3 Suggested changes to increase player numbers

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Boris Mondragon, Sep 25, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Boris Mondragon

Boris Mondragon Avatar

I have read enough gloom and doom posts and think it is time we get together as a community and let @Lord British, @DarkStarr and @Chris know what may entice new players as well as bringing back the ones that have departed.

Just 3 suggestions from each one who wishes to make this a community project. So here are my 3:

1) Allow us players to create our own mods for weapons, attire, and player appearance. We can submit those mods to Port and if approved and implemented they can reward us in Cotos.

2) Help crafters. Give those crafters that have GM plus salvage 60-75 return of crafting mats on items that did not meet their desired specs. No need for garbage to sit on their vendor collecting dust.

3) Give us an endgame worth the grind. Start with guild wars and continue with 4 or more specially tailored area Castles to be fought for yielding artifacts and special mats if held for specific time periods ( 72 hours to a week). This can help create guild alliances, political drama and yes an endgame to make all that grind worthwhile.

Feel free to critique it/tweak it or add your own 3 suggestions but keep it positive as the intent is to do our best to help the game we love to play flourish. R/Boris/El Pirata.

2. Spungwa

Spungwa Avatar

Not sure this is cost effective, policing this kind of thing and making the mechanism to submit etc is probably more work than them making the stuff themselves. As it it not just does it look good, fit the game, but does it meet performance requirements etc. I also assume you are saying that these would become available to all on the add-on store/COTO store, else this removes a big revenue stream from Port.

I think this is a plaster to fix a missing limb. I like the idea of trying to find a use for useless crafted goods. I agree with you that this is needed. This change however will just crash the crafting mats market, which is about the only market in the game currently. If Port are abandoning a player economy I would be all for this, but if they want continue to have a player economy then I believe some other "sink" for player unwanted crafted goods is needed.

This I like, as you have proposed having mechanics for end game that make guilds more than a chat channel, actually having mechanics in the game that give the guild players shared goals to try to achieve with rewards for doing so. This allows player groups to set goals for themselves that helps give people reasons to continue playing, which can be a challenge for some players in a sandbox.

Regards
    Spung

3. Brewton

Brewton Avatar

All of the ideas people had, were expressed time and time again many other posts throughout the forums. Perhaps it's time to leave it up to Portalarium and discontinue these posts in the future. It's only going to lead to gloom and doom as you already stated. Although a noble idea on your part Boris and I know your heart in the right place, I would leave it up to Portalarium to create posts if they feel they need the community's input as to how to attract new players. The posts following this will only turn into a flame fest once someone disagrees with another person's ideas. Let's not repeat history.

just my 2cents

4. Cordelayne

Cordelayne Bug Hunter

Sad but true...

[​IMG]

5. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

Increase NPC buy prices proportionally to the in game market price of the materials needed to make them. If it's a 50% return that's a lot better than 140 gold, and people will be more likely to sell their not great stuff to NPC's instead of holding onto all of it forever.

Alternately, there are a lot of sieges that need crappy gear outfitting the guards. Turn gear into XP. Destroy the gear, don't put it back in the loot table since it is now being used by an NPC (in theory.)

6. Boris Mondragon

Boris Mondragon Avatar

I will take my chances on what this thread turns into as I believe those that post suggestions are part of the solution and those that flame are not. R/Boris/El Pirata.

7. Cordelayne

Cordelayne Bug Hunter

[​IMG]

8. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

Agreed, and people should follow their own advice.

9. High Baron O`Sullivan

High Baron O`Sullivan Avatar

These are all old ideas. I heard most of them over 4 years ago on these same forums.

10. By Tor

By Tor Avatar

All good ideas but as others have stated: they've been brought up numerous times to no avail. I'm not faulting the OP for bringing them back up though. Maybe this time someone will be listening.

Here are some other oldies but goodies:

1. Daily Quests
    2. Give all GM crafting skills the ability to "masterwork" like blacksmithing. Special random bonuses to carpentry, cooking, tailoring, etc.
    3. More random quests (like the monk and bounty hunter) found in random scenes.

K1000, Paladin Michael, Verit and 5 others like this.
  11. Boris Mondragon

Boris Mondragon Avatar

Great; do you have any new ones to add.

Addison likes this.
  12. DavidDC

DavidDC Programmer Moderator SOTA Developer

I want a raid. Not only a raid that you get in the dungeon and run trought all the monsters to the end boss. Something challenging that require a group, with lever to pull or door to unlock after finishing some monsters waves. Puzzle to solve in group (or groups!), hard boss with AI stages that drop surely some arti but can also have a chance at rare components to craft a unique for each class.

edit: malice was one of the best dungeon i did in the game because there is a story behind it, there is puzzle, you feel like you are doing something valuable, and the boss at the end to save that colossus, thats the kind of raid i want but with a more epic look! i know port can do this!

Last edited: Sep 25, 2018
  13. Addison

Addison Avatar

Brewton and Boris Mondragon like this.
  14. High Baron O`Sullivan

High Baron O`Sullivan Avatar

Yes, I would hire someone to make better quality advertisements.

15. Spungwa

Spungwa Avatar

I actually wouldn't, i would do no new advertising until the new (hopefully MUCH better) quest system is in.

Witcheypoo, K1000, Ataniiq and 3 others like this.
  16. yinki2

yinki2 Avatar

and a 5 well prepaired group raid that requires learning and tactical ? several hours to get deep in the dungeon then wipe on legendary dragon because Devilcult rush in too early shoutting Leroy jenkis!!

Ataniiq likes this.
  17. DavidDC

DavidDC Programmer Moderator SOTA Developer

more like dungeons and dragons online, that thing has the best dungeons and instanced maps ever, with cool narrations, puzzle, end boss, various loot and rare chance to get them. Something similar would be dope

18. Magnus Zarwaddim

Magnus Zarwaddim Avatar

This! Seriously, make some FUN content to get into and people will come.

No one says, "Hey did you play that game that let's you do [insert anything other than dungeons or raids or other content]?" They say, "Hey, do you remember the first dungeon in [insert game or zone in that game]?" Or they say, "Hey, did you get to finish the [insert favorite dungeon/raid/content]? No, well, come on, let's get a group together and go do it!"

gtesser, Boris Mondragon and Gorthyn like this.
  19. Magnus Zarwaddim

Magnus Zarwaddim Avatar

My three suggestions (based on my earlier rant):
    1. More dungeons. A little more involved than just running The Rise. Along the lines of the quest dungeons - which should be opened up and expanded upon as well.
    2. Raids. Take it a step up from Upper Tears and make it challenging.
    3. Make the dungeon tools robust so players can do #1 and #2 at their leisure/expense. :)

20. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Here's my suggestion:
    • Figure out the cause of, and eliminate, the massive hitching.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.