Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

A Little Philosophy

Discussion in 'Release 30 Feedback Forum' started by Hermann von Salza, May 29, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hermann von Salza

Hermann von Salza Avatar

Been thinking, in regards the spirit of Truth, in Real Life, the more work ones puts into an item the better and long lasting it become. [True?]
    The more experienced and learned the welder/crafter, the better quality the item becomes [ true? ]

Can Joe schmo put together a sword or mend a tunic, sure but, will it be done as well as a Professional. [ probably not]

just as in real life the better quality one gets the more expensive it become. also in real life, if you willing to buy something you need short term or lack the funds to buy a better item, then your ok with buying a temporal item to suit your needs vrs economic position. these are tried and true circumstances where real people have made this evaluation in the light of truth. example: I am sure most everyone has had there fill of buy blades that wont sharpen - because they were made in Pakistan or Korea, or china... I know you all can relate. thus once used one simply throws it away and buys new. or hopefully in my case buys steal that can be sharpened. so I have to pony up the extra cash to buy something that I can use more than once, effectively making it worth more than two or 3 times the value of the Generic blades I can get from china. sure I have to spend the extra time in maintenance, but not so much more going to and buying blades and installing them.

so where am I heading in this, well I am not in favor of items lasting forever, but it should mirror real life, the more work and craftsmanship that goes into a piece the longer it should last. the point is, if you dont hold what is True, then your not going to make something that isnt true, work in the minds of people whom will relate to real world experiences. even the best made blades dont last forever, right, eventually the metal wears down to nothing vrs a blade that could be sharpened, but wont hold an edge and you end up doing a less quality work and slower than what would have been done with a quality blade that can be sharpen and last 3 times longer for 30% more Money$. so if I buy blades and cheapo blades cost 100$ but only last once and quality blade cost me 130$ and last 3 times longer which ones would most people buy, well if you know how to sharpen , you buy the quality steal, but if you cant, then you buy disposable blade.

these are tried and true principles. Stick to what is true. Just because I framed a shed, doesnt make me a carpenter and it doesn't make it square but it looks right and looks ok... =)

so enclosing, drops from spawn by there very nature should not last as long as Gm skilled, educated, crafted items. but longer than newbee items. It is my assumption that when the wipe hits every one will be nearly penniless, correct. so dont put item in the store that circumvents this. O wait, but you have kinda already circumvented by handing out umber item with accounts, which leads to why people, and rightly so are complaining about having paid soooo much already wanting to keep there bling bling and forever. You people shouldn't have to [ pay to play ] for anything for a long time. and I think many stop short of saying this but are obviously thinking it. Hope it was worth the read.

Last edited: May 29, 2016
  2. Hermann von Salza

Hermann von Salza Avatar

I dont if I have an option. and your quite welcome.... but the truth is the truth. however they make great Rugs and Tents.

3. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

crafted items do last longer than newbie items. the better your skill gets, the easier it gets to craft with higher durability.

the crystal sword, and the prosperity tools are the only things that have a unique game-altering attribute about them. None of the wearables are are good as a crafted item.

Marcus Antoninus likes this.
  4. Snikorts

Snikorts Avatar

@Marcus Antoninus, we don't buy blades to impress people in real life, we buy iphones for rediculous prices and guess what, they have really short lifespan compared to products made decades ago :)

5. Hermann von Salza

Hermann von Salza Avatar

I still have a Lp Flip and have since the beginning. and that paradigm is wrong, if your workmanship is lackluster, then your not impressing anyone, correct.

6. Hermann von Salza

Hermann von Salza Avatar

I still remember like it was yesterday, them shadow plate suits, with Flintfire Forge written all over them. I saved and saved to buy a suit.

7. Snikorts

Snikorts Avatar

I don't know waht LP Flip is, but nowdays brand is more important than actual item quality.

Don't get me wrong, I think you have made good point about item durability in SOTA

Marcus Antoninus likes this.
  8. Hermann von Salza

Hermann von Salza Avatar

9. helomech

helomech Avatar

I completely agree with your post. Items built locally by professionals is the way to go. We should be rewarded with good quality weapons as we master the craft. These mass producers like the foreign countries you mention aren't concerned with quality but just making a buck from the complete crap that they sell. I'm not offended at all and completely understand the meaning of the post. Thank you for posting. I loved it. Edit: This is without getting into a complete political rant about actual real life economy and putting money back into it. We both know what the writer was implying by the type of items he mentioned.. mass produced crap.. that crap you and i both know exists in comparison to some American made crap. I agree, blame the buyer. Unless he has no choice.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2016
  10. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

~The Buyer is Always Right~o_O?'
    Don't blame the manufacturer for the cheap crap you may have bought, blame yourself because it was only you that was uneducated enough to have bought it :D

:oops:~Truth~:confused:
    Most people can't afford "the good stuff" no matter where it was made. The pretty stuff is likely crap. How many ladies silk items wear out only after a few washes, yet was very pretty when it was purchased? It was soft pretty silk and not made for it's durability. It's the same with a sward, it looked good to you when you bought it, but after a few uses, you found that it wasn't durable. That steel wasn't made to take the torque of sustained use and neither was that soft and pretty silk. That sward wasn't made from high grade steel because no one could afford it when any market demands so much of it, yet wants it at a price. Skilled labor anywhere never comes cheap no matter if that's in the USA or in Asia. I guarantee if that silk product was made of Thai Silk it would have never worn out, yet it's so durable that I don't think it's beauty would have felt so good when it was first purchased because it's strong silk, yet very beautiful.

[​IMG]

I met a man here where I live in Thailand that was studying to become a better blacksmith for the creation of hand made Damascus Steel Blades. It ain't a cheap proses and it sure is time consuming, meaning long labor intensive. In the end result his blades sold for thousands yet many Damascus Steel Blades are also crap because they were made just for their looks to be sold to people that would never have used them to ever have found out that they were made cheaply.

Truth always comes from truthful education and truthful education is always best when you know more than the salesman, "who was only giving you what you asked for, from the large inventory he sold the most of, which was in demand".

And BTW... my life companion always looks like a very pretty package when she's wearing her Thai hand made, beautiful durable silk ;) even after it's been cleaned many times :D
    But, living in the center of Thai silk production has educated me in those things :cool: so I can make a much better purchase.
    So... "always blame the buyer and not the seller" :(
    ~Time Lord~:rolleyes:

StarLord and helomech like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.