Paladin’ - the thought of intermixing life magic fits a certain iconic feature set. Again, there are other ways to go with that.

Abi Dhalzim and Nelzie like this.
  8. Albreuin Meysinger

Thank you!

I'm reading through Sara Dreygon's forum thread that was linked by @econner.

It's great!

Sara Dreygon likes this.
  9. Nelzie

Nelzie Avatar

I should have added "Heavy Armor" skills in there too. Those are nice to play with as well.

10. Ryodin Stormwind

Ryodin Stormwind Avatar

I've been trying a Blades, Shield, Heavy Armor, Life, and Earth build for some time now. I'm GM Bladed Combat and specialized in Blades. I have 84 strength unbuffed, and 108 strength buffed (Strength of Earth and Inner Strength).

I do pretty well, but feel like I don't have a ton of room to grow at this point. I can take on 2-3 T5 mobs at the same time, and can deal with T6 and T7 if they are non-magic users. I'm not sure how viable of an end-game build this is going to be though. I feel like I'm going to end up gimped, and want to re-roll into a light armor build incorporation more magic to deal out the damage needed at the higher levels. I just feel like my defenses aren't going to be good enough, even if I GM them all, to handle end-game tier stuff.

I'm pretty worried at this point about the viability of a tank style build.

Abi Dhalzim likes this.
  11. Nelzie

Nelzie Avatar

You should build up your defenses in the other magic schools by adventuring with those spells for a while, drop to light armor and work up magic to get some decent resistances.

I'm AL 73 and I regularly crush 4 to 7 Tier5 Mobs, Hardened Elf Fighters, Mages and Archers all at the same time, with just dual wield short sword and dagger, leather armor, a handful of spells and when there are THAT many mobs on me, I hit my blades with poison and just keep an eye on my focus and health. I hardly ever use more than just the basic Healing and Focus potions too.

Ryodin Stormwind and Abi Dhalzim like this.
  12. Vodalian

Vodalian Avatar

Healing is useful to stay alive even if you don’t use the damage to undead spell. It works very well with heavy armor in my experience.

One question is how much you want to invest in earth. Just the buffs and passives or some damage spells as well? I think both can work.

Also one decision is what shield spell to use since you can only have one. Crystal (earth) only shines with the mastery bonus. Death is kind of anti paladin. If you pick ice, maybe look at some other water magic as well, like douse and soothing rain.

But don’t forget what’s your bread and butter - the weapon, shield and armor skills. Good luck!

Nelzie and Abi Dhalzim like this.
  13. Ryodin Stormwind

Ryodin Stormwind Avatar

What are y'all wearing in your ring, necklace, and belt slots? What would you consider Best in Slot?

Abi Dhalzim likes this.
  14. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

Your basic concept is very simple and very viable - Swords / Shield / Heavy Armor / Life / Water / Earth

Those skills alone and you can stick within the "Paladin" template you like. You will need some focus and Dexterity also helps.

You do not have to think to much into your ideas and use the Spells / Skills you choose from those trees.

To be "Viable" just get all skills to 80 in all those trees then you can go back and work on getting skills higher in places you think work better.

Do not overlook Dex and Intell

15. Nelzie

Nelzie Avatar

Whatever works best for your interests. What I do isn't necessarily what you should do.

Abi Dhalzim likes this.
  16. Curt

Curt Avatar

I suggest getting sun magics healing spell while not powerful it perfectly fits the image of a paladin as a shining warrior

Abi Dhalzim likes this.
  17. Ryodin Stormwind

Ryodin Stormwind Avatar

I'm just looking for a little insight into what others think is good. See if I'm on the right track or not. Maybe learn something I'm not aware of.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2018
    Abi Dhalzim likes this.
  18. Nelzie

Nelzie Avatar

I would bonus up the school(s) of magic you are focusing on. However... there are some things that CAN pop up when you are enchanting a jeweled weapon or armor that are better than other things. Like... my leather chest piece has a "Haste on hit" ability. It kicks off fairly often when my avatar is hit by an enemy, it speeds up my attacks and it stacks with the light armor ability of Flurry. So... when both kick off... My avatar is a blender of blades. (As long as I don't kick off any abilities that interrupt the auto attack.)

Abi Dhalzim likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.