A what point in crafting a weapon does exceptional matter?

Discussion in 'Crafting & Gathering' started by Tahru, Jun 18, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

Did gem first enchants ever get added to bows?

FrostII and Time Lord like this.
  2. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

Let me re-phrase my question - Does it matter WHEN you socket ?
    Do you get more or less "options" if you socket first, in-between MW-Enchant, or last ?

Last edited: Mar 24, 2022
    Time Lord likes this.
  3. Pifester

Pifester Bug Hunter

more options if you socket first. So if you are looking for those effects specifically, dont do it till afterwards, since it dilutes the effect pool for majors.

FrostII, Adam Crow and Time Lord like this.
  4. Adam Crow

Adam Crow Avatar

No
    Yes. Like Pifester said, there are more enchanting options if you gem first. Masterworking is not effected by this in any way currently. The list of options that Violet's last post showed, are the types of enchantments that are added.

For me personally, if I really want to add a special enchant, I almost always do it on a 3rd+ enchant. Because you have a much better chance getting majors on those first 2 enchanting chances. You then add gem for the third+ chances, so your special enchant has a higher value too.

5. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

6. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

@Adam Crow
    And this would apply to anything OTHER than bows, right ?
    Have they stated a reason for the bow exemption ?

Time Lord likes this.
  7. Adam Crow

Adam Crow Avatar

Yeah in my personal opinion, ranged is still overpowered cause its so versatile. I have everything trained, and adding gems to ranged would basically make most players start to use it as their main dps. Just another really hard thing to balance to add to the list of things we already have that are hard to balance.

In my opinion, won't help anything to add those gems, it will instead just cause issues that they would have to lower dps for ranged etc. Basically it will bring in many more problems then it solves.

Time Lord, FrostII and Anpu like this.
  8. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

How often is a straight archer the DPS leader in a group situation? From my experience, almost never now.

Time Lord and FrostII like this.
  9. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

[QUOTE="Barugon, post: 1340505, member: 132422"]How often is a straight archer the DPS leader in a group situation? From my experience, almost never now.[/QUOTE]
    Correct !
    Never........

Last edited: Mar 26, 2022
    Time Lord and Barugon like this.
  10. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

This has always been in question when it comes to "stand-off weaponry", and the answer always lay in the question of, "how much danger is the stand-off weapon in when compared to other melee".

Damage and danger are related factors, and as they relate here, standing off from danger is the source of the archer's advantage. Certainly, when disregarding this advantage, the argument seems clearly reasonable, yet when the archer's advantage (an advantage that melee has not) is factored in as the hidden or unseen power at work within the battle, then the more clear truth can be seen... not able to be measured in DPS.

Stand-off weapons better lend themselves as support weapons rather than being very good when employed as primary weapons due to their primary weapon fuction needs of constant movement to avoid the damage/danger factor.

[​IMG]
    ~Time Lord~

ConjurerDragon and Turk Key like this.
  11. Adam Crow

Adam Crow Avatar

Ranged does heavy dps to a single target very well, but isn't the best for AoE damage. AoE builds are going to do better in a group. That doesn't mean ranged isn't powerful though. And don't get me wrong, I don't think adding gems to them would be game breaking or anything, but with those gems they will probably add special enchants to help ranged dps even more.

And keep in mind a tamer/bard spec build with ranged could easily be the dps lead in a group. So this would add even more dps to what is probably the strongest build in the game...

12. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

So, what you really mean is that using a high level pet with barding and archery can be OP but you previously singled out archery as OP. Swords also do pretty massive damage; one could do the same with that.

FBohler likes this.
  13. Adam Crow

Adam Crow Avatar

No I said I think it's overpowered because it's so versatile. It's useful in tons of different situations, and unlike the other melee skills you can do it at range. I said I personally don't think it needs special enchants added, but if they did add them everyone will start using it.

14. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Just to be clear, you can gem socket a bow but you apparently don't get any special gem-based enchantments. It won't really matter to me either way if they do or don't enable those enchantments.

15. Adam Crow

Adam Crow Avatar

If they give them special enchants what do you think they should do? I guess if they were well thought out and more situational, instead of just added power in all situations, I would be totally fine with it

16. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

How about something really silly like arrow conservation :p~TL~

ConjurerDragon likes this.
  17. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

I'm not the one asking for special enchantments.

FBohler likes this.
  18. Adam Crow

Adam Crow Avatar

For what gem? You have to socket a gem into a bow and then come up with what special enchants would pop up after socketing while enchanting.

My vote is don't go down this road at all cause ranged is fine and needs no more buffs or added dps.

Time Lord likes this.
  19. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

All thoughts in our development should always be in the spirit of Ultima!
    We suffer from dull technical seriousness o_O...
    [​IMG]

Until we get balls of dung for agriculture, maybe a ball of clay would do till then :) While this may seem a jest, it's a real suggestion as our sota program has passed up many times the oportunity to add comic relief as all Ultima Games before it have included.

Our coconut travel was one of the last hints of what made Ultima great, as it is not that an overwhelming amount of humor that is needed, but the right amount of small comedy spice sprinkled here and there throughout normal sota life and not a one off thing.

Example, The Three Stooges of Ultima, The Savage Empire:
    https://strategywiki.org/wiki/Worlds_of_Ultima:_The_Savage_Empire/Disquiqui_tribe

Our game has sailed off the map in it's technical seriousness, a funny link between agriculture and the bow could help mend that through such a link. Furthermore, the resins from any of the "wooden trees" currently produced through agriculture could also provide additional properties through differing agriculture produced wood resins produced through adding the element of dung to our crops.

We even have toilets in our coto shop which could produce such a thing, or collect such a thing from gathered dung to create the mixture needed. Emptying an outhouse is a very funny thing to have to do within such a process, yet never producing enough to ever become an industrial mass crop enhancement. Just the right amount of comic relief here and there, is what is always needed within such an over the top serious world as we've become.

These are not meant to be specific suggestions, they are only elemental pathways which are missing within our game to bring us back closer to the spirit of Ultima.

So socket a piece of dung in it, till we can process that dung into resins.
    We did the same thing before when we transitioned coconuts into horses.

All thoughts in development o_O
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    should always lead back Ultima!

~Time Lord~

Last edited: Mar 27, 2022
  20. brewtus23

brewtus23 Avatar

@Violet Ronso ? about the Gemming of gear before doing the enchants/masterworks. Is there any benefit to Gemming say your weapons with the Imbued Ringmaster Gem that would give some kind of a Tamer special Enchant? Or is there nothing special from doing that like say the Earth Gems do?

Time Lord likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.