Discussion of Music (not just release feedback)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ben_Hroth, Apr 12, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ben_Hroth

Ben_Hroth Avatar

I'm sorry I'm just (re)discovering the joys of writing and playing music in Novia, but I have a number of questions like:

1) Why does the piano sound like a harpsichord?

2) How do the "one man bands" compare between the crafted two and the add-on store one? Are the number and type of instruments different? Is the add-on store one the only one to get as many as 5 instruments? (it seems the crafted two only have 2 instruments?)

3) If you have a one-man band (say a 5-instrument one) how do you write ABC files to play all five instruments and can you do so with multiple simultaneous channels?

4) When I play a piano now, many notes are skipped as if you cannot play a proper chord (say three piano keys struck at once), and it turns out random on what keys are played. Is it true that the piano (and other instruments) are not polyphonic?

Thanks for directing me on where to post this question!

Cheers,

Ben

2. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

Good questions all...... @hroth

I have no answers, so we'll both wait and see.........;)

hroth likes this.
  3. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

Richard
    More instruments.
    If you want the 4-man version we got in a telethon let me know and I'll send you one.
    Now, I haven't tried this myself but the announcement was that one would have several files. Gimme a few and I'll find it for you.
    EDIT
    Here we go:
    http://sotawiki.net/sota/Commands#Play
    You divide up the instruments.
    Don't know but from the music I've found and heard it sounds like we can't.
    Just take an instrument and use the 1-8 keys. It doesn't let you play multiple ones at once instead it seems to want to finish a note before moving on.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2018
    hroth and FrostII like this.
  4. Ben_Hroth

Ben_Hroth Avatar

Thanks Spoon!

The polyphonic answer is disappointing... All this great music and no polyphony? Many MIDI players permit polyphony. I wonder if this is an oversight, who has been the developer in charge of music and audio?

And yes, I would love to compare each of the one man bands. Have there been four versions then? (Two crafted two-piece, one stretch goal four-piece, one add-on five-piece?)

I will organize a list of the instruments for each band and test polyphony across instruments of the one man band.

And Richard got his harpsichord, he really thinks a piano should be another harpsichord?

And where is the Kobold Electric Bass?? :)

Cheers

Ben

5. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

Don't take my word for it though, it is just a suspicion I have from the music I've heard...
    ;)
    Yup.
    http://sotawiki.net/sota/5-Piece_One-Man_Band
    http://sotawiki.net/sota/4-Piece_One-Man_Band
    http://sotawiki.net/sota/Harp_&_Drum_One-Man_Band
    http://sotawiki.net/sota/Lute_&_Drum_One-Man_Band
    I think it was when they implemented the first Benefactor Piano way back whenever and he wanted it to sound more like the harpsichord.
    Then I simply think that even though we then later got it that unless it is reported/given enough attention it just stayed like that.
    The one who has done the implementation in sota was @oneandonly , however the initial coding/work was done by a community member for her own game but she worked with Portalarium so that they could implement it in their code as well.
    However I think she has since moved on so I won't @ her here.

hroth likes this.
  6. oneandonly

oneandonly Dev Emeritus Dev Emeritus

Certain instruments are polyphonic. Actually, the only ones that aren't are the flute and cowbell. I have actually gone back and forth on the flute, as we don't have a nice way to make it attenuate between each note. Making it polyphonic makes it sound more like a pipe organ though. I am all for a Kobold series of instruments, sounds like a great idea!

Hornpipe, Grimace2, hroth and 5 others like this.
  7. Leostorm

Leostorm Avatar

full drum set please :) ather powered guitar? yes!

hroth likes this.
  8. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

Try a grand piano. It sounds more piano-y

Making band files requires you to have an abc (preferably of different instrument tracks in the same song) for each i dividual instrument and then have a text file with each i strument listed with the desired abc file assined to each:

Harp=harptrack.abc
    Drum=drumtrack.abc
    Lute=lutetrack.abc
    Flute=flutetrack.abc
    Streetorgan=Streetorgantrack.abc

hroth likes this.
  9. idaniod

idaniod Avatar

I have a grand piano right next to my harpsichord and you can definitely tell a difference!

hroth likes this.
  10. mute209

mute209 Avatar

Can "band files" be copied onto sheet music?

hroth likes this.
  11. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

Yes

hroth and mute209 like this.
  12. Ben_Hroth

Ben_Hroth Avatar

Thanks to everyone in helping here and @Vas Corp Por with his timely livestream to get my polyphonic working!

Quick question, what are the instruments in the corresponding one-man bands? I'm assuming from @EMPstrike's reply above the five instruments are:
    1. Harp
    2. Drum
    3. Lute
    4. Flute
    5. Streetorgan
    Which one is missing on the four-piece band?

Cheers,

Ben

13. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

4 piece omb lacks streetorgan

Crafted ones are lute and drum (which is awsome) or harp and drum (i dont like because you cant get any bass out of it)

hroth likes this.
  14. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Also we really need a bass instrument and a horn. We do use the accordion and the flute is very low sound now compared to how it sounded before so it is not enough contrast sometimes. I have some 8 part songs. Please, Please, Please. We did really well with the Street Organ sound in this song. I was surprised at what it added to the song. See twitch video below.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/250106746

hroth, Spoon and Jaesun like this.
  15. Ben_Hroth

Ben_Hroth Avatar

Is there a definitive list of all the instruments available by voice? (And I was listening hard but couldn't really tell the difference between a piano and grand piano).

I wonder if we could craft a SoundFont with all the instruments in game to help with editing music.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.