A new home

Discussion in 'New Player Welcome' started by Cobra101, Mar 24, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cobra101

Cobra101 Avatar

Ok, I've played enough to really like this game.

I might just want the extra sense of belonging that an in-game house bestows.

After much, much googling and searching I think I've come up with the current situation but I'm ready to be corrected

Please correct me if I'm wrong on any of this.

To have a house I need to have a deed to a lot of land
    The only lots still being sold in the AddOn store (or by upgrading my pledge) are for Player Owned Towns
    These deeds come with a strong warning to get permission from the town owner before buying one.
    How does that work?
    Can you be locked out of your own house?

The upgrade deeds are "tax free" while the addon ones are not. "a monthly tax will be levied" it says
    I can't find a table of tax rates anywhere. Does it vary by location or at the whim of the POT owner?

Some of this may be in here but one of the problems of this forum is the rapid erosion of the currency of information.
    An answer from this time last year may have been superseded by game changes. Perfectly natural in a rapidly improving game.

I've also seen some offers of housing from players.
    Is that a plot owner offering to rent it out or is it renting furnished accomodation?

How does it work out? The population here seems nice and trustworthy but...
    I've been playing MMOs for 15 years now and I've seen any number of ways to part a player from hard-earned game (and sometimes RL) cash.

Colour me paranoid.

And finally, I assume there will be a final wipe before launch?
    I did read a hierarchy for lots to be claimed afterwards - or has that already happened?

As always, more questers than ansions o_O

2. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Hello and welcome. Ahhh don't be paranoid. You are not going to lose your stuff and you will find so many awesome players. If you happened to be evicted ever everything goes to your bank and town owners don't do that, why would they? Having a full town is made desirable through it effecting blessing devotionals each town has, plus a full town looks nice, etc. Mostly when you place in a town, you may see townspeople but they do their own thing, some you may get to know if you are friendly and they are, otherwise it is not so much pressure and worry as people think. You can move from town to town seeing where you want to live if you must. I've been in game since Nov 2013 and I have not seen any reason for concern. You do not need to worry. And the offer in Wizards Rest is for rent free, hang your hat space while you decide what you want to do.

3. Stryker Sparhawk

Stryker Sparhawk Avatar

Persistence already took care of the final wipe.
    Launching of the story based product is the next milestone.

I won't discount your paranoia. A healthy respect of researching any product offering before acting on it is wise and sage advice.

NPC lots for players to take with place anywhere deeds is out there. PRT are like NPC cities except that the main storyline does not occur there.

POT owners offer all sorts of housing. Some even offer try a free rowhouse, and if you think anything is really valueable, that is what the banker is for.

And I will take a breath here...

4. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

the warning from port about checking with a governor before you buy a pot-only deed is more a covering-their-asses thing than a real risk right now. some hypothetical day in the future, there may be a real risk that if you can't come to an agreement with the governor of the pot you want to place in, there will be no others nearby to use as a fallback, but right now very few pots are full-up and there are hundreds of them. it would be like not buying a car because the parking space you wanted is full.

5. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Also I didn't mention I am Majoria in game if I can ever help. :)

6. Rennik

Rennik Avatar

Glad you've taking a liking to life in New Britannia! :) As far as what taxes are for a owning property, it's dependent on the size of the lot:
    Row sized lot: 500 gold per day
    Village sized lot: 1000 gold per day
    Town sized lot: 2000 gold per day
    City sized lot: 3500 gold per day
    Taxes can be paid in large chunks at a time, and can also be paid in COTOs.
    More info can be found here: https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/?p=61019

Portalarium says to check with a POT Governor first, just in case the lot you see is reserved for someone else, or is being held for a specific use. Many of the POTs still have lots of space available... a lot of times each town will have it's own culture or style, and some towns are primarily made up of many members of the same guild. All that being said, I would be shocked if a town that had available space turned you away. most POTs are always ready to welcome new residents. Just take the time to explore, find a place that works as a good "base of operations" for you, and never be afraid to ask! My name is "Rennik Brightarrow" in game, and I'm a member of the guild "Organized Chaos", and we live in Dawn's Keep, just south of Brittany. Feel free to give me a shout, and I'll be happy to show you around our little town, or answer any questions as best I can!

Safe Journey, friend!

7. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

You can tell how full a POT is by how many houses (out of 5) there are on the map (if it's a map town, there are lots of towns that you get to only through other scenes.)

I recommend checking out PaxLair, the downtown has just been totally redesigned and rebuilt after the dragon attack, so there might be a few really good lots still available.

If you have the scratch for a Tax Free deed it is pretty nice to have. If you get it in a bundle that has a Commission Free Vendor that's pretty awesome too. All these can be found in game from other players, though, if you don't want to buy them from the Store. You'll need around 400k for a vendor, prices for deeds vary vastly. Taxed Rows are pretty cheap though.

Friend me in game as well, Vladamir Begemot.

8. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

POT Lots are the only ones being sold in add on store - YES
    The warning is just saying that oyu have to have permission from the POT owner to place the lot but you cannot lose anything IF you own the Lot Deed.
    THE ONLY WAY OYU CAN LOSE ANYTHIGN IS IF OYU PLACE STUFF ON A LOT THAT OYU ARE NOT THE OWNER OF.
    (what I mean is if you are a co owner and place stuff on the lot the owner can take that stuff at any time, there is NO guarantee and no rental setup yet to protect you thru the game, that is why POT has that warning)
    Once you have a Lot Deed you can Claim a lot making you the lot owner, the POT is still the governor and can evict you but your stuff is protected.

The ONLY risk is to "rent" at this time since it is all on the trust with the true owner.

9. Cobra101

Cobra101 Avatar

Many thanks for all the help.

I'm a lot wiser if slightly daunted by the tax rates.
    I don't want to get into a situation where I can't afford not to play or spend my time grinding to pay the taxes.
    However I expect those are pocket change to someone who has levelled up a bit so I think that is what I'll do first :)

10. Timmy Vortex

Timmy Vortex Avatar

Hope you'll get a cool house you can settle in :D and welcome to the game!

11. rpgmaniac82

rpgmaniac82 Avatar

Welcome and hope you enjoy your house;D!

12. Rosemourne

Rosemourne Avatar

@Cobra101, many players (myself included) offer free housing while players level up to the point where they can afford their own home and the taxes that come with one. @Astor Cerberus is one such player offering row homes, but also the town of Styx (Which is fairly conveniently located). While I also offer this service, but my town is currently pretty poorly located. Feel free to contact me in game, Aidenolm Rosemourne, if you need to ask any questions about housing or the game in general.

Now, as far as finding your own deed, try to find a player who won one from the lottery in game and will sell you the deed for store credit. You can likely find the deed for cheaper than the addon store. The reason I say store credit is because then you still put money into the development of the game :p. Then, if you save some money, you can spend that on more cool stuff from the store, the player gets his credits, you get your deed and deco, and Portal gets the same amount of cash. Win-win-win!

13. Lord-Galiwyn

Lord-Galiwyn Avatar

I also offer housing for new avatars

Time Lord and Vladamir Begemot like this.
  14. Cobra101

Cobra101 Avatar

I have to say I'm slightly overwhelmed by the strength of the community here.
    As I'm led to believe a much younger person would say - You Rock!

I've had a bit of a think about the taxes and if I pay them in COTOs then it really equates to a subscription. Except I can save it when I get to a point where the IGG cost is easier for me.

I've been splashing about in a few 1-skull scenes today and easily made 1,000g but I don't want it to be a grind so the COTO route seems best to start with.
    I also discovered the pubic vendor in Ardoris and if the stuff there sells I should have another revenue stream.

I also visited a lot of POTs. Everything from very clannish closed communities to incredibly well constructed towns. I'd love to meet the owner who called their combat vendor "Inigo Montoya" :)

Congratulations to the community for making this such a welcoming experience both here and in-game.

DarkStarr, Rennik, Time Lord and 2 others like this.
  15. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

Ardoris has a good public vendor, I buy from it all the time. You'll be a lot more successful with good pricing strategies though. Places to find it without having to learn the hard way (the vendor eating your goods if they don't sell after 7 days)

• Experienced merchants (message me, or lots of others)
    • Look at the bottom of the Ardoris Public Vendor. If it's made it to the last day, it was probably overpriced.
    • Trade channel in Discord.

Just because you see something priced at a certain point on a personal vendor doesn't mean it will ever sell. It could have been on there for months.

Time Lord likes this.
  16. Lord-Galiwyn

Lord-Galiwyn Avatar

easy way to make 500 gold and 500 x, by visiting the Oracle and answering the question correctly.

Time Lord likes this.
  17. Astor Cerberus

Astor Cerberus Avatar

18. Rennik

Rennik Avatar

I went the COTO route to pay taxes for my housing lot (Village size) intially... bought 50 COTOs for $44, which pays my taxes for about 4 months. So yeah, it's kind of like a "subscription"... but I figure that when I make a bit more in-game gold I can just pay the taxes that way. But at least, until then, I have a very nice house to decorate and stash my stuff in, and know that my rent is taken care of for a bit if I need to go "AFK" for an extended period.

19. Beaumaris

Beaumaris Avatar

Welcome to SOTA!

20. By Tor

By Tor Avatar

Welcome to the SotA family, Cobra101!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.