Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

A suggestion for better skill decay

Discussion in 'Release 21 Feedback' started by Magnnus, Sep 6, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Magnnus

Magnnus Avatar

Currently, a pool of skill decay is accumulated in real time (with a cap of 2 days worth of skill decay). Skill decay is then applied when the player advances a skill or dies.

I see two issues with this system:
    1. Skill decay is tied to real time. A busy player who is penalized more than one who plays 24/7, because the busy player accumulates less experience per day of real time.
    2. Skill decay is inevitable. If you want to increase your skills, skill decay must be applied. This results in a hard cap on skills.
    This is my solution:
    1. A pool of skill decay is accumulated only when experience is gained. This pool is still capped, and is not applied immediately.
    2. Skill decay is only applied when the player dies.
    The effect is thus:
    1. A very skilled player, who never dies, is able to increase their skills indefinitely (although slowly for very high levels), because skills only decay on death.
    2. A player who dies occasionally, sees skill decay similar to the current system. This acts as a soft cap. The less they die, the higher their skills can reach. Unlike the current system, it does not matter how busy the player is in real life.
    3. A player that dies repeatedly (lets say they're exploring a new high level zone) will not see excessive skill decay, because they are not killing (therefore not accumulating a pool of skill decay). This is the same as the current system.

Duchess Wyldemane and Moonshadow like this.
  2. Fionwyn Wyldemane

Fionwyn Wyldemane Avatar

Interesting ideas and something for me to think about!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.