3rd Party Websites and the ability to opt out of them.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Sold and gone, Aug 9, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

Somewhere underground waiting to get you!
    I for one do not wish to be associated with any 3rd party website that I do not give consent to. It has come to my attention that that there websites that will be wanting my town listed on their sight. I do not consent to this and take it as a hostile action. I don't care what they do as long as it does not involve me. Do they want to metadata? Do they want to have a "vendor search"that will take inventories of all the vendors in the game. I do not want my vendors items listed in that search. I think 3rd party item selling/listing/real estate selling, gold selling is wrong for the game, and that is my opinion. I cannot stop that, but I do not wish to be associated with it. If some one in my town wants to list their items there, well I really cant stop them. I do not like it in my town but I will not promote it.

2. Carlin the Druid Archer

Carlin the Druid Archer Avatar

He's referring to my website http://sotaloot.com where I simply want to enable players to list real estate, rare items and really cool stuff they have for sale at their vendors, just to make it easier for people to find cool stuff they want... all totally IN GAME and not involving any kind of real money transactions.

I am using a list of the towns contained in Shroud of the Avatar, much like any other blog / website would use these e.g. SotaWiki etc.

Feedback on SotaLoot.com welcome as it is in Alpha.

ECBoots, Ember and Ice Queen like this.
  3. Carlin the Druid Archer

p.s. The reason I created this was because I'm wanting to be a 'rare items' collector when the game launches so I was hoping the website would be a tool for rares collectors to find rares.

I am going to include a tally of the rare item numbers etc.

Ice Queen likes this.
  4. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

then let it be for rare collectors. It has nothing to do with me or my town. Please do not list my town on your sight. If after launch and I see that you are honest and do not do real dollar trading, or do vendor searches, then I might opt in. But for now I simply do not trust anyone that needs a third party website to do "exchanges"
    The can be done right here.

5. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

also this is listed on your main page "Buy & Sell Shroud of the Avatar Real estate, Rares and Really Cool Items | © 2015 - SotaLoot.com by Carlin Archer" So is this done in game also, and not for cash?

6. Carlin the Druid Archer

Yes it is all in game. No real money. Just a way for people to say 'hey I have this really cool rare item for sale. Get it from my vendor in XYZ town'.

Look if you really really don't want your town there I will take it off. I will have to do tomorrow when back at my pc

What is your town name?

Ice Queen likes this.
  7. TEK

TEK Legend of the Hearth

Wait, do you think you actually own the POT inside of Portlarium's copyrighted game world?

ECBoots, steanne and Ice Queen like this.
  8. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

To be honest, having people list items and areas on websites is all part and parcel of being part of an MMO.

9. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

sounds like something for another thread.

10. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

aye, I do understand that. Shroud is slightly different than most mmo's being that you actually own towns in the game. Not sure about the fine line that tech was trolling on but I just do not wish for my town to be on a third party sight. I am just making my thoughts known. I probably cannot do anything to stop it but if there is any kind of professional courtesy then it should not be a problem.

11. TEK

TEK Legend of the Hearth

Again, you just said "you actually own towns in the game". So my question still stands as a proper question for this thread.

do you think you actually own the POT inside of Portlarium's copyrighted game world? If so, please explain.

Ice Queen likes this.
  12. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

please start a new thread.

13. Blake Blackstone

Blake Blackstone Avatar

Might be referring to my site, Realm Wares.

Rav and I have vastly different opinions on this. I sell for real money but will respect Rav and try to avoid listing things for auction or sell.

Atogrim and Ravicus Domdred like this.
  14. Jatvardur

Jatvardur Avatar

It was related to Carlin's website, was in another thread.

15. TEK

TEK Legend of the Hearth

Right, he may ask nicely and a courtesy may be given to not list stuff at that town but that is not what is being asked here. He believes he has some sorta ownership value where he can "not consent" to the town being listed on 3rd party sites. Correct me if i'm wrong but I don't believe he has any ability to stop that at all.

steanne, Ice Queen and Tarsin like this.
  16. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

@Ravicus Domdred

A thought here, if a resident in your town would want to list themself and their wares on such a site. Would you forbid that or is it up to them?

17. Blake Blackstone

Blake Blackstone Avatar

That's actually a good question and we might need some open discussions on that.

It says "own your own scene" somewhere but I'm not sure that they mean that in a literal sense. Im not speaking for Rav but I do think he means what I am talking about, not just being off all websites. But he may want that type of privacy.

I'm going to respect all that have that wont and try to keep it to a minimal if not at all. Maps and other game info might be hard to avoid but I could see how your design and name, etc. could be considered your intellectual property.

Atogrim and Ravicus Domdred like this.
  18. TEK

TEK Legend of the Hearth

That is where it gets tricky. It seems players are clinging to the whole "own your own town" quite literally. It seems to me that any design, name, etc that you put in the Portalarium's game world would fall under their actual ownership but what do I know? It seriously does need to be straightened out openly as that continued perception may really cause a lot of problems.

19. Mystic

Mystic Avatar

Moved this thread to the proper forum. This could be an interesting discussion as it covers a topic I am pretty passionate about myself and I would like to see a good natured discussion. This is certainly a topic that can get way out of control very fast so please remember to keep cool and be responsible with what is posted.

20. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

Tek, again, start a new thread. This thread topic is about opting out of third party websites not debating TOS. Thanks. Feel free to start a new thread on it.

21. Roper Docholiday

Roper Docholiday Avatar

From what i read,
    and this is just from my perspective...
    rav said he didnt want his town etc on a 3rd party listing.
    rav mentioned while he didnt like it if a person in his town wanted to use it he would not forbid it.
    both 3rd party website sales groups (whatever u want to call it) both respectively said they would keep his town off thier list.

in my honest opinion no problem was ever created here. was asked nicely both parties agreed not to post. a new thread should be put in for tos debate

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.