A character is the perfect example of why noone wants to play PvP in SotA...

Discussion in 'PvP Gameplay' started by twofoldsilence, May 3, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. twofoldsilence

twofoldsilence Avatar

Literally, my character is wearing nothing and lost all his items, because someone decided to kill me over, and over, and over again in Owl's Head. I have been playing PvP for awhile now, but I asked for the Oracle's Protection again, because of him being so in consider and killing me over and over again even though I had know way of defending myself, and I just wanted to finish one of my Hidden Vale quests.

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. Korim Rackham

Korim Rackham Avatar

Protection is for the weak.

3. rild

rild Avatar

:( we've all been there and it suuucks! While there are some player organizations (try Violation Guild) that are willing to help, it's really hard to find help when you need it!

I feel like Portalarium is going to have to address griefing again soon. The game systems are designed to limit it, but it will continue to be a problem for those who attempt PVP.

Without level-limiting PVP zones (as in WoW battlegames) this will be difficult. I would like to see something from the Oracle - would there be a way for extended PVP clashes to attract PVE challenges like armed Oracle Watchers or other threats to the aggressors? Is there a way have these only affect griefers? Something based around the difference in levels between combatants? Such systems might be exploited in the opposite direction, so this might just cause more trouble.

I'm sure this has been much discussed among the development team. Maybe @Chris or others have some feedback or can point to previous conversations / opinions?

4. rild

rild Avatar

Also, I know guards are not reactive currently, but I hope they will be soon. Will they stand down on Avatar-on-Avatar crime?

This might seem reasonable, but I still feel there should be a difference between PVP in an open PVP zone -vs- in a "non-pvp" NPC town.

5. MrBlight

MrBlight Avatar

... while i get what your saying..
    in what logic did you respawn over.. and over agian.. loosing items?
    I mean.. one time. Sure it happens. Two times? okay.
    But 3 + ? i mean.. why wouldnt you have just unflagged.. logged out to world map.. or switched modes? I dont understand.

I feel like this is less griefing.. and more bad decisions/ refusal /stubbornness leading to loss.

The dragon killed me the other day. I lost Experiance. So you know what i didnt do? I didnt run in and die another 7 x to it and blame the dragon =P

And im one of the people who thinks the pvp in this game is weak as well.

Last edited: May 3, 2017
    Deathadder, Net, Vox Aquila and 18 others like this.
  6. twofoldsilence

twofoldsilence Avatar

I was killed so I returned to the Resurrection Ankh at the entrance of the town, so I could go to the tavern in Owl's Head to finish my quest, and he kept killing me over and over again, so I could never get further into the town. By the way, I also tried to talk to the fine PC that kept killing me to say what gives. Give me a break already, and he of course ignored me, so what was I supposed to do. Leave town and wait for him to leave before I returned. That's counter productive. Especially, since I was just trying to finish the quest before quitting for the day.

I just don't understand how killing the same PC over and over again that has no way of defending themselves is fun for anyone, but I guess others get off on that sort of thing.

7. Cinder Sear

Cinder Sear Avatar

Switch modes to FPO or SPO to avoid that. Or, unflag at the Oracle in Kingsport. Or, resurrect at one of the other many ankh's in the scene. That what most would do.

8. zeme

zeme Avatar

Good, this is what I like to hear. Say bye bye to your precious items and get back to grinding!

Damian Killingsworth likes this.
  9. Parson Barr

Parson Barr Avatar

All these other suggestions are fine as far as they go but I definitely hear what you're saying. What the other player did is not RP, it's PK. It's not really the spirit of this game. Just my opinion, though.

10. twofoldsilence

twofoldsilence Avatar

That's exactly what I did, but you would think a PC would be considered enough to stop attacking someone that is obviously way weaker then them, but I guess not, so now I'm no longer playing as an open PvP player.

11. MrBlight

MrBlight Avatar

Right.. and im not saying it doesnt make the character a ****... Nor is exactly a challenge for the PVPer.. which is part of the reason the PVP system is bad.

But i mean to act like there wasnt MANY simple solutions to your problem, and that its a failure overall.. its simply not true.

The PVP in SOTA sucks for enough reasons, with enough properly backed arguments.
    The argument that you continously ran to your death, and didnt simply switch modes or unflag... i just think is counter productive to the overall argument of PVP needing to be better.. Because its all based on poor decisions on your part im not understanding.

And yes i get that i sound like a douche, but ive been VERY vocal about the issues in SOTA PVP, with decent arguments. This simply was you choosing to be stubborn and basically ask to be griefed.
    Personally if i killed you in town, and you ran back more then 3x, to die over and over again, at that point i would have killed you out of principle.

Theres always going to be stronger PVPERs.. but in this example, and for future reference.. simply switch modes, or unflag to avoid *repeated and expected death*.

And the only reason im picking this argument apart, is because theres enough uninformed PVE focused players weighing in on what PVP needs already.

In the future, its a VERY simple click to switch modes to Friends only mode, to avoid dieing repeatedly.

Edit to refer response *- Yea usually most PVP'ers are pretty good for not being dicks after the initial kills, but theres still people that will simply grief you or ignore you like you said, its annoying but is definitly avoidable.

12. twofoldsilence

twofoldsilence Avatar

I wasn't attacking him. I was just trying to run past him and he kept shooting me full of arrows, so as I said already I wasn't the aggressor here, and I don't mind PvP, or even being killed several times by the same PC, but 6 times is a bit excessive, and doesn't make me want to play Open PvP, let alone be forced into PvP zones as a solo player that is just trying to finish the main story quests.

13. rild

rild Avatar

Yes there are ways to avoid these actions, but especially for a newer player this knowledge isn't always available when the problem arises.

twofoldsilence I believe the block command will also work for you in this situation. It is not just for chat channels.

Sir_Michael likes this.
  14. twofoldsilence

twofoldsilence Avatar

Block doesn't work. He still was able to kill me even after I blocked him.

Sir_Michael and rild like this.
  15. Lained

Lained Avatar

Unless he was role playing a player killer, the spirit of the game is consensual PVP.

Ignoring that you start off the game with the Oracle's protection and have to specifically opt out, there's a very easy fix to this situation the game can watch for repeated kills/deaths between players and prompt the numerous ways the target can avoid such a player. Even add it to the lore "The oracles notices your recent strife, seek her out for protection once more."

Last edited: May 3, 2017
    Sir_Michael and rild like this.
  16. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

This is exactly why I'm unlikely to ever PvP again.

Last edited: May 4, 2017
  17. rild

rild Avatar

My mistake. I believe it is intended to fully mute that character's presence eventually. Anyone have more info on this?

Sir_Michael likes this.
  18. Chrystoph Reis

Chrystoph Reis Avatar

would be easier after the 3rd death in X minutes to just Auto-enable a popup for Oracle protection: "You are being abused in the worst way ever?? Would you like me to protect you again *snicker* I don't like witnessing such carnage!* :D

19. GreyMouser Skye

GreyMouser Skye Avatar

When friends mode expands again to more than party mode itshould work as you describe. Should....

20. evillego6

evillego6 Avatar

This, if it is the case, would be highly exploitable.

Fister Magee and Popotato like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.