Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

99 ingots and 80 coal iron ingot recipe

Discussion in 'Release 14 Feedback' started by Bowen Bloodgood, Feb 2, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

All I can really think to say is.. what the hell??

If that isn't a bug I don't know what is. And I thought 8 timbers for a bow was absurd. I blew 250 gold on this recipe and then did it again because I couldn't remember if I bought the first recipe or the 2nd. I want my gold back! And I still can't make a bleedin' iron hilt!

Lord Lonn, Albus, amaasing and 2 others like this.
  2. SmokerKGB

SmokerKGB Avatar

I've done that too... Can't you sell the recipe back @half price, thats what I did...

3. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

yeah but the first one was a complete waste.. I didn't have enough to buy the other one after that. All I want is to make a new sword dang it! :)

4. Dorham Isycle

Dorham Isycle Avatar

i think iron hilts are not available this Release, make a copper one or Meteoric Iron.

5. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

BTW i will make whatever you want if you supply the mats. I think i have created at least one of everything possible now.

Tahru likes this.
  6. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

So I've noticed.

Tahru likes this.
  7. Duke Death-Knell

Duke Death-Knell Avatar

I think they need to borrow from another game I use to play.

When you buy a recipe and scribe it in your recipe book, if you go to the recipe vendor again the recipes you have already bought or you have in your recipe book are all grayed out.

8. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

you probably CAN make an iron hilt, it would just take a very long time. ;)

alternatively, you can make an identical sword if you make an iron balde and use the special alloy to make the hilt. this also creates the same product as doing vice vera but conserves materials.

9. Lord Tachys al`Fahn

Lord Tachys al`Fahn Avatar

Something that I noticed last night after bringing in a load of iron from Solace Bridge, is that the cost of coal has made making nearly anything from iron useless as a means of making gold, as the value of things that are dependent on such consumables as coal and the other gold sink type items involved in crafting does not increase at all, much less in at least a linear fashion with the value of the ingredients.

For instance, I used to process the iron into White or Meteoric Iron to bring in some extra gold above what the raw materials were worth, as it used to cost (in trade and purchase value for the materials involved) perhaps 68-74 gold to create one of the specialty ingots (8 iron ore (24 gp sell value) + 1 nickel (20 gp sell value) + 6 coal (about 4-5 gp per to buy, so 24-30 gp)), and would sell for 140 gp.

Last night, coal was 16 gp per, so that made the above recipe almost worthless as the coal bumped the cost up to 136 gp, producing a whopping 4 gp yield over raw materials.

I know this will open up potential in the future for players to actually turn a profit using their own vendors, but the same issue rears its head when dealing with going further than simply creating the ingots.

Right now, for instance, a short sword of greater crushing (Meteoric Iron hilt + Meteoric Iron short sword blade) needs 5 MI ingots and 3 chunks of coal, for a total cost (using coal price above) of 728 gp. Make that sword and sell it, and you only get 640 gold for it... a loss of 88 gp. If this were close to a true economy, the value of some things would be increased automatically as the cost of the materials needed to make it increase, because what businessman would want to take a loss on something so valuable?

Just some things I noticed... and am sure will be addressed as future releases continue to iterate on the economy model they are just starting to play with.

(Edit: Of course, now that I posted this, the cost for coal has dropped back down to 6 per... but the point remains valid. ;) )

(Another edit: Forgot the chuck of coal when putting the hilt and blade together (which doesn't make sense at all... but then again, a lot of the recipes don't make sense :p ))

10. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

I expect that none of those prices are final and that model is not consistent throughout current crafting. For example: You can still make a leather armor piece and sell it for over 2000g.

11. Lord Tachys al`Fahn

Right, but the amount of leather needed has gone up by a factor of 5, and the wood bindings, which used to come from one board (which was 1/7th the total output of a single wood log), now take almost the sum total of 8 full logs to produce.

So to make one fancy leather chest armor piece, I have to cut down a small grove of trees, and kill about 12 full wolf packs. No wonder we are so bad for the planet :p *laughs*

I mean, really... this amount of wood and animal hides would have sheltered a small tribe of Native American Indians, if converted to teepees! (slight exaggeration... but only because it would have needed more wood!)

KuBaTRiZeS and Beli Mawr like this.
  12. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

While I agree that right now the amount of material for a lot of recipes is absurd to say the least.. most of it is still basically free to obtain. Right now I just don't think it's something to be bothered with and probably won't be until beta.. or at least until the whole of the economy is actually in. Then we can pick the entire thing apart to our hearts content. :)

13. Dasilva

Dasilva Avatar

I have been beta testing for many many years, some people know me as Dasilva in some tests, and others know me as Poisonivy in other tests, over the past 20 years of my testing experience there is one thing i have learned for certain.....

• Never keep silent about something you feel needs to be changed, because if you keep silent the developers will not think it needs changing and you will find yourself stuff with bad things you dont like when the game goes live. the sooner you speak up about things the sooner they will get changed (hopefully)

14. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

What I'm talking about here is attempting to balance an unfinished system without knowing how it's supposed to work. Is not informed feedback better than blind shots in the dark? And this speaking within the context of fine tuning material prices. Nobody here is waiting to suggest the amount of materials for a lot of recipes is absurd or that some changes need to be made.

There's what we can see and know about.. and then there's what is we can't.

15. Lord Tachys al`Fahn

Just thought of something here, and it was because I am just cataloging what materials impart particular properties on the finished product with weapons:

Any short sword with an iron blade is a sword of crushing, which makes it a crafted sword worth 640 (sell value). Make this something that can be made with a total of 5 iron ingots, and you get 640 gold for a total investment of 20 iron ore and (edit: ) 8 coal.

In short, I think it is on purpose for this release ;)

Granted, you can make a copper short sword for the same outlay, and the hilt recipe is normal, but iron is slightly easier to find, so... perhaps my previous statement still holds water :D

4EverLost likes this.
  16. graylake21

graylake21 Avatar

almost at 400; if anyone wants to donate char name in game is ZERO TSG ;; just to reveal what this hilt potentially does, and if it is even technically possible to craft an iron longsword this patch.

17. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

It's not possible. There is no active recipe for longsword blades.

18. graylake21

graylake21 Avatar

is regular short sword with an iron hilt worth it, or did i really just waste about four hours?

19. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Unlikely. Iron doesn't really add anything special to the weapon and if it does it's a minor damage bonus which you can get better results by using meteoric iron.

The effect you get from the metal used doesn't appear specific to the part in most cases. In theory, a copper hilt with a iron blade would yield the same result as an iron hilt with a copper blade.

An iron hilt and iron blade would give you just a normal sword with nothing special about it.

My personal favorite right now is a bronze hilt and bronze blade. Wil give you 20% attack speed.

If it's damage you're after, go with meteoric iron.. or you can mix bronze with meteoric for 10% attack speed and a damage bonus.

20. graylake21

graylake21 Avatar

i rly don't get devs sometimes. it doesn't work, so we'll make it high, so people see it and thirst after it, thinking surely, they will be rewarded for 10 hours of grind. o_o....

ehyehyeyemm, sorry, venting. thanks for the input, but the founders cutlass' added up x2 is 36; even +30% haste short swords, fall short of that. thanks anyway.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.