Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

1 Earth Hour = 1 New Britannia Day.

Discussion in 'Release 18 Feedback' started by Poor game design, May 29, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

I think I understand the reasoning behind this:
    • 1 Earth Hour = 1 New Britannia Day.
    But I don't like it for several reasons:
    • Every 30 minutes you're going to change extremes. Imagine trying to take advantage of moon light for example, and having a small window of time to craft, gather, or sneak about. It really limits anything you can do that requires patience.
    • Event planning is impacted by this. If you want to have a gathering where everyone "howl's at the moon" you're now talking about a 10 to 20 minute window of time that everyone is supposed to meet up with you.
    • Calendar time is so fast that it becomes devalued. If you goto sleep for 8 hours, eat breakfast and take a shower (let's call this 12 hours), when you return to Shroud of the Avatar you'll have missed almost 15 days!
    I think it should be more like this...
    • 3 Earth Hours = 1 New Britannia Day.

2. Abydos

Abydos Avatar

We are on the same page.

Like you, i think calendar time is so fast that it becomes devalued.

Nyzul, Gatsu., Gaelis and 2 others like this.
  3. Heradite

Heradite Avatar

I agree completely. The day/night cycle right now zooms by and I think that having 1.5 hours of day will make adventuring more fun and then for the 1.5 hours of night, I can either go offline or go party or whatever.

Nyzul, Drystone, Gatsu. and 3 others like this.
  4. smack

smack Avatar

I agree. I think the ratio should be adjusted as 1 hour still feels too short. But more critically, is it still 45 mins day + 15 mins night? That, to me, is the biggest issue. Unless they are taking into account latitudes for length of day calculations, I think it should be an even split if that wasn't resolved in R18 (haven't played / checked).

Jatvardur, KuBaTRiZeS, Gatsu. and 4 others like this.
  5. Tartness

Tartness Avatar

I too think it should be longer, and smack's referral to latitudes is interesting. I would love to see something like that, depending on the axial tilt it could be interesting!

6. Heradite

Heradite Avatar

I think the split should actually be based on the season. Winters should see longer nights, summers should see longer days.

Nyzul, Chatele, KuBaTRiZeS and 4 others like this.
  7. smack

smack Avatar

I totally went full nerd and actually calculated the daylight hour differences for Novia (using older lat/long values) in this post, assuming Earth-like axial tilt. :oops:

8. Heradite

Heradite Avatar

I really like the idea of part of the map being day while the other part is night but I don't know if that's actually possible. I think they can do it for Hidden Vale (Hidden Vale can be night while Novia is day) because technically a different sky loads up since they are different maps.

I believe it would be possible if they actually made the entire world map round rather than flat. This would also involve putting the Hidden Vale on the same map as Novia-as well as all new continents (but since we don't have access to boats yet, we could get away with it for now). But alas Novia is more like Discworld than Earth.

smack likes this.
  9. Sara Dreygon

Sara Dreygon Avatar

Moon/Sun magic are also going to be a little more difficult to use... If I chose to go with noon magic and I craft during the day and adventure at night, I'm going to spend a lot of time going to and from places every 30 minutes. Ditto for Sun... It would be funny (tragic?) as a moon magic user to come across a sun magic user during the night and think you have the upper hand only to have the sun rise mid-fight :)

Four hours (two for day, two for night) would be my suggestion. That way one earth day would be a nice round 6 SOTA days and you'd still get two full hours of sun to do sun magic stuff or two full hours of night to do moon magic.

Numa and smack like this.
  10. Tartness

Tartness Avatar

It would bring tons of attention if we could run this by and get Neil deGrasse Tyson to build a star map for the game based on a theoretical location of the planet's star as well :p He managed to get James Cameron to correct the silly Titanic sky in a re-release even!

Nyzul, Heradite and smack like this.
  11. Miganarchine

Miganarchine Avatar

I agree its too short but I think the day should be twice as long as night.

Chatele likes this.
  12. Drocis the Devious

Another thing I'd like to piggyback onto this subject is the ability to track the time of day.

Yes, ideally there would be clocks or sun dials, but I wouldn't mind seeing a small bar (under the compass) that tells you how much light is left in the day vs. how much darkness - as well as maybe the rate at which light is leaving or gaining the world.

13. redfish

redfish Avatar

I'm reading this thread and thinking about Moon Magic + Sun Magic combos that are most powerful during twilight hours. (Life + Death combos would be interesting too)

smack, Heradite and AvatarAcid like this.
  14. smack

smack Avatar

I too would like to see the time displayed in the UI. Of course, supported by an in-game device you'd have to possess in your inventory.

15. Jon Redbeard

Jon Redbeard Avatar

Yeah please, what if I want to stalk players under the cover of darkness? Or an entire group of enemies, where the only chance I have to take them down is in the dark?

Because let's be real, the dark in sota is DARK. And that's good. No one should be able to see me 10 yards into the tree line from the road. But only 15 minutes of this joy? PORT PLZ!

Chatele and Gatsu. like this.
  16. Gatsu.

Gatsu. Avatar

attacks at night from npc must be increased on first attack.. for example.. AT NIGHT ... on the trees, a Wolf attacks.. and on first hit .. BAMMM.. 75 HP! 4 wolves? DEADLY! on the first fighting round.
    this can be very nice and realistic... maybe you are killing spiders... and at the sunset.. the player have to reach a street lamp to survive...

this can be very nice... lot of people at night on cities.. and a lot of PVPers outside...

for the PVP and PVE ... first BOW SHOT increased by x2 at night...
    and for the same reason.. FIRE ARROWS and other fire/light spells decreased by /2 (too easy to identify the light of these spells at night)

can be nice to be afraid at night...

WE NEED LONGER TIME FOR NIGHT/DAY

Heradite likes this.
  17. Drocis the Devious

I like the spirit of this idea a lot. But I don't like "increasing DPS" as a solution to anything. I think we can do better. One of the reasons combat is so horrible is because it's just a DPS war. There's no skill involved. If you level up high enough, you can pretty much spam damage and heal spells and beat anything in PVP or PVE.

Heradite likes this.
  18. redfish

redfish Avatar

What happened to this spell btw,

http://sotawiki.net/sota/Destroy_Shadows

Did they decide to remove shadow/night creatures when I was asleep and taking a break from following the game development or something.

19. Drocis the Devious

I don't know.

20. Jon Redbeard

Jon Redbeard Avatar

I agree with this statement, DPS is not the answer. I think the solution lies in the very fact that there is no auto targeting system (that I know of) in SoTa. So if you have a ranged character in the tree line it would make for a very difficult time to find your target before they've done a ton of damage.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.