Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

About complex and deep quests and starter quests

Discussion in 'Release 28 Feedback Forum' started by Lord_Darkmoon, Mar 31, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

When I start playing a new RPG the first quests I have to do determine whether or not I want to play the game further. So the first quests have to be exciting and interesting. Also the first quests have to be representative of the whole game.
    In a game that wants to be the spiritual successor to the Ultima series I expect quests that are multi-faceted and which include interesting NPCs.
    I expect quests that may not be what they initially seem to be. Quests that can change midway to something else. I also expect NPCs who have deep personalities and who maybe have a secret.
    I think that the first quests of SotA should offer this (and of course the later quests, too).
    Really complex quests that require us to think and do many things. Quests that make us wonder if what we do is right, that make us wonder if the questgiver may play a false game with us.

Right now we have very straightforward and simple quests, quests that even got simpler as originally planned because people thought that they were too complex. From searching a dead body to find the key to the city gates we got to a point where we just get the key automatically. This is a development which saddens me and I have big doubts about the complexity of the other quests in the game if people think that it is too complicated to search for a key instead of getting it automatically.

I thought that the quests would be one thing that would make SotA stand out and underline the interesting, complex and deep story of the game.

Not all of the gameplay mechanics may be in place yet to create deep and complex quests and this also troubles me. Will all of the quests be redone once those mechanics are in the game? Do we have placeholder quests right now? (I don't think that we have placeholder quests as we will be able to play at least the love storyline from beginning to end in the next release) Will we get deep and multi-faceted quests although some players don't seem to want complex quests?
    I would really like to hear the opinion of the devs on this and maybe clarify what the plans for the quests and the starter quests in the game are.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2016
  2. Svahn

Svahn Avatar

I think the starter quests should be easy and guide and teach the player the basics in a fun and interesting way.
    And right after the "tutorial" the quests should be of such quality that you really want to do them.

Me too.

Leelu, Sara Dreygon and Sir Cabirus like this.
  3. Sir Cabirus

Sir Cabirus Avatar

I think whether the starter quests are easy or more advanced is not the point. Imho the starter quest should be interesting, an appetizer that makes me want to play the game. A good introduction to a complex story, a story with many twists and turns, full of secrets and surprises. Therefore the starter quests are very important for many people - at least for me :) The beginning of Ultima VII, where you find the mutilated body of the blacksmith right at the start, is a good example for this.

Leelu, Spoon, Sara Dreygon and 3 others like this.
  4. Smalls

Smalls Avatar

@Lum Share your vision here

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.