A hidden abandoned village

Discussion in 'Housing & Lots' started by Phredicon, Jun 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Phredicon

Phredicon Avatar

What do people think of the idea of having a village, similar to all the others, but not visible on the overland map (until discovered) and completely abandoned by the NPC's? There could be existing structures that could be 'taken' and owned by individual players as an additional way to spread housing, as well as having the usual lots for PC's to place their deeds on.

I imagine this could be an interesting way to start a completely player-run or guild-run town.

2. Umbrae

Umbrae Avatar

I would hope there are all sorts of surprises in scenes that will not show up on the map until discovered. Ruined cities that can be revitalized by an explorer sounds grand.

3. jondavis

jondavis Avatar

Sounds like a good place for pk's.
    Yea maybe their house should be some kind of abandoned place they can claim or fight for.
    Or maybe a series of caves or something.

4. Margard

Margard Avatar

Great idea - but how would someone go about maintaining control of the town in PvE (for PvP I guess 24 hour guard duty :))

5. Ashlynn [Pax]

Ashlynn [Pax] Avatar

I would hope such forsaken settlements would have a reason for being abandoned. Either because they are hostile open PvP zones, or they are haunted by spirits that attack at night, or any of a bunch of other things.

6. PrimeRib

PrimeRib Avatar

I would like to see most villages start out in some way like this. So some are completely abandoned, some have struggling townspeople, some need to be liberated.

I guess I'd like to see that you can't simply put your own player town wherever, there certain spots but you have to find them and deal with / clear out whatever might be there.

Time Lord likes this.
  7. stile

stile Avatar

Fantastic idea IMO but I like the idea more for being used in single dwellings instead of villages and such.. That old hut, cave, etc off the outskirts of a village and such that has been suggested. This would be a great way to implement that odd bit of housing throughout the map that is outside of towns and the likes.

8. OrionSnake

OrionSnake Avatar

A good idea, it's like discovering resources/ruins in Civilization as the player reveal the hidden area. From my experience with previous Ultima games, the cloth map will contain clues to help players explore New Britannia. :)

PrimeRib likes this.
  9. stile

stile Avatar

I already ordered my colored and various style sewing pins to use for marking different types of things on my cloth map. Soon as I know what the cloth map size will be ill order my cork board. For those interested, here's the best prices I found to get the best assortment:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000AM7YJI/ref=oh_details_o02_s01_i02?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003BRZ6SK/ref=oh_details_o02_s01_i01?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003S27V0Y/ref=oh_details_o02_s01_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Ill make a legend in an excel spreadsheet, which I could print and laminate or pull up on a second monitor.

You also get a pin cushion with one of the sets which is handy, although I choose that set for the different shaped/style of the pin heads. I have a pin cushion more along these lines im using for nostalgic purposes as its the one I used throughout all the Ultima games for the same thing:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/pin-cushion...076?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c321623ec

Can't play yet, but figure I may as well start preparations! I'm just hoping that if you pledged high enough to where you get the signed map you still also get the unsigned one from the earlier tier or there will be a way to buy a separate cloth map. While sewing pins don't really leave holes, I don't really want to pin up my signed one.

Krez and OrionSnake like this.
  10. OrionSnake

OrionSnake Avatar

Very old school and a rewarding way to play the game :) I am not sure but I believe you have to buy a second cloth map if you don't want to use the signed one.

11. PrimeRib

PrimeRib Avatar

Ya, I was thinking like civ or envoy or similar games. But the locations would be fixed so you could add story, balance, etc. instead of people creating random villages wherever. Now that I think about it, there was an Envoy clone with Ultima lore in it.

Time Lord and OrionSnake like this.
  12. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

Yea, like the village of Paws in Ultima IX! :)

Seriously, I like the idea as long as the people who were going to place each has a house deed to claim each abandoned village house.

LordG

Visit ultimamuseum.com and your life will be complete (sort of). Not really but close...

Time Lord likes this.
  13. Robby

Robby Avatar

Discovering an abandoned village. That would be interesting, except for all the players that come into the game after the land is discovered. How much new housing land will be available to "discover" is the question.

14. Aurelius Silverson

Aurelius Silverson Avatar

I'd love the idea in a tabletop RPG campaign, but with an online game once anyone finds the place, it's almost certain to be detailed in forum posts, Wiki-type guides, or fan pages, so it may become a one-off phenomenon.

How about a slight tweak, there is such a village, or several, but the land deeds allowing ownership of buildings there are scattered around, either on refugee NPCs you may find wandering the world who let you have the deed to their ancestral home if you do something for them, or on the remains of less fortunate refugees, or looted from them by whatever killed them. All those sources of the rights to build could be wandering, or hidden, one-offs that you either find by clues, or simply encounter whilst exploring, so there's no way to have a 'go here and get a land grant' database.

jondavis likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.