2 hours trial and I'm in.

Discussion in 'New Player Experience Feedback' started by Kvalme, Apr 10, 2017.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kvalme

Kvalme Avatar

Waited about 2 years for trial and missed all previous trials, lol :) Text below is my attempt to describe how I fell my self first time entering the game.

On April 6 waited for trial to starts, and got small session. Started on the path of Truth. Hm, bugged, all around bugged. But that's so cool.
    New player experience, help system for new players... I think game doesn't have it.
    They said press "G" to cycle targets.. Well "G" seems don't do anything for me, but no one write that "Tab" will select target...
    Blood river - nice place, except a lot of issues in quests and missing boat to soltown (i think it shouldn't be there)
    Got catched by the Thugs, a lot of them... Seems not really froendly to new player, but it's like in UO, you will die and will die often.
    Ardoris and no map, I got lost in all this houses and failed to found something...
    No maps looks really strange, at least map can be generated once I explore city.
    No outdor map ("Map is not supported on Linux yet")
    Runs really slow and twice rebooted my system on "fantastic" settings.. Switched to fast :(
    But I really like this game.

April 7, bought on Steam.
    Started on path of Love. I wanna be mage, but can't find trainer. Restart. Path of truth. Hm trainer in nearest city can't train utility hotbar, free attack, deck building. Got stuck with siege. Found workaround in half an hour.

April 8 - 9.
    I'm stupid!
    Restart. Found trainer in Soltown. All looks good.
    Lol bears runs trough the walls!
    Why crafting cost so much! I hardly can rise crafting skills from moneys I got from hunting.
    Hm where is Jeanne? Forgot to ask travelers names. Oh! So much quests in start city...

So my experience with SotA goes like written above. A lot of google included. Seems that starting location not fully done. I really wanted to see all crafters and more recipes. Got animal heads, carcasses but don't have recipes for them.
    Really feel my self like when i was first time in UO in 2000's, don't know what to do, don't know how to survive and where to get money but game still interesting.

2. Luca Xante

Luca Xante Avatar

3. Fionwyn Wyldemane

Fionwyn Wyldemane Avatar

Welcome @Kvalme. Thank you for putting a smile on my face as I head to bed. :)

Look for people with the "Hospitallier" title - they are the helpers in the game, but here is a start:

Recipes are sold from various merchants. A blacksmith will sell that type of recipe for example. Oh yes, there are bugs. For some that's a turn off, but for someone like me, I love bug hunting and reporting them to the Devs :)

Yes, why does crafting cost so much? A question asked many times and answered as well. I forget all the particulars, but basically it's supposed to be hard. Dedicated crafters are sought after in game.

Time for me to dream some dreams. Good night :)

4. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

i've found the best way to improve linux performance is simply to turn shadows off.

the most basic recipes don't have to be purchased, they can be discovered. if you've equipped a butchery knife, try just putting a carcass on the table.

there is a large starting area near solace bridge being added next release, later this month.

the in-game maps that aren't working for linux yet are actually the maps at www.sotamap.com

5. Kabalyero Kidd

Kabalyero Kidd Avatar

Welcome to Shroud of the Avatar... :D

6. Kvalme

Kvalme Avatar

Yeah, I found it, but there are no information about it in game, and not all basic recipes can be discovered.
    I can discover deer carcass and rabbit carcass, but I can't do anything to bear carcass and wolf carcass.
    Is there butcher in Saltown?
    Also there are really small amount of recipes here, I only found BS and tailoring. And on BS i can only do dagger, no sword recipes.
    Maybe it's intended i don't know, but for now i just don't know what to do with a lot of loot I have)
    Seems i need to go to Ardoris and buy recipes here.

And thank you all for welcoming)

7. Kabalyero Kidd

Kabalyero Kidd Avatar

if you find someone with the Hospitaller tag on their heads... just ask him/her for recipes... I'm sure he/she will be happy to teach you for free... it will save you a lot of game gold... :D

8. Timmy Vortex

Timmy Vortex Avatar

Welcome to the game :)

9. Kabalyero Kidd

Kabalyero Kidd Avatar

oh... you can also ask those Hospitallers for emotes... I learned most of my emotes from a Guild Mate... :D

10. Wintermute of CoF

Wintermute of CoF Avatar

For some recipes you need to have advanced your skill to a certain level before you can learn them, my advice would be to put the carcasses in the bank (they're heavy) and try again when your butchery skill is at a higher level.

If you need money, sell it. If you want to get into crafting then salvage the weapons and put anything you can't use yet into the bank.

There are a few things which have no in-game use: Aortic Thrombus (from animals); Black Cutworm (from cotton plants); Emerald Ash and Hemlock Borers (from trees). Some people are hoarding these for future use but I would recommend as a new player you sell them to NPC vendors so you don't need to depend on the weapons you loot for income (and so can salvage those to raise crafting skills).

If you come across Suet or Beetle Carapace they are far more valuable to other players than they are to NPCs, sell them on a Public Vendor (there's one in Ardoris) or hold on to them for future crafting use.

And if you see me in game feel free to ask for recipes :)

I found getting 32GB of RAM and a new CPU and graphics card really helped ;)

11. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

Welcome to New Britannia Outlander!

12. Kvalme

Kvalme Avatar

Oh. this can be an issue. Will try to stack em and use later. Thanks!

13. rpgmaniac82

rpgmaniac82 Avatar

Welcome to new brittania @Kvalme !!:D

14. Vyrin

Vyrin Avatar

Welcome - your comments add to the reasons why they are redeveloping the new user experience. Thanks for taking the time to write it up!

15. Kara Brae

Kara Brae Avatar

Welcome, @Kvalme !

The quickest way to improve certain crafting skills is to salvage loot instead of selling it. Examples: Rusty swords and daggers can be salvaged at a blacksmithing station. Rusty hammers and wooden weapons like bows, wands and staffs can be salvaged at a carpentry station. worthless old cloth armor (e.g. boots and caps) can be salvaged at a tailoring station. The metal, wood and fabric scraps can be used in the production of ingots (smelting station), timber (milling station) and thread (textile station), reducing the amount of raw metal, wood and cotton you need.

Most basic recipes are teachable, so you can ask more experienced players to teach them to you. More advanced or exotic recipes must be purchased for 250 g from a vendor. If you see me in-game I'll be glad to teach you any recipes I have and answer any questions you have.

16. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

Welcome! If you have any questions in game, feel free to message "starman" and I can help you out, even fire up a live video stream on twitch to show you stuff. You can also see many of my videos which may help, just a normal player doing normal things in game.

https://www.twitch.tv/2112starman

17. Kvalme

Kvalme Avatar

Thank you all! Never seen such a friendly community!
    Just contacted Luca Xante and got recipes, thanks!

18. Berek

Berek Portalarian Emeritus Dev Emeritus

Greetings and salutations, welcome @Kvalme to Shroud of the Avatar! Sounds like you are having a good time digging into the game, even with some of the rough edges you've encountered so far. Much appreciated for that feedback!

19. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

Welcome!

Hope you enjoy you stay from all of the Druids and Bards of Dara Brae.

20. Stahlknecht

Stahlknecht Avatar

Welcome friend !

Fionwyn Wyldemane and Time Lord like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.