About SoA...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Lord Spaz, Feb 10, 2019 at 3:03 PM.

1. Lord Spaz

Lord Spaz Avatar

You guys sold it as the next Ultima Online and the next big Lord British game and it turned out to be this piece of crap. Instead of buying that house plot I could of just flushed the money down the toilet. This comes close to a scamm. Thanks for this very weak game, it sucks in every aspect Ultima Online is WAY better than its over 20 years older ''successor'' LOL! TBH Im getting the impression Starr Long paid his honeymoon with the money

Stevvcash likes this.
  2. that_shawn_guy

that_shawn_guy Avatar

i can tell you greatly dislike shroud of the avatar. but, i can't figure out why.

can you be more specific?

thank you

3. Dinsoo

Dinsoo Avatar

4. Lord Trady of Blix

Lord Trady of Blix Avatar

What kind of plot do you have and what do you want to sell it for ?

Also your avatar reminds me... Anyone know in game where Baron's imps are being sold ? Thanks.

Lord Spaz likes this.
  5. Titania Xylia

Titania Xylia Avatar

I can't get it out of my head.

Sorry to hear your having a bad time.

6. Black Tortoise

Black Tortoise Avatar

Sorry you had a bad time. I too longed for a "UO 2," though I do love how SotA turned out nonetheless. This game has so many great surprises and angles, I hope you do return to explore them!

7. Lord Trady of Blix

I mean if you're really mad, there's always Legends of Aria. I hear all the UO people love that game.

8. macnlos

macnlos Avatar

I'm currently not a fan of this game and hanging on the fringes of the forums. That being said, forums are fine for voicing an opinion but I also expect people to share specifics and generate discussion, otherwise it's simple whine without the cheese. Also, saying something personal about someone (Starr) is inappropriate.

Quest system is broke. Economy is broke. Almost every system is incomplete with some more flushed out than others. Launch, partnerships and the marketing campaign (if you call it that) was not successful. Even the community, which has always been the best aspect of this game, is fractured and dwindling.

There is potential for this game but I'm not sure if it is feasible from a financial and/or leadership perspective. Even if I waved a wand and put in front of everyone the path to make this game awesome... I'm not sure if financially they can do it. And given where the game is right now, where it has been steered to, I'm not confident in the ability of individuals to drive and get it where it needs to be.

It's so unfortunate, it has such potential. I've never thought that this was a scam, never thought that was anyone's intention. I actually believe it was simply a series of directional failures. Maybe it was the origins of it being a Kickstarter project. Maybe there were too many cooks in the kitchen with so much feedback from users. Maybe the original plans were simply too much and there was over commitment. None of that is a "scam", it's simply a failed effort.

So how could this game be moved forward? No one wants to hear this but I'm starting to believe that it needs a leadership change, it needs a significant investment (talking millions now), and it takes the acknowledgement that the game will be different and will lose some people. The hope being that it comes out on the other side as a viable and healthy product. But people, don't want to hear that, and that's okay.

There are still people who play this game and are having fun. I do not mean to impugn them. I've always said that the game is what you make of it and if you are having fun then great. But this game never reached it's potential or envisioned destination. I think personally I've moved on from a negative/angry feeling and simply feel disappointed. I was really hoping for the game to be a lot closer to its potential by this time.

NOTE: I think there are bits of promising truth coming out here and there. Atos and his interview by Markee Dragon had a couple of key points. I really liked when he discussed the differences between those that were Ultima fans (questy/story interest) and those that were Ultima Online fans (people, mechanics interest) and how different they truly are. This was a confession point, this pointed to some of the underlying issues that have contributed to the state of the game. In short, they attempted to make a shoe for two communities with different shoe sizes. They have succeeded in making a shoe that fits no one group well and all groups poorly.

9. Alleine Dragonfyre

Alleine Dragonfyre Avatar

10. Nevyn Waldail

Nevyn Waldail Avatar

I think lots of people have concerns about the direction of SotA. I think all those people know exactly what to do to fix it. I think none of those people have the same idea.

That in a nutshell is the problem.

margaritte, Elwyn, Mishras and 4 others like this.
  11. Nikko

Nikko Avatar

Dinsoo already ate 'im

Elay, Dinsoo, macnlos and 1 other person like this.
  12. Doctorface

Doctorface Avatar

13. macnlos

macnlos Avatar

Me or OP? I feel super duper.

14. oplek

oplek Avatar

In a way, I wish they'd engage in some conceptual triage... settle on a core concept, and focus on it. I almost don't care what it'd be at this point.

I think the dungeons are a good example of the multiple shoe sizes. Basements have an exact footprint the size of the lot. That makes sense. There's a lot of immersion/reality stuff in the game like that. It makes it feel more like a real property/house. That's all integrated with the greater world which has a storyline, sieges, etc.

... then suddenly, in middle of all that, you can have people building vast underground labyrinths with caverns and cathedrals... all from a 0.25 acre plot of land, sitting flush with your neighbors. There's going to be skeletons and bosses and whatever else down there, that you'd think would have implications on the main storyline. It feels like a major deviation from the world they were trying to construct. It's jarring.

I don't think this is a scam. The problem with KS is that, they're not exacting specifications, so there's a lot of room for people coming up with their own interpretations of what to expect. I didn't expect them to be mistake-free, but what I do expect is that they learn from those mistakes, and make course corrections accordingly. The frustrating part is that this doesn't seem to be happening.

15. Dinsoo

Dinsoo Avatar

This avatar is probably very tasty. I love all the tags on the OP. lol! It simply is not true however. To each their own!

Elwyn likes this.
  16. macnlos

macnlos Avatar

I think one of the other issues was the phrase “Spiritual successor to Ultima Online”. I cringed the first time I heard that because I never felt this was in any way a successor to UO. As soon as you say UO, you have set expectations. It was wrong to ever say that. I always tried to say that you would see some of the DNA of UO in the game but it is not a successor.

17. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

they're in the Dungeon Dimension

18. Lord Trady of Blix

Out of all the stuff you can complain about for this game, you picked PMD, the best feature, and want it reigned in ? Hmmm.

Agree with you about people coming up with their own intepretations tho. That was a major problem from the beginning. Still is.

Duke Gréagóir likes this.
  19. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Really trying hard to figure out what PMD stands for....

Eina Stein likes this.
  20. Lord Trady of Blix

Player Made Dungeons

Barugon likes this.