Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

64 bit launcher crashing Cinnamon Desktop

Discussion in 'Release 30 Bug Forum' started by PhaseBurn, Jun 4, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PhaseBurn

PhaseBurn Avatar

Title: 64 bit launcher crashing Cinnamon Desktop
    Reproduction Rate: 100%, across multiple machines
    Blocker: I wouldn't ship it like this, but YMMV
    Details:

I'm not sure when it started (one forum post says it was happening for them on R28, as well, and I know it happened for me at least on R29, but I didn't report it because, derp), I don't test this often, but, the launcher (only the 64 bit version - the 32 bit version worked just fine) was crashing my entire desktop (Cinnamon) on two different machines.

While the launcher is running, Cinnamon would crash and offer to be relauched, and relaunching it would make it crash again. Once the launcher was killed, relaunching Cinnamon would work just fine. Yes, a clean download via the StandAloneLauncher.tgz did not help, either, until I had deleted ~/.config/unity3d and ~/.config/Portalarium, along with ~/.SotA* (fixed it on both systems). Both the above files/directories, as well as my SotA release folder, had to be nuked, and basically a 100% clean installation had to be performed to get it working again.

The issue did not happen on Gnome 3 on the same machines, either - the launcher worked just fine on Gnome 3 while crashing Cinnamon repeatedly. I didn't test any other desktop environment.

Steps to Reproduce:
    1) Run Cinnamon
    2) Download SotA from tarball and execute x86_64 launcher.
    3) Enjoy the crash, it's better than the stock market!

Machines specs are as follows:
    Arch Linux / Ubuntu Linux (both running Cinnamon)
    RAM: 32 GB / 16 GB
    CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K (4.0 GHz) / Intel Core i7-4790 (3.6 GHz)
    Kernel: 4.5.4 / 4.4.7

Again, please note this is currently resolved for me, but since there was at least one other forum post back on R28, I thought I'd throw this up here to help anybody that might have the same issues. Maybe one of the devs wants to look into it, too.

2. Serafina

Serafina Portalarian Emeritus

This crash has been submitted. Thank you for all the information!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.