A little Story and an iPhone App

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Sir Brenton, Mar 4, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sir Brenton

Sir Brenton Avatar

UPDATE 3/5/15: Please send me a PM with your email if you are interested in helping test! I will send you the link and information.
    UPDATE 3/19/15: Beta 3 available for testing.

UPDATE 3/30/15: Beta 4 - Map pins.

Hello. Let me begin with a quick story of how things changed for me. Up until release 14 I had participated with my dev+ account but only to a certain extent out of a bit of frustration. I started off extremely involved from the kickstarter, watching every hangout and chatting in the forums, IRC, etc. Over the time I had to back off and withdraw a bit however. The experience was just really buggy and slow for me and so I had a hard time staying involved being unable to walk through towns and participate in events,etc. Then came r14 and I decided enough was enough and made a trip to my local pc store and upgraded my rig quite significantly. And then...Finally! I could actually walk through Owl's Head and Ardoris and spin my camera, look around and enjoy the beauty of a game that was unfolding before me. I was hooked again, and it felt great. I was able to go to places people were posting about and try these things out. I was so excited with the everything now that I decided my experience needed an app that I could reference while playing. Bringing up maps and crafting recipes, knowing places to find certain creatures, etc. And so, in the last couple of weeks I made this:

I would really appreciate any comments or suggestions about wether you feel it would be something you are interested in or would like to try out even! It is currently in Beta so I have not filled out all of the data yet of course, but the functionality is there. I will soon have 1000 keys I can send out using apples new Test Flight program for anyone with an iOS device that would like to try it and participate in helping me flesh it out. Here are a few screenshots as well if you can't view the video yet.

Beta 3 Updated Screens:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thoughts? I am really excited about this and everything SOTA at this point.. The adventures await!

Xandra7, Mata, taka and 20 others like this.
  2. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

I would love to be a tester for you.

3. Smurfwizard

Smurfwizard Avatar

looks really nice

Tahru, Doctor and Brenton like this.
  4. Sir Brenton

Sir Brenton Avatar

Great, thank you that would be appreciated! Just waiting now to hear back on the keys. hopefully shouldn't be too long.

Thank you!

Sorry about the coughing in the background, just recored it real fast a little bit ago and ppl were around - thought I had it muted. I just updated the youtube video with some generic ambient music, should be easier on the ears shortly :)

Vyrin, Tahru and Doctor like this.
  5. Rubyhorse2

Rubyhorse2 Avatar

that looks to be a great little app and i can imagine it being really useful. Happy to help if you need me.

Tahru, Doctor and Brenton like this.
  6. Doctor

Doctor Avatar

Beautifully done. Really good job. It's great to see avatars within the community create and share content with everyone. This'll be a wonderful app I'd even use daily. Don't lose motivation and keep continuing to enhance it!

-Applauds you and raises a mug of ale for all the hard work and effort put into this-

Mata, Vyrin, Tahru and 2 others like this.
  7. Sir Brenton

Sir Brenton Avatar

Very kind words, thank you!

Mata and Tahru like this.
  8. smack

smack Avatar

Outstanding! I'm guessing you don't have a tablet version yet? And yes, would love to help test it too! :)

Mata, Tahru and Brenton like this.
  9. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Brenton welcome back. I'm so glad you decided to come back. What a wonderful app and contribution you have and are making. :)

Ice Queen, Mata, Tahru and 2 others like this.
  10. Sir Brenton

Sir Brenton Avatar

Actually yes! Its universal and I have tested it on my iPad:

[​IMG]

So if you have one I'd definitely like for you to try it out as well.

I actually used it exploring Deep Ravenswood and some other locations last night, lol.

Mata, Vyrin, Tahru and 5 others like this.
  11. Umbrae

Umbrae Avatar

Love those falling leaves. Looks really nice. Gotta fix the fruit-only problem though. ;)

Mata and Tahru like this.
  12. smack

smack Avatar

My body tablet is ready.

BTW, if you want to offer up english translated maps (including towns), I can send it to you. I've posted a few of them in the dev+ Maps thread too.

Mata, Tahru, Brenton and 1 other person like this.
  13. bwtdozer

bwtdozer Avatar

Looks awesome and useful. Thanks for the hard work on this great contribution. I hope to be able to use it one day. *cough* Android version *cough* *cough* :)

Mata, Vyrin, Tahru and 1 other person like this.
  14. Katrina Bekers

Katrina Bekers Localization Team

While I really applaud your effort (and offer my ancient iPhone4 as low-spec testbed once you have the keys from Apple), something started worrying in the back of my head.

The sense of discovery.

By release, it will be dead and buried and left adrift in a viking boat over a glacial river. Every single aspect of the game, map, recipe, mob, spell, etc. will be readily available mostly everywhere - and with smartphones/tablets, right next your keyboard and mouse.

Not bad per se, mind you. Still, food for thought: those recipe and map vendors will starve to death, however.

15. mikeaw1101

mikeaw1101 Avatar

Nice app!

Tahru and Brenton like this.
  16. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

Somewhere underground waiting to get you!
    pretty much, there will be no room for people that want to discover things, and if they do not want to use features like this, they will be left in the dust in the economic sense. Oh well, its a sign of the times, got to have it and have it now. *shrugs* Some days I wish the power would go out for a month or two and let people live in the real world lol.

Tahru likes this.
  17. mikeaw1101

mikeaw1101 Avatar

Good point! Perhaps, this would force people to stop posting on the SoTA forums every day.

18. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

I am not against technology by the way lol. I just have a problem with the way that people want to play the game I guess. I think the app is great and intuitive dont get me wrong. It just like so many things takes thinking out of the equation. Its like we are will all be borg connected to a main hive database going through the motions. Where is the sense of achievement? where is the sense of accomplishment? Google this, google that, this app that app. Is the end goal of gaming to start the game up and have it play itself? I just shake my head how far this goes against everything the devs put into the game to make it immersive and challenging. I think we should just make a plain world and let everyone plug there apps in and script away. Then we can all join up in skype and just talk about what ever and watch time go by. I know I don't have to use it, and can play in single player offline or what ever, I get it. Its just sad.

Tahru likes this.
  19. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

But then you'd not be able to post here, Ravicus......... ;)

20. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

Ya, I am really rethinking my position of being here. Its like going to the bar and every time you go and get your favorite drink you find out some one keeps adding water to it. Makes you want to go to another bar.

Tahru likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.