Performance Questions

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Herby, Apr 12, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Herby

Herby Avatar

Hey all,

I've been playing for quite a while and performance has been pretty bad in general. Today I checked the minimum specs for the first time and I believe my PC is way over it but I still get an average of 17 fps. It can peak to 35 in non town zones, but in town it can go as low as 10.

I am running the game on the 'Fastest' graphical preset.

I have a duel Xeon X5650 with 12 cores / 24 threads in total and a GTX 1060.

With those specs is that the kind of performance I should be getting?

Cheers

FrostII likes this.
  2. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

What RAM do you have? What OS? Can you do /bug, then come back and paste the info into a message?

I know a system like that isn't likely to have less than 16GB, but if you don't, that's an issue. I usually get 30ish in towns and 45-60 everywhere else on Fastest at 1080p with a GT1030, i5-2400, 12GB RAM, and Windows 7. More than 4 cores doesn't help much right now, Xeon is more for servers than for games, how old is it?

EDIT: 2.66GHz, DDR3 1333, 6 cores each, can't tell right now when that model first appeared
    ...LGA1366 discontinued in 2012... so while the CPU should be enough, more cores still won't help

What's your screen resolution? If you're trying to run a 4K monitor, that's going to need a lot more from your GPU.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2018
  3. Cock of the North

Cock of the North Avatar

Once again I would say your CPU is too weak. The last guy I saw complainimg about having bad FPS because he had a 1080 had a better CPU than yours and I suspect it was his weak CPU causing his bad performance.

Regardless of what a game says its minimum or recommended specs are, for games out in the last 2 years I would generally recommend a much better CPU than that.

Its like buying expensive running shoes and then not putting laces in them when you go for a jog.

Your shoes will come off and you will probably get dog poo between your bare toes. Nobody wants that. Buy some good laces.

Upgrading my CPU in PCs makes a huge difference to other games FPS. PUBG is one recent example. I have tried a quite a few variations recently on the same rig just swapping varying high and low end CPUs but using same GFX card. It has a big effect.

4. August

August Avatar

Perhaps I should start a new thread but... I've been unable to log in for a couple of weeks now. The game stalls and crashes while attempting to load. Nothing has changed with my computer, I've been playing for quite some time. Tried logging in directly and through steam, same result... a crash at 65% load point.

5. Sorthious

Sorthious Avatar

You really need to post your specs if you want someone to diagnose your issue. What OS, CPU,GPU,RAM,Disk Drive type(HDD or SSD),etc. I would suggest a complete reinstall of the game as a possible fix for that situation.

6. August

August Avatar

Thank you, I'll give it a try.

Shroud of the Avatar [version: Unity 2017.3.1p3 (a66397957d3b)]
    UnityPlayer.dll caused an Access Violation (0xc0000005)
    in module UnityPlayer.dll at 0033:89fc04e9.
    Error occurred at 2018-04-13_060134.
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\SotA\Shroud of the Avatar.exe, run by alask.
    67% memory in use.
    12228 MB physical memory [4009 MB free].
    14084 MB paging file [4762 MB free].
    134217728 MB user address space [134211300 MB free].
    Write to location 00000000 caused an access violation.
    Context:
    RDI: 0x00000000 RSI: 0x00000000 RAX: 0x00000000
    RBX: 0xbc62c61a RCX: 0xbc62c61a RDX: 0x4fdff2e0
    RIP: 0x89fc04e9 RBP: 0x4fdff490 SegCs: 0x00000033
    EFlags: 0x00010287 RSP: 0x4fdff0f8 SegSs: 0x0000002b
    R8: 0xbc62c61a R9: 0x00000000 R10: 0x00000004
    R11: 0x00000000 R12: 0x06e3a1f0 R13: 0x4fdff6d8
    R14: 0x9be1dff0 R15: 0x1d41ca01

Sorthious likes this.
  7. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

Ive had performance problems this week as well and a conplete stall then crash once. Some times I break 30fps just fine other times in in the low 20s.

Not sure its computer related atm, 8700 i7 with a gtx 1080ti

This is something new to me also I never have problems, ive even dropped my refresh rate to 60hrtz.

8. August

August Avatar

The re-install solved the problem. Thank you, Sorthious.

9. Grimbone

Grimbone Avatar

I have a few computers I play on. All of my other computers run sota fine but my family room computer gpu does needs an upgrade. Here is the thing, I have been playing on the family computer since persistence and it ran perfect on the fastest settings. After the 2nd patch during the R52 Q&A the family room computers performance changed drastically. The first problem I noticed was the Novia Map performance was horrible but if I go to Hidden Vale it runs just fine. Also some scenes seem to take a performance hit now like south boundless forest but if I go to grannus colossus it runs fine.

I tried to troubleshoot this early and made a bug report on what I found and was told its the video card. Since that report I have found 2 other weird issues with this but have not bug reported since the family room video card isnt supported and they prob feel they are wasting their time. First thing I found is that if I stand on novia map and start switching resolutions from to 1080p to lower and then back up to 1080p eventually the novia map will run perfect. It is tricky to do and can take a minute of switching. Next thing I noticed is I can set the resolution to the lowest setting and sometimes when I enter or leave a scene it defaults back to 1080p.

Again, I would report the last 2 things I found but the family room gpu isnt supported. My best uneducated guess would be that resolutions are getting auto switched to a higher resolution behind the scenes and causing the performance issue.

EDIT TO ADD: I have had no crashing issues.

10. Enziet

Enziet Avatar

Yeah Xeon's wern't meant for gaming. I love when people build the "best" machine they can and end up using Xeon chips and wonder why things run like poop. Besides that make sure to have your windows Page file turned ON. If it's off your going to have a bad time, just like I did. I turned on my Page file and things started working. No crashing and much better performance.

Nelzie likes this.
  11. Diab Blackbow

Diab Blackbow Avatar

I run pretty good on my old GPU. It's always at 99% though.

User Specs:
    CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4670K CPU @ 3.40GHz (4) System RAM: 16321
    GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 Ti GPU RAM: 2015

12. Oakenhammer

Oakenhammer Avatar

I get about 30-4o FPS pretty consistently, sometimes up to 50+, but when I'm running through a freshly loaded scene (especially with houses), it may drop to 15 - 20 FPS for a bit while it loads and may cause some skipping. I run the game in "Fantastic" with pretty much every option turned on to maximize visual quality.

User Specs:
    CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7700HQ CPU @ 2.80GHz (8) System RAM: 32640
    GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 GPU RAM: 8074

13. Albreuin Meysinger

Albreuin Meysinger Avatar

I'm about to get hated on the forums for saying this.. but...

I really like the potential of this game but it runs terribly. That's the cold truth.

For everyone telling people to upgrade their hardware, buying SSDs... please just stop..

This isnt a Crysis game or some other performance testing tech demo. I.E Shroud does not have the graphical or technical prowess to run worse then other MMOS.

This game isnt next gen. It doesnt look better than ESO or GW2.

Go compare ESOs Clockwork City to any scene in SOTA. Placeables, detail, animation.

Shroud IMO is a great game that is held back mainly by its performance issues.

Im not a game designer. There is obv things I dont understand about why performance is shoddy in Shroud. I admit that it might not be an easy fix .

But im getting tired of people telling other to upgrade their computers when the issue is the game not what runs it.

Shrouds actual system requirements are insane for what is actually in the game. They tell a story about users having to brute forcing past the issues and developers seemingly not trying to lower them.

The performance is better than earlier releases, yes and thats awesome, but the game has long ways to go .

Again I might be naive and mission something that makes oprimization difficult, it might be fixed later in patches but when they continue to raise requirements to insane levels then my spider warning sense is tingling.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2018
  14. Herby

Herby Avatar

Well its a nice assumption but no I did not build a gaming machine with Xeon's. This is my software development PC, which seems to work pretty well with every other game I've thrown at it. PUBG, Divinity 2 even X-Rebirth which is known to have performance issues.

15. Herby

Herby Avatar

I've got 12GB RAM in this machine and base CPU speed is 2.8ghz - so I may have quoted the wrong Xeon CPU.

Currently running in windowed mode : 1768 x 992.

I'm currently in Blood River Outskirts and I'd say I've averaging 14fps, maybe less.

- - -

4/14/2018 4:23 PM
    Title:
    Reproduction Rate:
    Blocker?
    Details:
    Steps to Reproduce:
    User Specs:
    CPU: Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU X5650 @ 2.67GHz (24) System RAM: 12277
    GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 3GB GPU RAM: 2988
    SotA.Win.64.760.Date.04.04.18
    Area: Novia_R7_Forest02_01
    Area Display Name: Blood River Outskirts
    Loc: (313.2, 69.4, 140.0)
    Debug: Tm92aWFfUjdfRm9yZXN0MDJfMDF8fCgzMTMuMjQ2LCA2OS40MDEsIDEzOS45NjQpfCgwLCAtMC45NzYsIDAsIC0wLjIxOCl8MjEwLjg1MDd8NC42MzA4MTF8NS45NzA2ODg=

16. Elnoth

Elnoth Avatar

@Herby

I have the same CPU, albeit overclocked.

The main problem is how poorly the unity engine handles multithreading, so having alot of cores gives no significant advantage. I run the game on the best graphical settings with a GTX 980Ti, because even if I use fastest settings I am generally CPU limited, despite my CPU cores not being anywhere near maxed out on their load.

3devious and Elwyn like this.
  17. Daemonis

Daemonis Avatar

I run the game with no issues on the highest settings with Ryzen 1600/16gb and gtx 1060. I honestly have no idea why some have issues and others have none. Maybe check what you have running while playing?

18. CrandalltheFoole

CrandalltheFoole Avatar

Xeon workstations:
    I bought mine well used - Dell T5500
    The only thing I have done is max out the RAM and replace the original GPU
    Runs great.
    I have multiple accounts, and have run 4 clients at the same time, with two monitors.
    Not too shabby for ten year old tech, I think.

Xeon CPU - 6 core - X5660 @ 2.80GHz
    48GB RAM Registered ECC DDR3
    NVIDIA GTX 970 4GB

Elwyn likes this.
  19. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

I use an i7 and 960 geforce. I dont have alot of issues.

I do lock up on loading occassionally

20. Herby

Herby Avatar

V
    Interesting, I wonder if its the Dual CPU's that causing the issue the, I'll see what happens if I set the game to use one of them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.