A less immersion-breaking message window

Discussion in 'Archived Topics' started by Truthveyor, Jun 27, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Truthveyor

Truthveyor Avatar

Here is the current message window in SotA:
    [​IMG]

Here is a message window in Skyrim:
    [​IMG]

Notice the message window of SotA is slightly immersion-breaking. I'm not trying to say Skyrim is a better game than SotA. I am just saying that SotA can upgrade the look and feel of the game with a little bit of graphics design work on the message window's look. A message window in a game is sort of like the text font used in type-setting. It communicates a feeling or a mood. Notice Skyrim had chosen a minimalist, unintrusive look with their conversation system.

Here is another message window in Skyrim. Notice the frame with the Norse knots.
    [​IMG]

What feeling or mood does the message window in SotA convey?
    What feeling or mood do the message windows in Skyrim convey?

See what I mean?

2. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

Skyrim isn't designed for typing in your responses either. I agree that there needs to be some adjustments to the chat window, but its not something that can easily be replaced with a Skyrim like list.

Really, what I'd prefer is a window with the NPCs name at the top, and chat bubbles like a text conversation below. Align them right for what the player types, and left for what the NPC responds. At the very bottom of the UI, a text parser would pop up anytime you press enter, with the various chat functions to the left. This basically replaces the need to watch text bubbles over the NPCs head when you are speaking to them directly, but fits in with that same aesthetic.

We would need something different for chat channels, but those are not my primary concern.

Time Lord likes this.
  3. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

Yes, the UI and the windows look terrible. Like placeholders, they don't really fit into the game.
    And as for a cool conversation interface with NPCs... I think you know my opinion on that...

4. Greyfox

Greyfox Avatar

Canned responses versus freedom. Give me Shroud NPCs. Skyrim I always select the top response or the Yellow.

5. Truthveyor

Truthveyor Avatar

Sorry for some possible misunderstanding in the original post: I didn't mean to propose a change to the conversation system to Skyrim's multiple-choice system. I was only pointing out that the GRAPHICS DESIGN of Skyrim's message windows conveys a medieval or Norse feeling, which enhances the players' gaming experience. It's more immersive that way. I'm sure Port has artists on staff who can design as good or better message windows than Skyrim.

Small suggestion: The words "Tab 1" and "Tab 2" in the message window are a bit immersion breaking. Are they necessary? Can they have other names?

6. Daggerithian

Daggerithian Avatar

I'm not sure people understand what you're saying even though it's clear to me. Yes I agree it's very immersion breaking and misses the whole point of everything to me. Makes me feel like it's a generic chat window in any old mmorpg, not to mention it's a little hard to read and be engaged in that text. Even a different font similar to Ultima VII's conversatoin font or any single player game really. How it is now is not very imaginitive and I can't get into it at all.

7. Roycestein Kaelstrom

Roycestein Kaelstrom Avatar

As far as the border trim, I think that's something that will beautify toward the end of the roadmap. The actual dialog UI on the other hand is something they still need to iron out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.