1. Here you will find official announcements and updates. These announcements are also linked in the Official SotA Discord server.
    We encourage comments from the community! To keep the announcements official, we ask that comment threads be created in the General forums for player input.

Thanks!

Pattern Removers: Coming in R54

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by DarkStarr, Apr 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarkStarr

DarkStarr Executive Producer SOTA Developer

After many requests from players we will be making Pattern Removers available in Release 54. These will allow you to remove patterns from items that have patterns applied to them without salvaging the item or using another pattern. The item will then return to the original visual. Consumable patterns will be destroyed in this process but Eternal Patterns (patterns that come from Bundle, Pledge, and Add On Gear) will be recovered.

Previously the only way to recover an applied Eternal Pattern was to apply another pattern or salvage the gear.

Pattern Removers will be applied at a crafting station (just like a pattern) and can be purchased in the Add On Store or from Crown Merchants.

NOTE: Pattern Removers will fix the existing issue that is currently preventing players from reapplying patterns to heraldry banners (since there are currently no other patterns for banners). We will also be providing complementary pattern removers when you pay to unlock your heraldry submission when you choose to unlock it.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2018
  2. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

For free or you gonna charge us a COTO (or the like) to do it?

Roycestein Kaelstrom likes this.
  3. DarkStarr

As stated in the OP the cost will be in the purchase as in "can be purchased in the Add On Store or from Crown Merchants"

4. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

I really feel that this (and dye removers) should be available in-game for just gold coins. Making people pay real money for such items seems pretty crappy.

Gadfrey Zukes, Katu, Shift and 4 others like this.
  5. DarkStarr

I'm sorry you feel that way but in both cases there are methods still available that do not require real money. Using another dye or using another pattern still work and both are available in game for in game gold.

6. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Except for the banners.

7. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

S Mart Dandy Department always carries Dye Removers for IGG, and no one ever buys. We've in the tents in Brittany Alleys, straight from the default entrance. Come be the first!

We'll pick up some pattern removers for you as well.

8. DarkStarr

Good point. Reminds me that I forgot to add the blurb that unlocking your heraldry submission will provide complementary pattern removers.

9. Balec Fares deCani

Balec Fares deCani Avatar

Will this be retroactive to those who unlock their submission prior to R54?

10. Doctorface

Doctorface Avatar

thank you! this is exactly what I wanted!

Roycestein Kaelstrom and By Tor like this.
  11. Vyrin

Vyrin Avatar

How do cosmetic changes (part of the sandbox) take priority over this: https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/forum/index.php?threads/q2-2018-schedule-update.115914/

I know the Q2 schedule says it is not the only things you are working on, but could this not have been a little lower on the priorities considering all that still needs to be done? I've never understood the "players" who continuously advocate for cosmetic changes in the light of bigger priorities, although they may be looking at SotA as just a sandbox MMO, so I will try to be sympathetic.

Chatele, Mykll, Womby and 1 other person like this.
  12. Balec Fares deCani

If it would help you "understand" this "player" - the heraldry system is the only reason I've been the in the game these days after many months away. I've been looking forward to this for a long time. The lag and hitching still drive me crazy, and are just as I remember them, but I might just put up with it if I have the ability to customize my house and clothes with my emblem. Given the lack of an in-game preview for the blazon, the only workaround is to submit, see what it looks like, unlock using a voucher and resubmit...at which point, without the pattern remover one cannot update their banners.

I'd love to have the lag and hitching fixed, but frankly not sure if that will ever happen. I'll take what I can get, which in this case is my blazon.

Gadfrey Zukes and fantalio like this.
  13. Vyrin

Vyrin Avatar

Doesn't that speak to a greater need? And do you think this change will keep as many players in the game as working on the other stated priorities? I'm not saying this should not have been done, just questioning the order.

Heraldry is a very cool feature, but imho keeping people waiting to undo heraldry patterns is not as big a deal as keeping people waiting for a satisfoactory new player experience, performance improvements, improved questing, etc. I'm arguing for them to stick to their priorities, not mine. Sometimes it's best for the game when things don't work out in our favor.

Chatele, Mykll, Elwyn and 1 other person like this.
  14. Balec Fares deCani

You seemed concerned about "understanding" players - which I tried to help with. I did not demand nor request pattern removers, simply asked a question of support how to effectively use the voucher I was given to reset. Putting in viable and working systems is what will help with user acquisition and retention. I didn't ask for heraldry to be put in before it was ready, nor was that clearly the case in the release notes.

15. Vyrin

Vyrin Avatar

Then you probably weren't in the group of "players" referenced above. Or if requests like this were the genesis of the idea, then there is a step missing in the logic as to how pattern removers made sense. Anyway, enough said.

I think your point about putting something in before it was ready - right before official launch - is key. At the very least, I am glad it keeps you around for now!

16. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

All heraldry items can be lost in PvP? Correct?

From I am reading you have to break the heraldry armor item into a pattern and applying to another like piece before it will show ? Correct?

17. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

I believe that you can use one of the supplied patterns on the Founder Heraldry Armor itself.

Duke Gréagóir likes this.
  18. Gadfrey Zukes

Gadfrey Zukes Avatar

This heraldry process has been disapointing. I read everything I could find - the clearest info made by players I might add - in order to recreate my design in transparency and to best fill a square area. No previews of how it would work on in-game surfaces. I had to cross my fingers and submit to find out if it worked. I applied it to a small heraldry banner only to have a tiny icon applied to the center.

After a 5 year wait, imagine how that felt. Knowing I would have to pay another $25 to unlock and try again? Imagine how that feels. Would the second attempt look any better anyway? Who knows. After hundreds already spent to date in pledges and telethons just because I loved this sandboxes environment, now I have to spend money to try to get my reward to look good?

At this critical point in the game’s life, you would think a feature like this - which could eventually generate good revenue when offered to non-founders - would have had more up front effort put into at least showing a preview on the applicable equipment before the commitment is made. This previewing could have at least been built into the web account system.

I am now super-dissapointed about the one unique way I could have put my mark on the game.

Boris Mondragon, Chatele and Mykll like this.
  19. Gadfrey Zukes

Gadfrey Zukes Avatar

I also thought I was supposed to be able to put it on a founder shield, but I don’t even have a pattern for that.

found it - as a non-eternal pattern?

Last edited: Apr 15, 2018
  20. Lained

Lained Avatar

This is only the first iteration of the tool, hopefully a preview happen, in the mean time you should have two complimentary heraldry unlock vouchers.

Alley Oop likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.