230 Dots "POTs"

Discussion in 'Player Owned Towns' started by Razimus, Sep 21, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Guppy

Guppy Avatar

Just call me the Monarch of Midmaer.
    There is plenty of open space around my lovely POT of Badger Hollow.
    Please stop by anytime and choose a lot, which are all open to everyone.

2. redfish

redfish Avatar

I'm talking about the feel of the map in general, and whether as a player it feels like you're walking through expanses of wilderness or are going between suburbs. This was my view even before any of the POTs were added to the game. The Hidden Vale always felt crowded to me even with the PRTs. Unless it's less than it used to be, I would guess its about the same. I'll get some screenshots, but I'll wait until its day in the game, etc.

Anyway, I remember you supported long travel distances, so you should agree with me regardless. ;)

Ravicus Domdred and Dinsoo [MGT] like this.
  3. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

I think the devs have already spent way too much time on the map, redoing the map, and making what is overall going to be a pointless (though slightly better looking) map. I could care less if the map is bigger or smaller. I just want control points to matter and I want a regional economy.

I could play this game if it were all 2D. What matters most to me is functionality.

4. Dinsoo

Dinsoo Avatar

I get what you are saying redfish. I suppose at this point it is a desire to have long stretches without civilization, right? That would be cool.

Ravicus Domdred likes this.
  5. redfish

redfish Avatar

Yep ;) There are a couple of places in the game where that's been true, like around the spectral mountains, but I think it should be what's prevalent throughout the map for the feel.

Plus as I said, there will be more POTs coming, so who knows how things will change. I also personally never thought the "non-map access" POTs was a good solution to crowding. I'd rather all POTs have map access.

6. redfish

redfish Avatar

Okay, the following screenshot (with markup) is to demonstrate how small and crowded the Hidden Vale feels. To be clear, most of these are PRTs, not POTs. There are some areas on the Novia map which are close to this, others that feel empty; though more POTs are coming in future releases. Regardless, though, this isn't an ideal standard IMO, and I think demonstrates issues with putting towns too close together. Also notice where my avatar is standing in the middle, because once you see his place on the map, I think the map looks even smaller.

[​IMG]

EDIT: Oh yea, and Orion's Hold is just past Kingsport, but I didn't capture it in my screenshot. I'd have to move farther to the right a bit.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2015
  7. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

I feel that they still need a lot of functionality on the map..it is so basic right now that it really feels like it is missing something.

Ravicus Domdred and smack like this.
  8. Bubonic

Bubonic Avatar

Well, they said they will be implementing visible monsters, animated windmills, and things of that nature. Should make a big difference.

Ravicus Domdred and smack like this.
  9. Solstar

Solstar Avatar

For an overview of a map, that doesn't look crowded to me. The mark up's make it seem more crowded though.

That feeling of smallness only comes from the distorted sizes of your avatar verses the map, plus the exaggerated zoom out distances.

10. Drocis the Devious

redfish, if you take out all that text, what's it look like?

Not crowded at all.

11. Drocis the Devious

bingo

12. redfish

redfish Avatar

I'm sorry, but being able to see 8-9 towns at once makes the world feel small to me. Where's the wilderness?

13. Drocis the Devious

It's a question of scale, redfish. The world IS small, you do realize you're a giant sized person walking around in it don't you?

Duchess Wyldemane likes this.
  14. redfish

redfish Avatar

Yes, I do. Its also not an inevitable scaling issue, its an artistic choice by the devs. If they wanted to, they could make the map twice as expansive by making everything on it smaller. You would see a town far in the distance, the mountains in the distance, but not 8-9 towns.

Like previous games they've made.
    [​IMG]

15. Drocis the Devious

As long as we're being honest about what we're talking about.

Would the world look better if it were bigger? Yes. I totally agree. But some people are using that as a foil to complain about POTs and it's really a separate issue. POTs don't make the world look small, the small world makes the world look small.

16. redfish

redfish Avatar

@Baron Drocis Fondorlatos,

And, btw, travel distance would be longer. Which is maybe one reason they didn't choose to do it.

17. Solstar

Solstar Avatar

Exactly my point as well. It's too easy to confuse gameplay with map travel. That is a testament to the great work done on the map, but it creates expectations for the map beyond travel (as all the requests for visible things on the map would attest to). It doesn't feel like a map.

18. Bubonic

Bubonic Avatar

It was always and has always been promised that this would be more than a map. (The kickstarter video showed fog of war, a dragon flying overhead, and covered wagons traveling the roads.) While no actual combat or true interaction is planned that I am aware of, there will be visible monsters that you can avoid as well as other animated bits.

The original idea was a meta version of the world, not "just a map".

19. Solstar

Solstar Avatar

The moment the Dev's doubled down on the interactive, 3D, free travel map, they opened up a can of worms that goes way beyond the scope of what an overland travel map is expected to be.

20. Drocis the Devious

I almost want to look back in time and see who all these people were yelling about the overland map. I'll bet it's an interesting collection of people. :)

But instead I'll just look forward to better days.

Duchess Wyldemane likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.