$2.5 Million Stretch Goal: Are you a fan? Or do you have other ideas?

Discussion in 'Archived Topics' started by Vyrin, Jun 12, 2013.

?

Are you a fan of the $2.5 Million Virtual Reality Stetch Goal?

1. Virtual Reality is the best!

46 vote(s)
    30.3%
  2. I would have preferred something else.

106 vote(s)
    69.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vyrin

Vyrin Avatar

As we tick off toward the $2.5 million goal (Full VR Treatment), I wanted to do a poll because I don't see a lot of obvious interest in this one. There used to be a crowd-funding section, sorry if this is not where this should be posted now.

Full disclosure. I am not a fan. I think it's got a cool factor sure, that will quickly go unused by the vast majority of players. It won't draw in a lot of support. However, my pledging is not based on it, so if it stays, so be it.

If you are not a fan like me, please post what you would hope for a next stretch goal. Perhaps another artist to work on the team to create unique content? There are infinite possibilities...

Koldar, Brenton, LadyM and 1 other person like this.
  2. Jonathon.Doran

Jonathon.Doran Avatar

VR is the next killer-tech. People's reaction reminds me of how 3D accelerators were first greeted. "Nobody will spend that type of money on something to play games..."
    I purchased my first 3D card just to play Everquest.

The Omni and Oculus Rift seem to cool to pass up. And I'm thinking it wont be hard to support them. The Rift should get its info from DirectX (sorry Linux users, but doesn't
    look like any driver support there). The Omni sends keystrokes, and SotA had better have user-mappable keys. For that matter, a simple macro system like EQ (not like WoW)
    would be a plus. So I think there will be some basic level of support, no matter what. But it would be great for the game to take advantage of that equipment if present.

3. RelExpo

RelExpo Avatar

To be completely honest, it's not something I even expected when it was announced. Kinda taken aback by it. There is a "cool" factor as mentioned but obviously you'd have to buy the hardware for it which is ~$150. I'm sure if I used those VR glasses for too long, I'd have an anxiety attack at some point, especially if I had to go underwater for something. I can't stand going underwater in an FPS... I feel like I'm drowning lol

I would much have preferred a mobile gaming addition than VR. I think that'd bring in more people than VR.

spiritnhonor likes this.
  4. The Captain

The Captain Avatar

VR seems useful and great -- for flight simulators. I can see Star Citizen space combat potentially benefiting greatly -- the dark visual field of space will work nicely and I'd expect to be wearing a space helmet anyway. Unless we get jousting or quidditch, I don't see much VR adds to SOTA. Of course, I'll probably buy it anyway.

5. Jonathon.Doran

Jonathon.Doran Avatar

Did you look at the Omni videos running Skyrim?

Cabrens likes this.
  6. RelExpo

RelExpo Avatar

Just watched this video and that looks pretty funny BUT an excellent work out! You'd be as buff as a Nord playing Skyrim like that.

I still doubt I'd pay for a headset. Although now thinking about it, maybe it would help me from getting distracted when the TV is on nearby...

HUGE EXCEL SHEETS in your face!!

Jonathon.Doran likes this.
  7. Jonathon.Doran

Jonathon.Doran Avatar

... just a minute while I hike over to column KK...

NirAntae and RelExpo like this.
  8. stile

stile Avatar

Its something id only use part of the time. Its cool, id enjoy having it , but id rather move it to 3 or 3.5 million and id rather have stuff prior to it. Meaning yes id like to see it, but theres things that have higher priority id like to see first.

For instance something like a councilor program or a couple people on staff filling that sort of role. Benefit to all all the time vs. the rare times id be able to take advantage of covering up my face from my family, dogs, etc.

Grayhawk and Phredicon like this.
  9. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

Maybe they could add VR for optional portions of the game. I'm thinking minigames of some kind. However I would much rather they just take the money and hire more people to work on other stuff, like ideas they found in the forums and didn't think they could get to it.

DavenRock, Vyrinor and RelExpo like this.
  10. LadyM

LadyM Avatar

Virtual Reality is cool and all, but I wouldn't mind them pushing it up to a higher stretch goal. Being able to ride horses should come before VR! (unless I am missing something and it is already in?)

Koldar, jayd and Vyrinor like this.
  11. Vyrin

Vyrin Avatar

The video was quite hard to watch with the head bobbing - I was feeling nauseous. I imagine it's better when you're wearing the helmet, but still.

Also I used to sit in one of those contraptions as a toddler.

Cool and all but not a big value-add to the gameplay in my book.

12. RelExpo

RelExpo Avatar

I seriously chortled at this.

That contraption sure is something though... but yes, it looks like something my toddler is in atm too.

13. Cymek

Cymek Avatar

Prior to Oculus Rift, I would have said "not interested"

With this new hardware on the horizon, I think it will be a cool cutting edge feature for the game to have.

14. jondavis

jondavis Avatar

Are we talking about running around?
    Or just something like this?

Or what?

15. Vagabond Sam

Vagabond Sam Avatar

My vote technically went I would have preferred omething else, however more accurately I simply don;t mind.

At this point the features list is long enough that I'd rather all extra funds go into delivering whats on the table at the highest quality possible. I don;t feel like there are any big elements missing right now.

16. Rufio

Rufio Avatar

forget about ocultis rift,get other things like horseriding ecs. let other big developers first perfect it.
    amazing substence is most important,spend all money on that.

LadyM and Stile like this.
  17. Sir Brenton

Sir Brenton Avatar

You know VR goes back to the 1930's or so... We've heard it all before :)

I don't mean to bash Oculus, it cool and I am glad people are still making strides. But this is still not virtual reality, and its still not a level of immersion that I am interested in personally. Until you have tactile feedback and you are actually simulating moving around and not blindly trying to remember where your keyboard/mouse is when you get disoriented, the tech is just not there. Have you seen these people play? It's not that great. It's cool. But not mind blowing.

And I have to agree with Vyrinor, it's just not something I have any interest in as a stretch goal myself. But, in digression, I got my Tracy H. Book and thats what I really care about.. so throw that money away from this point on, see if I care! :D

Vyrinor likes this.
  18. Phredicon

Phredicon Avatar

I am looking forward to getting an Oculus Rift, but for SC, not SotA. I would perhaps use it on this game, but an RPG does not seem to be the ideal use for VR technology at this point. I say see if there are more desired features to add and focus on those, or better, use the additional funds to expand on the features we've already gained through the Kickstarter.

19. Vyrin

Vyrin Avatar

+1. You speak the truth, Brenton.

And just like you indicated, there have been VR attempts since the 90's if not earlier, and games that use it - I played some back then and am still waiting. It really hasn't caught on and I think you're right that until there is some really big technological leap forward, it's not going to catch on widespread.

20. stile

stile Avatar

No one has mentioned the comparison so thought I would toss it out there as another viewpoint to think about. I think VR would end up like 3d tv. I hae a sharp Aquios 70" LED. It's 3d, because I bought it on a big sale and the 3d version vs. the non-3d version was nominally more. The glasses which where also on sale where more then the cost of the tv. difference.. I watched one 3d movie on it ever and that was just to make sure it was working ok. When the Hobbit comes out on blue ray, EXTENDED cut, in 3d, as a box set for all 3... in about 6 years (It took them 7 years I believe to do the LOTRO on blue-ray directors cut versions) - I might watch those in 3d.. once.

I know many people with 3D. same thing. Including the ones that wanted it specifically unlike myself.

I've read that the 3d tv market has really been considered a failure and the reason for this is that when people are at home participating in entertainment, the majority of the time they cannot block out the rest of the world with 3d glasses. If they could watch it without the glasses they would buy it, but with glasses forget it. They need to be able to look over at the kids when they make noise, keep an eye open on their little brother and sisters and so on. VR on a home computer wouldn't be much different. When talking a game you play for 20-30 hours a week, that is to much time to obscure your vision. If its a VR of a baseball game in your basement you take 2 hours out of your life once a week to go do, then its a different situation. I think there's a good market for it but I do not think MMO is going to be a big one at this time. Going back to the 3d as I understand it, there are some MMO's that offer 3d and hardly anyone uses it even when they could be. I know that it is not apples to apples but it is also not oranges to apples... More like nectarines to orange's. Most people that don't like one don't like the other with some rare exceptions.

It was mentioned a better stretch goal may be mounts. I think that is an excellent suggestion.. I want ride able mounts that are unique to this world :). Sure with the Duel scale map system they wont be used as much but they would still be handy for things such as moving around town and showing off your cool mount. I get excited when I think of that.. When I think of VR, I think.. well, id buy it because I want to try it out and all that and I'm a sucker for new toys.. But I don't get overly excited as I know that it'll be rare id use it. I get excited about things that I think "part of my daily play experience for years".

Vyrinor likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.