SotA Con East - Nov 4-6, 2016 in Baltimore, MD

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Violation Clauth, Jun 21, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Violation Clauth

Violation Clauth Avatar

[​IMG]
    We’re happy to announce the first annual Shroud of the Avatar Convention in 2016 to take place on November 4-6 2016 in Baltimore, MD. This convention will be one of our making as a community. The schedule, pending announcement based on funding, has a lot of exciting opportunities and our ambitions are grand. What we know for sure at this point: players will be there.

The goal for this Con is to create a Shroud of the Avatar themed gathering, on the east coast so that players and developers can come together, grow together, and share ideas. What we don’t want is people to attend, thinking that there will be big sponsors and expensive swag bags. The goal is to simply come together, make friends, have a great time, and talk about Shroud of the Avatar

We are asking for asking for funding for the event and for everyone to let us know if they are able to attend. The hotel we have offers group rates for rooms and we would love to make sure everyone gets the best deal possible. We need people to stay at the hotel to get the best price for the convention rooms.
    Some of the things we have in the works:
    • At least someone from PaxLair, Port Phoenix, Avatars Radio, NBNN, and many other communities have committed to attendance.
    • At least 3 developers have committed to attendance.
    • Potentially, we will recreate a board game using the map of Novia as the board!
    • Group gaming opportunities
    • Potentially, group meals with garb encouraged!
    • Vendors from the SotA community
    • Potentially, a kid friendly area!
    A 1st year exclusive attendance reward will be given out at the event!

We need volunteers. Both local to the area, to help with logistics and planning, and others to help facilitate a smooth and enjoyable time for everyone. We also need financial backing as well as attendees. I would like to thank the three people who have already committed to helping this project and a special thanks to @Winfield for being a sounding board for the last five or so months that we’ve been planning this. We are excited for this event and can’t wait to see everyone and have a great time. I would also like to thank @DarkStarr for his initial support @Berek for his current and future support in making sure we can have Portalarium in attendance.

The official website for this event: http://east.sotacon.org
    The official crowdfunding for the event (donations even if you can't go, or above and beyond...): http://www.gofundme.com/sotacon2016
    For buying tickets in bulk or putting signage at the event: contact @Violation Clauth or @Winfield
    For all other information please see the website or the FAQ below.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2016
    Cordelayne, Tahru, RDouglas and 29 others like this.
  2. Violation Clauth

Violation Clauth Avatar

Q: Why is the first stretch goal 5k and the goal 15k?
    A: In order to cover minimum costs and have the con we need 5k. I will not be able to get the tables, vendor tables won't have power, no A/V equipment, no second room, etc. The minimum I see to possibly hold this event as a success will be $15k That said, I see the "will we have the event and have fun" at the 5k mark.

Q: How many VIP badges are available?
    A: At the time this was updated (18-Aug-2016 @ 1731 eastern) there are 5 VIP badges available.

Q: Where will this be held?
    A: The entire con is being planned to take place in a single hotel in the Inner Harbor of Baltimore, MD. We will be walking distance to a LOT of food and entertainment. For more details please visit http://east.sotacon.org/hotel-and-travel

Q: How much does it cost to attend?
    A: The goal we are trying right now is to allow people to come at their "what they can afford" donation. The following is how we are keeping things fair financially...
    1. The first 10 people who donate $250 (or more) and request a VIP seat via email will have one. This is a physical badge they will receive that allows them into everything first.
    2. The first 100 people who donate $25 (or more) will be given event badges and assured a seat in the two meeting rooms.
      1. Additionally, donating $60 or more will get you lined up first and a trinket from SotA Con 2016!
    3. Everyone who attends, up to capacity, will be ushered in after the above two criteria are met. We are going to try to keep this con fair and affordable for all. This funding method is to pay homage to the game we themed the con after! If you really want to make it and cannot afford to possibly talk it out on the thread here and someone might help you to attend!
    Q: What is the total capacity of SotA Con 2016?
    A: In it's current budget and location we will cap around 300 attendees. I have designed content and location around having 100-200 attendees. The absolute maximum seats for the meeting room will be 210 and the hotel has said there is room capacity about 10% above that for standing space. I personally would feel comfortable if we cap it at 300 attendees and require funding for additional meeting space (there is an entire convention building not even a block away!!!) if we need more space. For the spirit of what I want this event to be I don't know if I'm willing to take it past the 300 attendee hard cap in its first year.

Q: Can we have adult beverages at the con?
    A: There is a lounge for purchasing adult beverages and you can have them in your room. The lounge opens at 5pm; however, if I request it to open early they said I can have it opened as early as noon if we have people who will patron them. The halls and meeting rooms do NOT allow any open/consumed beverages, unless it was served by a hotel bartender in that hall/meeting room, for legal reasons and this is non-negotiable. Optionally, we can purchase an upgrade to have a host that will serve alcohol but it's fairly pricey and likely not worth it as the meeting rooms will only be one part of the con experience. For the safety of all attendees I suggest all private rooms require a BYOB policy

Q: Where can I go to register to attend?
    A: The official website: http://east.sotacon.org/register

Last edited: Aug 18, 2016
  3. Sir Frank

Sir Frank Master of the Mint

Would love to see this happen.

4. Lord Andernut

Lord Andernut Avatar

When you say SotACon on the east coast (and forgive me if I'm blind and missed it) - where on the East Coast is this?

PS> Feel free to have it in New York or Michigan ;)

5. Sir Frank

Sir Frank Master of the Mint

First line under the picture. Baltimore.

6. Lord Andernut

Lord Andernut Avatar

Thanks, I saw the date and passed right through it :)

It's not ideal for me, but it's only 1/3 the distance Austin has always been, at a time of year when I don't have other committments... so maybe maybe maybe :)

7. Violation Clauth

Violation Clauth Avatar

I'm looking over the most recent contract from the reservation hotel. After the conversation today I am comfortable saying we will use this hotel but I'm hesitant to say it's name until I fundraise enough to reserve it. I would feel horrible if people reserved there and I moved it causing them to move to possibly get a hassle if we have to move to a backup hotel (I have two on standby). My deposit is due July 1st. Once it's paid and secured as what we want I will have details announcing the hotel and how to reserve as part of the con group.

8. pinzasso

pinzasso Avatar

I could do that

9. matpsch

matpsch Developer Emeritus

Woohoo! Count me in! We will need to have a SotA emote-only dance party!

10. Kether

Kether Avatar

Umm... I'm from Europe so normally it'd pose an issue to assist BUT I have to be in the US (San Diego, just the other side of the country, but still...) November 12-16 for work reasons... A week of difference. It would be easier if there were less time in between but I have to talk with my boss and see if there is any way I can make this work, I'd love to attend...

11. Sean Silverfoot

Sean Silverfoot Avatar

I should be able to attend.

12. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

I can't attend, unfortunately, but I've donated and look forward to seeing some awesome community involvement. Let me know what I can do to help, whether its just spread the word or if you need anything put together digitally, and I'll get 'er done..

13. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

Really? What sort of Game?

14. Violation Clauth

Violation Clauth Avatar

I don't know if it's going to be *THAT* kind of party... maybe we need to put a disclaimer on it
    It's a surprise for the future! :) I already have approval from @RichardGarriott for making the game but not selling it... so don't get hopes up on buying them because I'm just going to make them for people to play if it's in the budget. :)

15. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

This is a great location for a vacation too. I'm seriouly considering this. Not just for the con it is a great excuse to visit and see all the cool sites.

16. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

Torniquet wants to know......... "is there a bar?" After traveling from the Kingdom of Chantilly on his valiant steed "Tahoe", he will surely be parched and looking for a mug of the finest Wine or Ale that the Kingdom of Baltimore has to offer and since this is the port City of the band of Pirates only known as.. " The Ravens", Will he be able to find the Ale or Wine he seeks and another quest completed?

I will be there!

17. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

The Inner Harbor normally has a Cutter ship docked for tours, and a Navy Submarine dock there for tours as well. Hard Rock Cafe is right off Inner Harbor as well as the National Aquarium (all of this right there) Also there are some good Haunted Cemeteries (old school type with "Dont Blink" stone angels and stuff. Plus Seafood everywhere!

18. Violation Clauth

Violation Clauth Avatar

The location was extremely intentional. I actually surveyed about 25 people to pick this location. Hat Tip and a Thank You to those people who helped... I think this ended up being a lot better than my initial one I had selected!

19. Aetrion

Aetrion Avatar

Well, I think this should have been held in MinneSotA.

20. Violation Clauth

Violation Clauth Avatar

I see what you did there! :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.