not a big fan of new release notes

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by simon1974, Mar 12, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. simon1974

simon1974 Bug Hunter

Hi,

Last 2 release we had a different way of presenting notes for the release.

I feel now that the release notes are incomplete. i loved when the notes were presented in a more refined way.

I know that it is time consumming, but i think it was worth it.

Now it looks more like '' i dont want to do this anymore, so ill just throw in the basics with no organization.''

I hope R100 will be more pleasant to read.

Diablotine

FBohler likes this.
  2. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

I think it is because Elgarion is no longer in charge of putting them together.

FBohler, Time Lord, Barugon and 2 others like this.
  3. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

I don't mind the presentation but am irritated at how much was actually missing.
    For example, 1 new recipe was mentioned but we've found two more that weren't even mentioned. We've seen changes to various scenes that weren't mentioned, either.

If you've added new stuff, tell us about it! It makes it really hard for folks coming back after breaks to figure out what/where/when they missed something also.

I know it can be time consuming, but most players will not sit and watch through hours and hours of "streams" (where the actual stream is just 45 straight minutes of staring at the back of Atos' head :x) to try and glean pieces of information. This information needs to be communicated in a more formal, findable way and the release notes are the best vehicle to update players about actual implemented changes.

4. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

I actually liked the whole discovery of finding out new recipes were added.

5. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

I don't object to the old way of hinting at something but not telling you anything specific - such as saying for example "Travellers report that strange new odors are coming from elven cookfires. Perhaps they've learned how to make a tasty meal out of all these new cats that have been showing up." That tells me there's probably a new cooking recipe and gives me a steer on what I might need to kill to find it, but doesn't tell me the specific scene or what the recipe is exactly. That's fine, and I agree, kinda fun.

What I don't like is having no mention whatsoever, because then you get something and you're like, huh? When was this added? Is it new or did I just miss it? Or worse, coming back to the game having missed loads of things, having no way to figure out what or from where, can be really daunting - I know, having just gone through this, that it took months to figure out what I'd missed and I think I'm still missing a few.

I will say that, in general, I strongly object to all the new crafting recipes being non teachable mob drops - its an illogical, infuriating way to introduce "crafting" content. But if that's what you're going to do, at least let us know something's there to go find!

As an added note - if its just a matter of not having time/inclination to take the changelog and turn it into well presented patch notes, I'm happy to volunteer - translating "dev" to customer release notes is actually part of my day job. As long as you don't mind a bit of whimsy...;)

Last edited: Mar 14, 2022
  6. Apas Skitara

Apas Skitara Avatar

It would also be nice if the release notes would also be posted on steam.
    The last patch notes on steam are from dezember. If somebody looks on the steam page it seems like development have been halted.....

FBohler likes this.
  7. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

I think guessing what's new is much more entertaining :)~TL~ <---<<< (almost never reads patch notes)

8. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

And that's totally fine - but a lot of us really really do rely on the patch notes to stay informed.
    If you prefer the mystery, you're free to not read them! :)

Cordelayne, FBohler and Time Lord like this.
  9. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

@Elgarion was probably dong that too.

FBohler likes this.
  10. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

I do feel very free when I don't read them, thanks! :):thumbs up:
    ~TL~

11. Scanphor

Scanphor Avatar

Has Elgarion left the team?

12. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Not exactly. He's off trying to get a pub business started. He'll likely be back but probably in a more limited fashion.

Scanphor and FBohler like this.
  13. Virsago2099

Virsago2099 Avatar

Clear and concise patch notes are a must for any game these days. As @kaeshiva said above, it's fine if you want to do it in a way that leaves a bit of mystery (though I prefer straight up info), but you gotta get all the changes in there. Having a staff member take a leave of absence isn't a good reason to neglect something as important as informing your player base of the changes you've made to the game. It becomes all the more important if bringing in new players is a high priority (and it is). Gamers place a high value on good communication between players and devs.

14. Allium

Allium SotA Developer Moderator SOTA Developer

these are now my job. woo! i'm not sure that the next ones will be back up to the best they've ever been, but they can definitely be improved upon.

- obvious alias

15. Xee

Xee Bug Hunter

I like that they are not give away everything new since the last releases. makes it more exciting to find something you didnt know was in or new. It also makes that knowledge where you got it have more value for the items until all know. I do like the older format but hey patch notes / dev nots in any format is better than none :)

R100 is all secret nobody leaking much info to us so that I am excited for. This also helps more with expectations if they tell us X is coming and it does not make it we get disappointed.... where no not knowing what is coming its now just anticipation :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.