A character is the perfect example of why noone wants to play PvP in SotA...

Discussion in 'PvP Gameplay' started by twofoldsilence, May 3, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zader

Zader Avatar

If you flag PVP, you should be prepared to PVP. You know there is a subset of the population that doesn't care about respect, honor, maturity...and they find ways to justify it. That is also fine for open PVP...the battle between good and evil can be Fun!

The problem I see is that while in town, you should be protected by the town guards, but you aren't.

fonsvitae, Salix, Sir_Michael and 3 others like this.
  2. Gabriel Nightshadow

Gabriel Nightshadow Avatar

I agree with you on the last point, and no I DON'T care to associate with that particular subset of the PvP population, so I guess I will have to avoid PvP COMPLETELY :(

Numa, Beno Ledoux and Paladin Michael like this.
  3. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

Tell you something: That's OK.
    I can understand that. I mean, heck, i am a PvPer with that kind of mindset and even i don't participate.
    We have to creat an PvP enviorment where EVRYBODY is willing and able to participate.

Last edited: May 4, 2017
    MrBlight and Gabriel Nightshadow like this.
  4. Zader

Zader Avatar

That was certainly not my intent or desire. To be more clear, I'd like to PVP with you against those jerks! ...out in the wilderness! ;)

5. Gabriel Nightshadow

I do tend to spend most of my time adventuring solo in the wilderness, which does bring up another point o_O Sometimes you will have to venture into (or at least, pass through rather quickly) an open PvP zone to accomplish an objective (quest based, for example). What do you do if none of your guild mates are around to back you up when facing those unsavory characters waiting in ambush? (Yes, that DID actually happen to me once, but luckily I was able to run out of the zone, again near death...:()

Numa and Paladin Michael like this.
  6. redfish

redfish Avatar

I don't get some of the reactions to the OP.

He basically just said "This thing that happened to me wasn't fun, and experiences like this are why nobody wants to flag PvP." Well... that's true even if he had a way to avoid it by switching modes or unflagging. A lot of you seem to agree there are problems with the PvP system.

But, yea, I agree he shouldn't be calling people out on the forums. Portalarium hasn't established any rules for PvP other than flagging and unflagging, so you can expect anything to happen. The complaints should be about the PvP system and not particular players, unless Port changes their policy.

I wouldn't exactly say that means players shouldn't be **** (edit by Berek), just that you can't stop it from happening. I mean, lets be clear: none of this is really role-playing. There can't be RP in PvP unless there is some kind of structure to it, like some type of justice system or at least some reason not to kill others, and real motives and justifications for fighting. Until then, its just PvP for sport. And there's good sportsmanship and bad sportsmanship.

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  7. Gabriel Nightshadow

I agree. There definitely should be some sort of justice system to go hand in hand with PvP to discourage rampant bad behavior :) Hmm...Need some sheriffs (and deputies) :) (We already have a courthouse with judges in Beran's Reach ;))

Last edited: May 4, 2017
    Sir_Michael likes this.
  8. Asclepius

Asclepius Avatar

Another case - to illustrate that not all PvPers are dicks. While adventuring in Deep Ravenswood I came across another Pvper; we got into a fight. We were fairly evenly matched and it was actually fun - a real adrenaline rush. Not a giant who could crush me in two shots (like usual); it came down to the wire, and he killed me. Then he whispered thanks - good fight - and left my stuff!!!!!

I do NOT expect anyone or everyone to be this gracious; just saying it was a nice surprise. And it does improve the image a bit.

If I get jumped anywhere I am prepared to take my lumps; you never know one day I might win. Until then I'll be buying my gear back;) I would be grateful though if I was only killed once; OK you beat me fair and square, thanks for the fight and I hope I learned something. That I think I can live with.

Numa, Vox Aquila, margaritte and 5 others like this.
  9. Cinder Sear

Cinder Sear Avatar

No story scene forces you into an open-pvp zone. Many seem to not know this.. explore more.

10. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

If this weren't 'a nice surprise'
    If this were the norm rather than the exception
    The ranks of the PvP+ population would grow by one.

I suspect the number would be far far in excess of the one... I can only speak for myself.

11. Kpopgurl

Kpopgurl Avatar

Learn to live in a PVEVP world or leave. :)

12. Gabriel Nightshadow

I was just using that as a possible example (since there are other reasons for venturing into a open pvp zone, obviously) ...and we won't actually know for sure about THAT particular case until July (when the main storyline will be done) ;)

Stundorn likes this.
  13. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

That's actually not true.

One promise that was made during the Kickstarter is that the Story would not Require entry into a PvP+ Scene.

14. Paladin Michael

Paladin Michael Bug Hunter

As I read this Thread I kept smiling. Not about, but with.

Well, as I told under Point 2 in a Thread of mine about MY experience with pvp, I know about such things - bad and good! ;)
    https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/f...skills-chaos-and-questbook.82778/#post-776026

Of course, you're all true, when saying: You knew about that you could be killed! Again - and again, and again!
    I think, the player wants to explain (for other newbies) his situation and conclusion: I wasted my time with resurrecting again and again and again ... and loosing my stuff.

And at this point just one old story: As I was a newbie in UO the same happened to me (and a lot of other newbies), as a PK used flame strike to kill us -again and again- because we had no chance!
    We just came in, wanted to explore the world - and some scary pk's had nothing better to do as killing for fun - well, whoever wants to be a serial killer, can play this way.
    In UO -first time- was no choice for "PVP" or not ;) That wasn't fun at all, but a lot of wasted time and reason for me not to explore the lands and leaving soon ...

The game gave this to us to. Was it by design? Well, who knows, and who can consider every situation?
    What happened? After a short time (meaningful oriented) players went to Trammel, and after this, there was a whole world full of - I mean - empty of players and full of the last pks...
    The name of this hell was Feluccia, if I remember right? And if they don't killed themselves forever, they will kill further until today - and noone cares about ...

Back to SotA:
    If not really aware of strange behaviours, the same could happen to us - without warning. Okay, we can point on a newbie: you should have known it as you did it this way!
    It was the first time, he tried something - and it went wrong (for him, not for the game system, which was so ... how we call it? "by design"). Point. That's it.
    Hey folks! If your child takes the first burning from fire, do you cry at him: "I told you! Just see what you've done!"?
    *sighs* Marshall B. Rosenberg wrote about non violant communication. Great things can be learned from him ... but that's another story ;)

If you say, you play a role, like a thief, like a murder (this is, what you are, if you kill not in self-defense ...) then, yes you're right.
    And if this is a wanted character inside a game, he should be a WANTED character. So we want to see a wanted poster in game!
    And we want to receive a high amount of XP when finding him and knocking him out :)
    What about half of the XP of this player? :) That's too high? What if the game would be made so "by design"? Wouldn't it be fair? ;)
    That would be funny. The first time, I would enter the MARSHAL Guild :) (okay forget about this little joke - not half of the XP, 25% is enough + bonus depending on the partymembers who helped to get him;))

If you say, well, pvp was to fight each other in a wide area without doing a duel, no problem: we have these areas. And you can claim, it is your right to kill everybody in these areas.
    I am with you. I am not with you to legalize murder in a town of a realm like this. This is a point, a meaning should come in the game. And I hope, it will.
    In UO there was karma. If the consequences, as promised for this game(!), will work, it will be very interesting. And I think, we will have a lot head hunter pvp's :)

I mean this serious: a game with consequences for our gameplay will build a very interesting world!
    This would give a lot of possibilities for "player driven quests(!)", like
    a player asks another, if he could bring back his stuff, stolen by another player ...

Well, beside this, why not making a short time for SECURE leaving a scene after slain by another player to prevent these Ankh-waiting-dishonorable characters?
    I don't mean the persons behind the Avatar! I am just talking about that character they are playing inside the game! I know, the real persons behind this dark Avatar wouldn't kill a fly, they are friendly at all, saluting their neighbors, loving children, washing dishes for her beloved wifes, helping grandma with her bags (no, not stealing and run away with!) ;)

Back to my not so serious point:
    The same thing as described in this Thread can happen in NON pvp scenes: ever be surprised by 4 hardened Skel. (2 archers, 1 mage, 1 fighter) after resurrecting at Shuttered Eye?
    It's harder as hard: it's hardened ;) They don't wait for me, until I shout: "1, 2, GO!", so it's a great thing, that the Ankh often is placed at the entrance to keep running ;)

And that's the moment in life, when crying out, as often heard from this little boy in the french film based on the book of Louis Pergaud
    French title "La guerre des boutons", German "Krieg der Knöpfe", may be in english "war of the buttons"?

If I had knew (what really! happens to me) I wouldn't have come with ... :)

And the little boy said this again and again and again - so funny to see and hear :)

At last I just want to say - as one who really can feel with the described case -:
    take your lesson from what takes the fun from you and from now do it this way, that your lifetime and as a part of it(!), your gametime, will be fun and relaxation for yourself :)

It works ;)

Stundorn and margaritte like this.
  15. Burzmali

Burzmali Avatar

Don't mind me, just tucking this thread into my back pocket for the next time someone mentions how open and welcoming the SotA community is.

Scanphor and margaritte like this.
  16. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

Open PvP is not the welcoming committee for all players. If you are not a PvPer or a part time PvPer you wouldn't want that greeting. Specially when PvPers are approached in the form of negative review of PvP.

Open PvP is cut and dry. Flag and no longer be protected from attack. Anything beyond that is imaginary.

Vox Aquila and fonsvitae like this.
  17. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

It could be as simple as:
    - you attack a pvp player
    - in a (non-PvP) city
    - who does not have his weapon out (even when not in a city that maybe should be a virtue hit)
    ...then there should be some game-enforced consequences. Right now there are game-enforced consequences that can happen if you steal from vendors too much. How hard would it be to extend it for this, even just giving the PK a red name?

And if you aren't a PK, then maybe you could give the other guy a chance to hit Z first.

Numa and Paladin Michael like this.
  18. CarlNZ

CarlNZ Avatar

People keep saying sandbox...... SoTA isn't sandbox. The game sorely needs guards in towns that will pile on PvP'ers fighting in the towns and rush to the aid of the attacked. Perhaps even attack PvP'ers on sight when they enter cities as part of the consequences for farming others.

Sir_Michael likes this.
  19. Paladin Michael

Paladin Michael Bug Hunter

@Ravicus Domdred,
    who said this where? I am confused about this ;)

@Ravicus Domdred,
    I am confused again:
    your post vanished!

Was it a dream? Was I am so tired? Nightmare on my way to Amarillo?
    Who knows ...

Well, life can change so fast. What we were scared about yesterday we like today and don't care about tomorrow ...

I beg your pardon: what was this thread about?

Last edited: May 6, 2017
    Ravicus Domdred likes this.
  20. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

I really wish I could find an element of sympathy.........I just can't.

• If you flag PvP expect PvP
    • Not all PvPers are nice and virtuous..........some just enjoy killing players and laugh at their misfortune (like me)
    • Some PvPers (like me) find it hysterical killing a player over and over
    • Learn your lessons.......if you get rez killed, rez somewhere else or change modes......it really isn't rocket science
    Bottom line is if you don't want to PvP and don't want to deal with the unexpected then just don't flag.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.