1. Threads will remain in the main wishlist section while being discussed. After being reviewed by the Devs for initial feasibility, and depending on thread activity, the thread may be moved into one of the two subsections
    How to post your idea:
    Create a thread with a clear title that describes what the idea is about. Only one idea per thread!
    Please specify either in the title of the thread (if there is space) or at the very top of your post, what type of idea it is, For example: Housing (Houses, Lots, etc)
    Example title: Housing: Epic Keep and Castle Size Homes other than Pirate Ships
    Be sure to include details about your idea. Devs, and or players may reply to your thread asking additional questions, so please be willing to provide more details.
    Please see the sticky thread marked **READ FIRST** for more details...

A plea for variety: Replace Clothing patterns with display slot

Discussion in 'Wishlist Requests' started by Bridge Troll, Aug 6, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bridge Troll

Bridge Troll Avatar

The pattern system works well for weapons and decor-type items, but it really limits the expression of our character. Bridge Troll spent 4 or more years with a Kobold Archer Mask. Now, I rely more upon air shield and focus, so I wear cloth. It feels like a whole different character to me, and I assume others.

Speaking frankly, you will never have ample staff to keep up with our wishes in the area of armor and clothing variety -- we are savages! I wanted to offer an easily implementable idea that would add a variety of clothing options to the player base.

The idea is based upon my memory of Guild Wars 2 - I haven't played in years, but I think they had all the armor slots that we have; they may have had a shoulder slot as well. For each clothing item that was displayed, we had a "worn item slot" and a "displayed item slot". The stats earned by wearing a clothing item would be driven by the "worn" slot, not the "display" slot. The display slot had only had type restrictions (ring can't go on the shoulder we now desperately need!).

Please, and thank you for your consideration.

Vladamir Begemot and Scooby Doo like this.
  2. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

This sort of "appearance override" functionality is a staple of almost every modern MMO (and even a lot of older ones).

Sota always tries to do stuff "differently" but there's a reason why so many games do things certain ways - because it works.

The patterns system we have is very clunky and overcomplicated. I originally thought the reason we went with this sort of system was so that exclusive patterns could be monetized, but, appearance-gear is also monetized, so there was no need for the intermediary step of fooling around with bits of paper. And the whole reason why we needed to have "chainmail patterns for chainmail" and "cloth patterns for cloth" was because some people squawked that hiding your gear under cosmetics made some sort of difference to PvP - same reason we didn't get hide helmet for so long.

So - monetization - would be easier without having to make all the little paper bits
    PvP - the amount of 'edge' you'd get by being able to identify someone's gear type is extremely minimal and PvP's got much larger issues in this game than worrying about whether you can tell from a distance what sort of gear someone is wearing.
    Realism? You don't want someone running around in a fancy dress fighting? Hello, we have cycling rainbow whatever, star was weapons, etc. Ship sailed.

Unfortunately, because we have patterns and people have spent money/time/effort farming/collecting patterns, even if we did decide that "this is a crap system that is way too complicated" how do we change our minds at this point? Turn all patterns back into Cotos, scrap entire system, and just go with something simple and clean? I'd be in favor of this, but I can't imagine it will happen.

Vladamir Begemot likes this.
  3. Warrior B'Patrick

Warrior B'Patrick Avatar

Greetings all
    First off this needs to be in the Wishlist Request section. I would like to see this implemented also. I remember a game I played a long time ago that had a wardrobe menu. All cosmetic clothing and weapon sets would go in it and would not count against your inventory or bank. You also would not have to carry them around. Just click the wardrobe menu and all your cosmetics would be there and you could change as often as you wanted. They also had a sale every week/month for a new cosmetic set that you could buy and change into any time you wanted to.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.