$2.5 Million Stretch Goal: Are you a fan? Or do you have other ideas?

Discussion in 'Archived Topics' started by Vyrin, Jun 12, 2013.

?

Are you a fan of the $2.5 Million Virtual Reality Stetch Goal?

1. Virtual Reality is the best!

46 vote(s)
    30.3%
  2. I would have preferred something else.

106 vote(s)
    69.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LoneStranger

LoneStranger Avatar

The biggest problem I see is the user interface, among others. The good part about this is that the Oculus VR people are probably working on the same problems that game developers will have trying to support the Rift. Let them work on the problems and make the implementation easier for Portalarium.

Portalarium needs to be prepared to support it so they can ride any wave that comes if the Oculus Rift really catches on with consumers, but not at the expense of other systems that are more important.

2. High Baron Asguard

High Baron Asguard Avatar

having just used the occulas rift yesterday I personally would rather standard sterioscopic 3D. Definitly not a fan right now (especially when it bugged out and I was looking out the back of my head) for various reasons like the fact it doesn't make allowences for those of us who have to wear glasses

3. sakuraba

sakuraba Avatar

oh please dont give us VR at 2.5mil.... I beg you Lord British!

spend all that moolah on game content, economy, mounts and some uo-like features.

Gunga Din [Pax] and Koldar like this.
  4. svzurich

svzurich Avatar

I am of two minds regarding VR.

One, I tend to suffer severe motion sickness. I can't watch videos in a car (tried it when I was a passenger on a trip to Comic-Con), get seasick, and tend to get naseous with many 3D games. Dramamine helps, oddly enough. Without it I resort to closing my eyes and praying for death, or vomiting.

Two, I love the concept and just backed Sixense's STEM Kickstarter. I want an Occulus Rift. Futureproofing Shroud and Star Citizen is desired.

Dramamine, I may have to invest in your company to continue this hobby. :)

5. Devoid

Devoid Avatar

@svzurich: This Drama-mine you speak of sounds intriguing! Can I join your guild?!
    *Beckons and pleads on my knees*

Père Fouettard likes this.
  6. Pandemonium

Pandemonium Avatar

I really like the idea of VR, and especially so for this game. The Oculus Rift seems strong enough that i'd want to try it before I decide, so I assumed the devs did.

7. Dorham Isycle

Dorham Isycle Avatar

I don't like the idea of moving my hands around grabing stuff, swinging swords etc. That sounds like work, it would get tiring very quickly. Some people need a workout, I don't need it that badly imo.

8. Screwtape

Screwtape Avatar

VR is the future. Honestly if you look at all the other goals they were very heavy on the lore/content side of things. So for the what appears to be the final goal that will be met, I think it is time for us Techno junkies to get a bone :).

If you all go out and look at the RPGs coming out there is some VERY strong competition. Look at Arche Age and Black Desert, both look simply amazing and are sandbox style MMORPGs.

So product differentiation is KEY if we all want SoTA to be as big as possible. Because EVERY RPG has crafting/combat/questing/looting, you know the works, honestly what keeps people playing those isn't the features, because everyone has them, it is more the community and friends they make.

So for a new game like SoTA to pull them away from those games and try this new game, they will need some things that make it different from every other RPG.

The single server sharding system is a big risk, and might not even prove to be possible, but that is one of the things they are doing now.

Personaly I believe VR support WILL bring in more player base, and get people to at least TRY SoTA. After that this awesome community will just suck them in :). I probably will get a VR headset and try it and use it now and then, but more than likely for a day to day play I will use my dual 24inch monitors :).

I think this has more to do with a marketing product differentiation move, a coolness factor, and making sure they are the cutting edge. All of which are vital if we want to see SoTA do well and see them have the resources to produce Episodes 2-5.

PS: on a side note, why do people want mounts in a 2 scale map? The overworld travle speeds things up so no need for travel speed, and once you are zoned in you don't want to travle fast, and I doubt they will have mounted combat?

9. stile

stile Avatar

I don't think people want mounts for the overland map, but for zoomed in.

Faster travel even if its just going from a town entrance to your house, is still faster.

Also the cosmetic aspect. Your choices in mounts help say something about your tastes, you characters RP, and maybe your wealth (i.e. i drive a bergetti!)

In LOTRO, i know people who try to collect every mount in the game.. And because of the lore they are limited to just horses and goats with different cosmetics on them!!! I have around 50 variations and could care less about them (i just pick them up easily).

So its huge in popularity just as a cosmetic if for nothing else.

The other side is to help the UO crowd on nostalgia. I remember having some very awesome and prestigious mounts in UO and it was an enjoyable aspect of the game. A lot of people also just want to have some of that again.

Unlike many though i loved the ethereal steeds and didn't find it immersion breaking. I related them to the wondrous statues in the d&d lore.

10. Duke Lorimus

Duke Lorimus Avatar

VR would or will be great ... I would prefer a little bit down the road though.

Lor

11. AuroraWR

AuroraWR Avatar

Mounts, please. Multiple tamable types of mounts would be awesome, or if they are all horses having regional types of horses. Maybe even breedable for variations. As someone who has enjoyed playing a tamer, I second this.

Sir Stile Teckel likes this.
  12. mechatech

mechatech Avatar

We don't know how much it costs to do "Full VR Treatment" so how can anyone substitute another feature to replace it?

Oculus Rift support is already supported by the Unity Engine, so the cost just involves creating an intuitive user interface. From what I've seen of the game so far, the interface is freaking amazing for the way you interact with tools and arranging house furniture!

It's not like they create a crap interface then when they reach the stretch goal they must spend more money and make it better.
    It appears they have had Rift support in mind from the very beginning by designing an interface that doesn't involve giant full screen menus popping up for moving objects around your house, or for using the crafting tables.

The point is, I don't think anybody is missing out on, say, Mounts, becuase VR was added. VR isn't an app or feature, like programming a new dungeon, it's implimented via the Engine aleady, and enhanced by good design. Somthing that this game seems to already have now.

Edit-
    Just wanted to add, nor do I know what is implied by, Full VR Treatment. It's possible that they could add full body tracking/weapon tracking. Additional functionality when using VR, which would cost a lot and take additional development time and money, which not everyone would take advatage of.
    --------------------

licemeat likes this.
  13. licemeat

licemeat Avatar

Mechatech is right....Unity already supports Oculus Rift...so the only thing they are "wasting resources" on is the user interace. There are tons of publishers figuring out the best way to handle the user interface with Oculus with their games right now on their development kit. By the time this company is ready to work on this stretch goal of VR there will be hundreds of ideas to copy and implement from other games, further lessening the needed resources. I think VR just sounds complicated to add to this game but the pieces are already there....they just have to make the puzzle. On a side note, I have an Oculus and have been through some homemade SotA dungeons already. It is amazing. I cannot wait until I can play the full game with the Oculus. Hopefully the HD version will be out by then so I can really enjoy it. Someone mentioned earlier than the VR is the same as it was in 1992. That is the same as saying black and white tvs from the 50s are the same as a HDTVs from today. There is that much difference.

Subotai and Espada like this.
  14. DeftAvatar

DeftAvatar Avatar

Full text entry NPC conversations in a VR environment? I think not. Same with chat. Unless they can implement a voice to text system: costly and complicated. Don't see that happening for episode 1. Like to be proven wrong. We've touched on this topic in the Dev+ forums but no comments from the developers.

There are some interesting demos for the Oculus Rift (I have a devkit myself). Earlier I would have agreed it's the future of gaming, however, now I'm not so sure. Once you get over the initial awsomeness of immersion you realise there are big caveats to having an object strapped to your head, one that blinds you to your real-world environment and your input devices. Just my opinion of course. Will reserve further judgement until the consumer version is available.

15. LoneStranger

LoneStranger Avatar

What, you can't touch type? ;)

licemeat likes this.
  16. DeftAvatar

DeftAvatar Avatar

Hehe, only sometimes, when I'm completely sober. ;)

17. Duke Ironman

Duke Ironman Avatar

I agree with DeftAvatar that even with the stretchgoal it is not likely we will get VR support in Episode 1. I do hope that they can have some limited applications. Maybe have it where you can walk around your home in VR

18. Vyrin

Vyrin Avatar

I should start another poll because I know many people will try the OR, but I wonder how many people would use it alone to play SoTA.

19. Cabrens

Cabrens Avatar

Here we are : 2.5 millies...Any official announcements?

20. LoneStranger

LoneStranger Avatar

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.