230 Dots "POTs"

Discussion in 'Player Owned Towns' started by Razimus, Sep 21, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Razimus

Razimus Avatar

[​IMG]
    Was just curious what it would look like. By no means is it accurate, I just randomly filled up the space with 230 random dots. I saw the POT page the second it popped up with the low low prices. I really wish I bought a Hamlet when I could, but I couldn't. I mean, I'd have to have bought it w/ credit and paid off that credit. But the ability to name something on the map alone is really cool.

Sillouette of Jakub White's new SotA map; http://www.sotamap.com/

Does anyone know how many NPC towns there are?

2. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

Mata, Kit Kimberlin, Epona and 3 others like this.
  3. NRaas

NRaas Avatar

Spoon's link refers to only the number of Story Towns (for those of you without Founder+ access).

As for how many "Player Run Towns" (aka Suburbs) + legitimate Story towns ?

I would expect that would be however many are required to ensure that there is a lot available for every pledge/add-on deed owner.

(It is going to quite interesting to see how the dev-team intends to provide the 100+ Keep Lots necessary to satisfy the Duke requirements, much less the 1000+ row lots, without it looking dumb.)​

Add that to the 230 POT towns with overworld access you mentioned, and Novia is going to be quite populated, I agree. :)

Last edited: Sep 21, 2015
    Dinsoo [MGT], mbomber and Vermine like this.
  4. smack

smack Avatar

Lum recently said that list looks right. But yeah, they'll need to create more PRTs if the current list of NPC towns isn't sufficient based on however many deeds exist in total (pledges + add-on store). Since the number of player lots in each village, town or city can vary between 30-200 (upper bound being like Ardoris row lots), they're going to need a lot of PRTs as their NPC towns are story-based and thus can't crank them out on-demand.

mbomber likes this.
  5. Womby

Womby Avatar

I see a lot of empty space in Verdantis, Drachvald, Grunvald, Midmaer, North Paladis, South Paladis, Quel and the Perennial Coast:

[​IMG]

Mata, Epona, Spoon and 1 other person like this.
  6. smack

smack Avatar

Yeah, I was actually quite surprised there weren't a cluster of POTs near Hilt or Graf Mines, considering what they've revealed about those locations. I suspect a lot more requests for relocating POTs once more is revealed of other points of interest.

Epona likes this.
  7. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

Why do you say they have to "make" PRTs. The are and will create enough NPC land to handle EVERY house pledged as they have stated numerous times, over and OVER. they HAVE to so how / why does all this speculation arise about POTs, it is all just nonsense. If the DEVs do NOT place enough land to handle EVERY pledged house they are not keeping their promise, and they cannot do that.

I really wish players would stop saying nonsense, and just let the POTs their owners and the DEVs get on with creating the space for them and on with development.

Manerd likes this.
  8. smack

smack Avatar

Are you confusing PRTs with POTs? They aren't the same thing.

Alexander and licemeat like this.
  9. Kara Brae

Kara Brae Avatar

It does indeed look like there will be more POT real estate than wilderness :)

I took a long trek from Ardoris to Norgard yesterday and was pleasantly surprised at how unassuming and unobtrusive the POTs were. Town names weren't displayed unless I purposely moused-over the tiny buildings, so it was quite possible to run past without even noticing them. I was using a map of Novia and actively looking for the POTs as waypoints to make sure I was going the right way. I realize that there will be many more POTs than there are now in Episode 1 and love the idea of a dynamic representation of POTs on the overworld map (based on population) that the Devs have discussed.

10. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

OK what is the difference if you are calling an NPC town that a guild just seems to have taken over a PRT - that is a NPC town. The guild has no real control. A POT is the ONLY town a player or players have any real control over. If I am correct you are the one using semantics to confuse an issue.

There are NPC towns and POTs

11. smack

smack Avatar

Calling them PRTs was only to differentiate between a story-based town that have NPCs, quests, town services, etc. PRTs have none of that, initially anyway. It only has player lots and nothing else. The design was that over time, as communities self-organize in PRTs, they would "grow" and receive NPC services such as banks. Otherwise, PRTs have are bare bones and only exist to create enough claimable land. NPC towns, in this perspective, are part of the game's story arc and thus have their own lore (canon), story-based NPCs and yes, some player housing in varying amounts depending on the size of the NPC town.

12. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

like I said semantics, so yeah in a way you are right they might have to create more or larger towns. (PRTs as you call them)

13. smack

smack Avatar

Not as I call them, as that term (Player Run Town, PRT) was coined by the devs.

14. Solstar

Solstar Avatar

Yeah, the acronym PRT has been around for a while. Longer than PoT, I believe.

Kvow, smack, Dinsoo [MGT] and 3 others like this.
  15. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

I'm totally fine with people questioning and suggesting new way to do things. Isn't this a crowdfunded game as so many like to say? I do wonder how they will handle the housing situation if the game becomes super popular.

I'm curious why having more towns/cities then wilderness is seen as a good thing?

So PRT's at this point won't have anything other then empty lots? I would hope that they can add some stores and stuff like that to at least make them somewhat as attractive as a main town.

Epona likes this.
  16. Kara Brae

Kara Brae Avatar

If you are referring to my smiley, it is a misunderstanding. I don't really think that would be good, and I don't think that is the case, but it looked like it on the map with the pink spots. I apologize for being unclear :)

Epona likes this.
  17. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

Sorry...the first post here I saw that map...and I was like WTH?

I'm not even sure how to put into words what I think about that....it's so cluttered....

18. Solstar

Solstar Avatar

Good thing that map isn't accurate, then. Towns are grouped quite a bit, and those dots aren't representative of the actual size of a hex.

Duchess Wyldemane likes this.
  19. Razimus

Razimus Avatar

Well if this is the case it sounds like it won't be too crowded, but, how many POTs are in the game so far?

After 100 dots it seemed the limit had been reached, but yeah I used big dots for illustrative purposes. You know I just grabbed a blank map and went into a paint program and randomly clicked 230 times right?

Duchess Wyldemane likes this.
  20. Razimus

Razimus Avatar

[​IMG]

The map is in reference to the POT page, displaying 230 total overland POTs.

Anyone know if the Underland POTs can be cave or dungeon themed town?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.