$2.5 Million Stretch Goal: Are you a fan? Or do you have other ideas?

Discussion in 'Archived Topics' started by Vyrin, Jun 12, 2013.

?

Are you a fan of the $2.5 Million Virtual Reality Stetch Goal?

1. Virtual Reality is the best!

46 vote(s)
    30.3%
  2. I would have preferred something else.

106 vote(s)
    69.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wagram

Wagram Avatar

I more interested in great game content. I played UO for years the Look of the game was not that important.

LOTRO online is a stunning looking game world BUT with nothing to do but grind out 10 new lvls with every new Update.

So lets go for Substance over Style

2. Miganarchine

Miganarchine Avatar

i would need to have a go on one first, it looks exciting, and john carmack and Gabe were well impressed enough to invest in it, 3rd person it evidently works but its meant for FPS, depends how good a game looks up close, if it makes you sick, and i believe wearing glasses in it is a problem!, i would say spend it on another artist but implement it when the games released and when occulus comes out!
    I cannot really cast a vote on something i have never tried, If it was between a new Ultima title now or in a year Ultima and Occulus Rift, i would say gimmie Ultima now!

3. LoneStranger

LoneStranger Avatar

If I may, your last line is quite ****-ish.

I think you also understate the requirement to good VR implementation. Unity already supports Oculus, so turning it on isn't such a big deal. However, you still need to have a UI that works in a VR situation. In SotA, we will have to type to NPCs, so the user will have to be able to touch type. Not a given that everyone will have that skill. There is also the detail that VR needs a first-person view. That means that a first person interface has to be created, which is a second interface beyond the third-person, and something else to be tested and tweaked. Portalarium has said hey would like to do VR but it is not a priority and it would have to be done right, not slapped on.

But hey, when VR is implemented, I'll be happy to sneak up behind you and stick a knife in your back, since with a realistic VR experience you can't see behind you.

4. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

This also brings up the issue that having two clients (standard, and VR) will give an advantage to one or the other. If we play only PvE then it won't matter which client we use, but if we PvP and the standard client is quicker to control and has a better field of vision, then who in their right mind would want to use the VR client. Worse case would be that the VR environment is actually better in PvP. That would force a lot of people to go into PvP mode. Problem is I don't know if Occulus is supported on linux is it? That would eliminate an entire OS platform if that is the case. Maybe the Macs as well.

SO i think it's better we leave the VR treatment out of the game.

5. Lord Kiron Maedun

Lord Kiron Maedun Avatar

Additional stretch goals have been put on hold if I am not mistaken...

6. LoneStranger

LoneStranger Avatar

This was the elitist, ****-ish statement I was referring to.

Just because you have the hardware doesn't mean they should spend the time just so you can justify your purchase.

Joviex likes this.
  7. smack

smack Avatar

Nothing is ever so simple as "just" supporting VR. You can use Oculus Rift with games that don't officially support it now, so by all means, go for it. Those third party drivers can add support for SotA as-is. As for me, I don't want them to "just" support VR. I want them to design with it in mind, otherwise don't bother. I don't want a half-assed VR experience simply to satisfy that it "just" supports it. If that was my only goal, I'll use a third-party driver, thank you very much, and let the devs concentrate on something else.

8. Beaumaris

Beaumaris Avatar

I wouldnt have thought of VR for this game, though I guess it could be cool.

Is there a list of stretch goals at this point?

9. Koldar

Koldar Avatar

@Beaumaris
    Currently, there are no stretch goals beyond the $2 million mark. VR is currently off the table as it was at the $2.5 million mark.

10. JAMorton

JAMorton Avatar

I can think of a lot of stuff I would like to see in the game prior to VR, however I think that there are stuff we would like to see in the game that would take longer to implement that VR as really all they are doing with VR is giving the game the commands to follow what essentially works like a mouse and keyboard walk forward on a treadmill same as push w on your keyboard, move your head with goggles on same as move mouse to look around etc etc, so its no big deal if its in or out really.

11. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

I agree that we are not getting any additional stretch goals in the game as we did not reach then during the kickstarter.

I am very satisfied with the ones we did get and maybe after episode 5 ships we will get the additional ones.

I am not in favor of adding in more now which may delay the game. No Scope Creep!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vyrinor likes this.
  12. smack

smack Avatar

Yep, I think people can continue submitting ideas for them, so you never know when they'll have time for it again or can be a repository for ideas post-launch.

But in light of how busy they are and how much they're working to even get the core game done, any extra funding they get now should be to help with existing work, hire more people and increase quality where they can.

I mean, they made nearly $200k in the month of November alone. That's definitely enough for more hired help or to outsource a finite amount of work.

13. coder1024

coder1024 Avatar

They're not doing mod tools or VR for release for the reasons they've explained. Having said that... new ideas are great, but should only be considered after mod tools and VR are done in the future. i.e. I think those stretch goals met after the KS that they're not doing for release need to come before any other potential things on the list.

14. coder1024

coder1024 Avatar

15. smack

smack Avatar

Yeah, the future seems bright for Oculus Rift. I hope with that extra funding they will be able to increase the specs even more for that real Consumer release of it. Even beyond the second-gen "HD" dev kit they're currently using, which they said was closer to final specs.

16. Javin

Javin Avatar

So to resurrect an ancient thread, now that Oculus Rift was bought by Facebook, is there still any intention to waste effort on this? I'm pretty sure Zuckerberg will destroy the Rift.

17. enderandrew

enderandrew Legend of the Hearth

I'm less interested in OR, but I remain interested in immersive 3D gaming through VR or other means.

Valve is supposedly working on a VR prototype that people say is a full generation ahead of the latest OR.

18. Javin

Javin Avatar

MUST HAS! Totally didn't know that! Looking it up now!

19. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

I wonder how VR would work with a paper mao as overland view...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.