Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

a few major complaints R28 first impressions

Discussion in 'Release 28 Feedback Forum' started by Damian Killingsworth, Mar 31, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

I hope not ! maybe its time to talk prevention :confused:

As I prophetised its the guardian that wants you all to forget the fun things about early RPGs because he never knew about the brotherhood and the honor and the freedom. Quite simply so : he's jealous, especially of our king Richard Gariott.

Another blatant example is the way skills are based in melee, a strong warrior who manages to approach a powerful mage that just ran out of blinks(teleports) can restrain his hands and manage to prevent him temporarly from casting spells and or cause him to fizzle much more (same goes for archery, even a tackle can prevent or abort a good draw). Some skills should do exactly that, and not be based on causing double damage (which is another form of crit).

When approached in this way, range players should have a complete deck switch with *free* hand to hand skills and parries, with no swap penalty and no focus loss unless in case of a special attack. They shouldn't be left to rely on their dagger or wand DPS. *obviously*

*cough* wrestling skill for defense... Tai chi !

I see this timeline as a clear stranger diamond and its edges are perfect, however it seems to have some chaotic inclusions ; the time lord should not be that affected by the guardian's magic. :p

Last edited: Apr 3, 2016
    Time Lord likes this.
  2. DaemienX

DaemienX Avatar

F'ing this right here.

I've started humming the Benny Hill chase music when fighting archers/mages, because they do nothing but run. They aren't a threat (although their friends are), just supremely annoying. Also (and this may be lag), whenever I knock one of these runners down as of R28, they slide across the ground at run speed, get up and keep running. Super frustrating. Let them try to get to better positioning, but ultimately they should just swap to a melee weapon to defend themselves. Makes more sense.

3. Katrina Bekers

Katrina Bekers Localization Team

In R26-28 I'm playing an archer.

I don't even have learned the basic melee weapon skills.

I wouldn't be able to switch to a melee weapon even if I wanted, thus I'm either forced to plant my enemy in place (with shots and air magic), move away and rain death from afar, or just ignore incoming damage and go for tank'n'spank with high crit Aimed Shots, outDPSing tha attacker and relying on high Dex.

smack and Time Lord like this.
  4. Cinder Sear

Cinder Sear Avatar

I am loving the archers/mages behavior, it DID take a lot of time to overcome them for myself.. but I have learnt how to pick apart a large group now (10+ elves and skeles that were ranged, melee and mage, tier 5 zone). I cannot think this would be too easy for certain builds that were used to them standing still, but that's not how an enemy would react, is it?.. add a bit of magic, and things will go a bit smoother.. not the best solution for those who want to stay pure melee.. and I only speak from a mages point of view.

Time Lord likes this.
  5. smack

smack Avatar

Yeah I did the exact same thing for the past few releases. Ranger only with the default Air magic skills. No melee weapons at all. And my combat is likely identical to what an NPC ranger does. Move, shoot, repeat. If I think I can withstand the beating and get the kill before I die, then I'd just stay in place while spamming all my combos/skills.

Chatele, Time Lord and Katrina Bekers like this.
  6. Tiina Onir

Tiina Onir Avatar

So you can actually play it when chasing them around, that piece is called "Yakety Sax" (unless played on a guitar, in which case it's "Yakety Axe").

Time Lord likes this.
  7. DaemienX

DaemienX Avatar

hahahaha, thanks!

Time Lord likes this.
  8. Scrambler

Scrambler Developer Emeritus

Letting you all know we tuned how often they stand and fight late Friday. They'll have more of a tendency to stand and fight - it feels better to our combat designer and me.

I've been reading all the comments and suggestions posted.

Build 398 has the change.

Chatele, Mata, majoria70 and 8 others like this.
  9. Noric

Noric Avatar

Great news!

Time Lord likes this.
  10. Damian Killingsworth

Damian Killingsworth Avatar

:D

Time Lord likes this.
  11. Jefe

Jefe Avatar

Can we tune the ability for them to run through the player?

Time Lord likes this.
  12. Scrambler

Scrambler Developer Emeritus

This is *not* the final behavior for ranged combatants - it'll get better :)

13. Jefe

Jefe Avatar

Yep no worries. Providing feedback.

I think that this AI change has just brought to the forefront other things. Like when using active combat skills and a monster runs by the player and player follows, they temporarily moon walk and will not face their target. When this happens for about 10 seconds and prevents a player for attacking then that gets a little frustrating. Using active melee skills and mobility brings out the moonwalking. The more that this happens, the more frustration. Per my recollection, the moonwalking started happening moreso when the fluidity of attack animations fix came in. This is why we are play testing and reporting things. To help you guys make a better, enjoyable and hopefully successful game.

Oninoshiko, DaemienX and Time Lord like this.
  14. DaemienX

DaemienX Avatar

In the same vein as this, when an enemy runs by me, it feels like, more often than not, my auto attack gets turned off. Could we perhaps get an indicator that Auto Attack is on, or have an option that lets attack glyphs turn on auto attack? (if this is already an option/feature, I apologize but I haven't found it yet).

Time Lord likes this.
  15. Tiina Onir

Tiina Onir Avatar

As far as I can tell, the colour of your name-tag in the upper left does indicate that. Yellow indicates that auto-attack is on, but you are not attacking (usually you are out of range), red indicates you are actively auto-attacking. Any other colour indicates you are not in auto-attack mode.

YMMV, I'm not real confident on that.

Time Lord and Fister Magee like this.
  16. DaemienX

DaemienX Avatar

I'll have to test this. I always thought it was just a range indicator, but I didn't pay a ton of attention to it.

Oninoshiko likes this.
  17. Tiina Onir

Tiina Onir Avatar

Be sure to tell us what you find. Like I said, I'm not super-confident here, and would love to know if I maybe have something wrong.

18. Jefe

Jefe Avatar

So per my guesstimate, the color is based on how you rank against your opponent.

There is a check box in the esc menus for autoattack.

19. Wintermute of CoF

Wintermute of CoF Avatar

The colour of nameplates over enemies indicates relative level, the colour of your avatar name in the top left indicates auto-attack mode. Red = auto-attack in range; Yellow = auto-attack out of range; Other colours = not in auto-attack.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 6, 2016
  20. Noric

Noric Avatar

good demonstration.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.