230 Dots "POTs"

Discussion in 'Player Owned Towns' started by Razimus, Sep 21, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. redfish

redfish Avatar

That actually describes how the "road ownership" would work. Its something that guilds could fight over and win or lose. If you've been to some place like Vertas Pass , its just a capture the flag scene.

2. redfish

redfish Avatar

That would be fine. The idea is people are only bound by the toll if they don't want to fight. You'd want to fight.

3. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Well I cannot imagine that the view of player owned towns is coming from a thread. For all the uproar and praise to mention both sides. Pehaps the player owned town entity is all being built way out of proportion for how it will occur once we are playing the game. To even consider not going to every town, every place in the game is a waste of effort and to me silly. Just go to a game that has them and you will see. Every town including NPC towns in the game will have vendors and goods to sell, events, not just player owned towns. :)

There should be no YOU against ME. It's all of our game. Stop making it into something its not. Every town in the game provides something special. Some may appreciate one thing over another, but being closed to areas of the game without even trying is crazy. It's like not trying a game and having biases even though someone did not try the game. Come on, try the game.

I even played Age of Wushu for a little while, and it is open world pvp. Yikes and I am by no means a pvp player, but in doing that I saw some really cool things to give me ideas for later. I loved the acrobatics, the fishing, and several other things about that game.

So consider opening your eyes and not making pots the bad guys, and come back to being a community getting a game made. Maybe even consider just seeing it all in how wonderful it will become. Adventure to all those shops, you never know what you find in them. Check out all that's possible in this game as we go forward. No lore will be attached to player owned towns, but they will all have their own player invented stories, uniqueness and also their own fun things to do or see. Live a little;)

4. Solstar

Solstar Avatar

How are player crafted marker's marks, player books, player created NPC's, player created music, and a player driven economy any different than a player owned town? User generated content is user generated. One would need to be just as angry about seeing a weapon or book created by another player as they are a player owned town so as to not be hypocritical.

This whole game is being created under the premise of players providing content and funding. The slope has already been slipped on. I don't understand the issue people have with a game for the players, by the players, unless of course they weren't aware that was the kind of game this is.

5. Razimus

Razimus Avatar

I didn't mean to misrepresent anything, an illustration is an illustration. All are free to make a new map and put to exact scale, the POTs, which would be pin sized dots I'm sure, very small. I was just honestly curious what it'd look like in a theoretical manner. I'm looking forward to overland POTs and the underworld POTs and I think the magnet POTs are, are inspiring websites to be designed, guilds to be formed, and causing POT owners to become spokesmen for the game. "Come to my town!, Free tax, great location!", I don't see this as bad for the game, in fact I see it good for the game. POTs are the new Plots. I wish we all had enough to buy one and custom design one, but it is what it is. Perhaps POTs are speeding up the progress of the game. I mean, it could take a long time to design and cultivate and boost the popularity of the game through towns, but the incentive is greatly boosted when it's your town.

Duchess Wyldemane likes this.
  6. Solstar

Solstar Avatar

Not sure how you paid for your inclusion into the game, but I'm sure it wasn't with cash, in person.

EDIT: I'm out of this thread until it gets back on track.

Duchess Wyldemane likes this.
  7. smack

smack Avatar

That's exactly the point though from what I've seen on the forums. They'll die by the hands of an NPC 1000x over or pay an NPC their entire life savings many times over, than to be forced to do the same by another player even once.

Razimus likes this.
  8. redfish

redfish Avatar

Well if there is such a thing, I'd hope there's be some controls over the toll. Plus, it would have to be instanced I'd think.

9. smack

smack Avatar

I think the intent of the previous posts is that they are mixing the two and the offline game is going to suffer from it. I think all the user-generated content (UGC) in the online modes is going to be great. But in offline mode, it makes zero sense as there are no other players, there are no POTs. So why are NPCs referencing them?

Alexander likes this.
  10. Solstar

Solstar Avatar

Simplest solution would be to code the player created NPC's for only displaying in online mode, and/or replacing them with default NPC's. Do we have any conformation of offline play that includes player created NPC's?

11. smack

smack Avatar

Yeah, I've been trying to find the thread but I can't seem to! But the devs said the NPC dialog will not be any different between online/offline. Then again, DLMB, only constant is change, etc.

12. Razimus

Razimus Avatar

The game at kickstarter was 50/50 online/single player, and RG reaffirmed that in a recent interview. I can understand the single player exclusive fans don't want to do much with non-NPCs. That's not my style, I played and beat Ultima VII, Part I, Part II, Ultima VIII, UO, Ultima IX, and back to UO, and waiting for another Ultima. But there is a core group of Ultima fans, RPG fans, game fans that are single player fans and were never fans of UO for whatever reason, or MMOs or any online games for whatever reason. It's their choice and their right. My opinion is just my opinion but online games are the evolution of single player games. If the internet was as widespread in the late 80s as it was in the late 90s Ultima VII and every Ultima after that probably would've been online multiplayer. There is definitely a human psychology behind not wanting to be killed by another player. Chris Roberts enjoys PvP but he admitted dying by a player is a lot more embarrassing than dying by an NPC. But that's a discussion for another topic.

13. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

Who's making them the bad guys?

It seems if we say anything at all and question any of the decisions it is Us against them....I think that shouldn't be the case and we should question how things work and ensure that nothing gets put in game that could potentially cause problems in the future. This may not always mean people get what they want and I think some should accept what is best for the game and not what is best for them.

There are some issues that I think need to be addressed.

Ravicus Domdred and Xandra7 like this.
  14. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

Imagine if Ultima 7 had gone that route, we would have lost a great one...I don't think UO even lived up to 7....it did things that 7 didn't but it was weaker in the actual story/world.

Alexander and Razimus like this.
  15. Razimus

Razimus Avatar

I didn't say it would've been a good theoretical alternate universe. Ultima VII is the best game ever made in my opinion. And UO being the foundation of sandbox MMOs had zero quests and. W/out Ultima 7 as is, we def would've lost a great one I agree. I'd like to track down the entire team of U7 and find out what's up, why aren't they on the SOTA team? Maybe some of them are I haven't looked it up. But I think a lot more U7 should be injected into SOTA, and U8, as bad as some claim U8 was, I'd say it had a lot of amazing ideas. We still have jumping to this very day. Elder Scrolls was clearly greatly inspired by U7 and I'm sure many other games as well.

16. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

That wasn't my point Rune. We are a community but we are not the whole of what is there or what is coming. It is easy to get things out of proportion with the situation we are in. And are you mentioning that player owned towns would have affected Ultima 7? Well they didn't and this is not Ultima 7, there are many more layers coming to what we have. I just mention that until we see the layers things many times get out of proportion and fearful for people when it is not necessary. Sometimes we have to just sit with things to see how they play out for a few minutes. Oh well I didn't mean to argue, just pointing out that this subject while it may provide something in the long run is going on and I do hope you will come to Wizards Rest, we don't bite.;) So I am taking my leave now that I have posted thoughts.

17. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

Man I still remember the catacombs in Ultima 8.....I played a lot of the crusader games back then that was based off the same engine.(wish someone would kickstart that)

I really wish there was more U7 in this as well...but, I fear we are the minority.

Razimus likes this.
  18. redfish

redfish Avatar

Jumping, & climbing, & hanging ;)

Razimus likes this.
  19. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

I'm a bit bitter in the fact that some people had a thread that I created about PoT's closed by acting out. I thought we came up with some good ideas to protect the PoT owners and the PLAYERS....which is really at the end of the day what this is about. Not who own's what and who you can or cannot control....I want what is best for the game, I want it to succeed...but if we continue with this divided community I don't know if it will.

I think you may have quoted the wrong quote? I was commenting on Razimus mentioning ultima 7 could have been online(paraphrasing)

20. Razimus

Razimus Avatar

We may be the minority, but compared to UO, we're a large portion of the population of New Britannians. Ultima VII fans in UO were less than 1% if you went from player to player and created a poll. But SOTA fans, seem to lean toward Ultima more than UO fans, so I'd expect the % would be proportionally better.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.