Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

A new UI for freeform bag inventory

Discussion in 'Release 2 Feedback' started by gtch, Jan 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mugly Wumple

Mugly Wumple Avatar

I started a thread in the Dev+ section regarding same. I'm not going to copy everyones' comments but these were mine:

I start out as a fan of the freeform pack, but recognize there are MAJOR inconveniences with it. To whit:
    Clutter
    Things on Top of Things
    No Way to Sort
    Moving Things

Here are some suggestions to improve the use of freeform containers.
    Stacking
    Like stacks with like. Ex. All arrows stack, regardless of variant. All bolts of cloth stack, regardless of color or textile.
    I can tell a container to stack everything that is stackable.
    I can tell a stack to unstack.
    Only empty containers stack.

Listing Content
    A tooltip that lists what's in the stack or container. To take it to the next level, a grid that pops.

Multi-Select and Drag
    Implement the standard Select operations of Select All and Multi-Select/Unselect

Show Buried Items
    Everything behind comes forward. For example, the layering could be reversed, as if you were looking at everything from the bottom.

--------
    Smart or Intelligent stacking can go a long way in addressing the inconveniences of the traditional UO pack, but it can't get too aggressive. It still needs to keep things separate if I desire. In the cloth bolts example, I may wish to combine colors but keep my wool and cotton separate.

In UO, if I dropped an item onto a closed container it would stack. I like your idea of assigning a type to a container. It could be as simple as looking for a similar item, first in the main container than within each enclosed container. A container could be assigned a "type" by simply putting something in it. For example, if the blue bag inside my pack had a dagger in it AND my main pack had no bladed weapons in it, then dropping a blade on my pack would automatically place it in my blue bag.

Obviously, this could become too finely grained to become a hindrance. Is it a dagger or a blade? Did it go in my poisoned blades pouch or my iron weapons pouch? Maybe it's just in my bladed weapon pouch or got stacked in my main pack cuz there was a dagger buried in there.

Stacking and grouping are some great but complicated improvements. I think packs could go a long way towards usability by simply adding multi-select and layer reversal so you can get to buried stuff.

--------=
    Further thoughts on typed sacks and Mishri's original suggestion.

Assuming that every item will have some sort of description, then a sack could be named using those words. Beyond recognizing gross categories - Gathered, Alchemy, Bladed, etc, an item would go into the first sack that best matched its description. A sack named Silver would collect all silver items, a sack named Silver Dagger collects silver daggers. A sack named Mugly would collect all items made by Mugly.

I believe that this idea adds both versatility and simplicity.

Lord Baldrith likes this.
  2. Jynx

Jynx Avatar

Gtch: Really love your idea. Especially showing what recipes and/or uses an item has, given that you've already discovered the use.

Love it.

3. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

(Michael the Guard) Halt!
    (Time Lord) *sets down the ballroom table on his back* Hi I'm the "Time Lord" and I'm moving in here, can you help me carry the table?
    (Michael the Guard) Sure 'the"
    ~TL~:rolleyes:

Father Guido Sarducci likes this.
  4. Betamox

Betamox Avatar

Please, no grids.

OP - good ideas and illustration.

Time Lord likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.