A Changed Perspective on Release (rmt)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Superbitsandbob, Jan 31, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lishayw

lishayw Avatar

It's coming up now, because people can buy xp on the Market Place where before according to TOS power-leveling for money was expressly prohibited. Now Port is allowing Power-leveling for money so long as you confine the sale of this service to their market place and you c. You can now buy your way to whatever Adv level you can afford to pay to the lowest priced seller. They don't condone the practice, but allow it. Portal uses a similar argument many use on why society should just legalize drugs. People will still do the drugs if they're illegal so why not make it legal and save ourselves the time and resources we'd spend combating the threat and just tax it, brand it, and regulate it. Drugs will still harm the community, but at least there will be less violence and harm due to regulation.

What I'm wondering is why Portal doesn't just set up a trusted trader Power leveling service and charge players for the service and just pay the players who level them with IGG that they can turn around and sell on the market place anyway. Portal makes money for game support and they stick to their guns about not being pay to win, because they're not providing an xp potion since the xp is a service being provided by the player. It costs them nothing to type /generate code001 1,000,000 gold, and they give some gold to the service provider and then the player makes $10 selling the gold he just made on the market place. Power leveled player is happy because it's a trusted service and is not gonna get scammed, Portal makes $10 for literally typing one line of code and the Power level service provider makes 1 Million to do whatever they want with. Literally no different than selling cosmetic items in the SoTA store that they generate with a similar code once the player makes their purchase, that the player then turns around and sells the items in the game for gold. Reminds me a great deal of the mobster movie money laundering schemes except less diabolical. Hey Mickey are you sure this gold's clean? No worries Joey just got it directly from a Dev I just did some work for he's legit. *Opens Coat* Any how know anyone who wants to buy a moon dial?

Last edited: Jan 31, 2018
  2. Andartianna

Andartianna Avatar

This is like saying if they truly love the game then Portalarium suddenly removed all magic from the game this should have passed with barely a ripple. RMT will always be around regardless of if someone likes them or not. What Portalarium did really well is create and open market place for the players to do their own transactions. This openess from the start allowed what was going to happen anyways to have a safer place for buyers to look for good they want. Not all of us are sellers obviously or there would not be a market. I like having an open place to shop. I do not want to have to go hunt in some deep dark place to by my goods. Changing the relationship with RMT that has been the same since the start of the game greatly effects anyone buying or selling. As a buyer I may decide I don't need a third $3600.00 bundle off the store as I don't have time to go out and get the items to decorate it. This issue then reaches through out the entire add-on store. If I don't buy the $3600.00 bundle I won't need to buy all the little decor items on the add-on store to fill the house. So you suddenly look at massive sales losses from the "whale buyers" This game is being funded off of decor and add-on store items. So thinking that a change to RMT would not effect the entire funding of the game is very short sited.

Solazur likes this.
  3. lishayw

lishayw Avatar

Seems to leave the door wide open for scandal. Which makes me wonder if their are Dev's that have used a powerleveling service or if any sell on the market place?

4. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

I'm pretty sure they must've thought long and hard about it, but the games we know who did this have to deal with different regulations from various countries and eventually had to create a kind of bank in order for every transaction to be legal and taxed.

Thats the other side of the medal :/

5. Humbert_Humbert

Humbert_Humbert Avatar

I knew accounts were for sale and items but for some reason it just feels different.

6. lishayw

lishayw Avatar

The cost would be negligible compared to the money they would make and fund the game further.

7. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

Very doubtful... people can say what they want about DS and CS, but they guard their game jealously, and I'm happy they haven't given any indications of flinching in this area... They do monitor their own team, keep traces and records on many things.

Sometimes they make errors and are torn in two with the ideal reparation, but they wouldn't let something like this pass them by I'm certain.

Solazur likes this.
  8. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

Only because it was associated with an undeclared "exploit" in the monkey room. That is why I think they are making a bad decision with this, they WILL have to monitor the game closely, spot any red flags real quick and declare certain methods to be exploits even if they aren't by definition.

9. lishayw

lishayw Avatar

It would benefit you to reread the post. https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/f...-and-shroud-of-the-avatar.109237/#post-937868

So our position is that all RMT activity (gold, items, services) is allowed in Shroud of the Avatar, as long as it follows a few simple rules:
    • It does not use any exploits / botting
      • It is worth noting here that all botting / exploits are bannable offenses anyway regardless if they are used in relation to RMT, so technically this was already covered elsewhere
    • It can only be advertised in the Player Marketplace section of the main website forums. Never in game or in any other section of official community areas (including the game’s Discord channel, social media pages, Steam, and other areas of the main website and forums)
    • Portalarium (and our partners) are not liable for any of the transactions
    • All goods can be delivered immediately (i.e. don’t sell stuff that will be made later like Episode 2 content)
    Power leveling is considered a service now and is no longer against TOS as of now, unlike a few days ago when they had to say it wasn't permitted, but they have now officially changed their stance. I'm assuming to avoid a bad PR fiasco 2 months before release having to ban a bunch of celebrity players and anyone else involved supporting it they just said it's allowed but we don't condone.

10. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

That is also my wish... like it was back in the day with UO, that is why I REFUSED to take part in any of this new endless sack of gold and started to work with programmers to find a solution. I wanted Origin to get most of the money so they would finish the game !!! Well the game was literally bought by RMT.

Create a game, people make more money than you then buy your game 1/100th of its current value with the very money they made thanks to your game by threatening you with lawsuits and figuratively forcing you to move on by using loopholes in the contract with EA.

The main problem is proxies and IP spoofers, how can you make sure that someone is really who they say they are, et cetera.

You can be sure that this feedback will be read and they will make up their mind about it.

11. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

Aww ;{ . So nothing has changed. Oh well, I am drinking alone tonight.

Ahuaeynjgkxs likes this.
  12. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

I'll take a shot to your health :D

Tahru likes this.
  13. Andartianna

Andartianna Avatar

Awesome I missed that entire post. That makes me feel much better. Thanks!

Solazur and Ahuaeynjgkxs like this.
  14. redfish

redfish Avatar

In game drinking or real life drinking?

15. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

As I am still in the middle of moving, real life drinking is all I can do. Cheers!

16. lishayw

lishayw Avatar

Only thing that has changed is now services include power leveling service for fiat currency. Pay the seller and he/she power levels your character. How long before we see the sale of other taboo type services at the dance parties like WoW had going on in Gold Shire? Already seen a few sketchy dance parties where everyone was in their underwear.

17. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

I am an optimist, so I am not being pessimistic when I say this. It is what it is. I don't like it, but I have already complained to hell and back, even talked to Rg face to face about it. We take it or leave. I guess, for me, it has removed any reason to level or earn any material things. Some might say, that game satisfaction should not be based on what others do. I don't agree with that, but I already lost the argument. I am just here because I have friends here. The game is alright, but there is nothing in it that makes me want to keep plays though the night, simply because it is all open for sale.

Mykll likes this.
  18. redfish

redfish Avatar

discipleofweb likes this.
  19. lishayw

lishayw Avatar

Well said.

20. Oeneusc

Oeneusc Avatar

This sounds like a great story. Would you share or is it already posted somewhere?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.