65,536 Dyes? You Bet!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Womby, Dec 21, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sophi

Sophi Avatar

again, it's subjective... but i have no objection to keeping 'imaginary colors' like some of the crazy flame and neon blue colors out of it. I do like the option of a bright strong color though! and as for eye sores!!! omg dont get me started! obsidian towers dot the landscape, lets talk about those first!!! ROFL

as for 'theme of SOTA'
    my understanding is that it is NOT a 'medieval recreation' it's another world all together - and a dye color palette ought to reflect the colors of the world they are developed in (for example: have you seen the beautiful flowers in Kiln?)
    jmo

Adam Crow, Womby and Acred like this.
  2. redfish

redfish Avatar

@Sophi,

I think its up to the devs to give us the building blocks they think, in their own judgement, adds to the world they're creating. I don't think that limits player freedom, personally. JMO, also. Though, I'd like to see more colors, too, down the line.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2015
  3. Sophi

Sophi Avatar

I have no objection to adding more colors later after the game goes live! I'm quite certain that getting a good game out as quick as possible is pretty much everyone's top of the wish list!

Womby likes this.
  4. Mugly Wumple

Mugly Wumple Avatar

The number of available colors is much less than the sum of all combinations or RGB. Each dye must be represented in direct sun, shade, night, candlelight, sunrise and sunset. Hence, each dye would need its own palette of colors to deal with all the lighting variations.

5. Sophi

Sophi Avatar

yes :)

Womby likes this.
  6. Vyrin

Vyrin Avatar

Um - we MUST be able to decorate with body parts, yet a color is annoying? Strange world. Many things that could be considered eyesores are already in the game.

Plus, if dying is limited to strips, or patters, or muted by textures, it won't end up being that bad.

Ashlynn [Pax], Acred and Womby like this.
  7. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

What could go wrong?
    [​IMG]

8. Vyrin

Vyrin Avatar

Hmm which one of those articles of clothing will be in game? Don't be silly.

Did anyone look at the colors already available? Some of those could be considered strange... but even the bright pink looks natural because the way it's textured and designed... look at the samples again...

https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/forum/index.php?threads/dye-system-update-part-1-cloth.41901/

i.e. having a wider selection of colors is not going to look as strange as you may think.

Maybe someone who's done this stuff can take a neon green and plug it into the way it will actually appear with the cloth shirt shown. Then people can decide if they want to panic or not.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2015
    Acred and Womby like this.
  9. Aimend

Aimend Avatar

Sure. From a desire to decorate myself however I want this sounds like an interesting idea. But I have two points to make:

1. Why do we keep wanting to add layers of complexity to an already complex and difficult to farm for crafting system? If we are going to add literally thousands of colors to the dye palette then we should just all have a dye bucket we can alter for free.

2. Using numbers to identify colors is not going to help crafters sell dyes. Can you imagine walking up to a vendor looking to buy a dye and having to choose from 456 and 1536? "I just want some dark blue dye darn it!"

Sometimes simplicity is more effective and enjoyable.... Just sayin...

Womby likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.