About SoA...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Lord Spaz, Feb 10, 2019.

1. Alleine Dragonfyre

Alleine Dragonfyre Avatar

Premenstrual dysphoria.

Vero, Mishras, Astirian and 4 others like this.
  2. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

LOL

3. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

I get those symptoms every time i read one of Grumpie's posts.

4. Woodchuck

Woodchuck Avatar

@macnlos great post -- i share all your sentiments. "directional failures" is a kind way of describing it.

Honestly, I think this game should not move forward. This big blundering heaping mess of a game needs to stop. Now.

Is it just me or does anyone also feel they're on a runaway train? The conductor from the outset has steered the train astray. Meanwhile, in the engine, the head engineer is feverishly shoveling coal with a singular overriding focus of using all the available coal. Lost train. Full speed. Cliff approaching.

There's no shame in scrapping everything and starting over. The shame is to keep adding to the mess and thinking it'll be okay.

The courage to do the right thing:

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
    Feeyo, Gloop, Preachyr and 5 others like this.
  5. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

Sorry but this is not all together true, sure in the KS they did leave thing with some ambiguity, and the one who backed it accepted that but there where also some VERY SPECIFIC more singilur Items that where sold that where either never delivered, or changed without even being any thing close to what was already sold.

POT blew up in their faces, and instead of dealing with actually correcting them they just do it again for EPX 2.

Dungeons are Great but they are going to be almost like all else and in a few months be just another place with few visitors.

They needed to get back to the crafting and making region workable, these might make the creative, inginuitive and intriguing crafting that was supposed to drive the economy viable. However they have slashed their staff so much that all they have left can not even handle what is broken adding viable new content and dealing with the project hurdles they still have to clear.

You hear in here Start over, get help, . . . . actually if they go back and look as soft skill caps and get it actually working instead of just giving up then they can work on creating the G A M E that was intended to be played for years and not just ground until you can walk thru the game from start to finish in 110 minutes and stand around a look down from the top of the hil and wounder what to do next.

Floundering aground adding new Pixel Crack every month to try and squeeze a few more dollars out of diehard niche backers is going to dry up fairly soon with the current direction.

Vero, Gloop, majoria70 and 4 others like this.
  6. Xee

Xee Avatar

Being an old UO player I can see 20 years of UO for sure has alot more then this, but common that is 20 years in the making.

As to SOTA, its slowly getting to be the UO successor imo. doesn't have to happen over night, I think in the end we will have truly what was promised.

Over the last 4 years I have seen a game that has nothing to a game today that has a lot of stuff in it. Still has a long ways to go, but its getting better every release.

A lot of the issues presented above are being worked or on the list of things to be worked on. Its all a matter of time.

I think the new Quest system to replace the broken is one of the many important things coming. From my perspective I think one of the main things that needs to happen though is improved loot.
    I think we need to have regular good loot on bosses, then epic loot, and last the extremely rare legendary. This way there is at least a minimal reward each time even if its a rare crafting ingredient.
    having the usual loot we always get seems to be standard for all bosses. gold, potions, frags. Give us meaning to kill bosses. Give us random named / epic spawns in regular zones (which has been slowly coming out)

the rest of the game is coming along, maybe not at the pace we all expect , but there is light at the end of the tunnel and it will get there :)

Astirian likes this.
  7. macnlos

macnlos Avatar

@Xee - I appreciate the optimism. I'm not totally pessimistic and somewhere between is the answer.

Gloop likes this.
  8. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

I personally feel that SotA, in many ways, is far better than UO.

9. Xee

Xee Avatar

Im always optimistic. I see improvement every month. Its always progressing forward would you not agree :) Maybe not at the pace we all want but its walking forward.

10. Nevyn Waldail

Nevyn Waldail Avatar

Unfortunately our expectations are far higher than they were when UO came out.

Jason_M, Astirian and Barugon like this.
  11. macnlos

macnlos Avatar

:) Forward, yes... but in the right direction? That part is debatable.

Gloop, Astirian and Cordelayne like this.
  12. redfish

redfish Avatar

Hey @Weins201 .

Yea, actually.... one of the reasons I'm confused about the development focus on player-made dungeons and player-made quests is that -- although they're very cool features with a lot of potential -- the truth is that many of the players I know who were attracted to SotA with the idea of contributing to the game lore, and making quests, and writing books, and so on, have felt like they're being left out or driven away... and some of them big name backers who have decided to pick up and sell all their stuff.

Basically, the people who want to make quests and dungeons and such are the role-players, the same people who value things like deep, immersive gameplay, who liked the original Ultima games.

So it feels to me that unless the devs can get those players to feel like they're back on board, dungeons will as you say end up being a vanity feature, to play around with for a while, then get bored of. If player-made dungeons are to be a really cool aspect of SotA, they have to be more than a "social" feature that people play around with out of boredom. They're also not, as you said, something that's going to attract people to the game; its the core day-to-day game experience that's going to attract people.

If you want to bring up combat, there are still core things missing from combat in the game. Mobs still lack most of the handicaps that players do, for example, not being able to see in the dark, not being slowed by terrain. We still only have a limited amount of skill combos, making the skillweaving system relatively boring at the moment. And whatever happened to magic being affected by sympathies with weather, the environment and other conditions ?

The problem with regional gameplay is the devs haven't supported it well. There's a reason everyone wants to go to UT; its because the map doesn't feel very balanced in terms of different opportunities for gameplay. And the market feels poorly structured in the game because there's not many tools for players to actually "market" themselves as crafters and sellers.

Sometimes it feels to me the development process is being distracted by a lot of "squirrels", things that are relatively unimportant, or easy to fulfill and get kudos on. While the big game gets away; the stuff that really needs to be done never seems to get done.

KuBaTRiZeS, Astirian, Gloop and 5 others like this.
  13. Gloop

Gloop Avatar

The reason dungeons are a big focus doesn’t need to be over thought or confusing.

It allows sales of dungeon entrances, dungeon rooms, and lots more deco even though peoples houses and basements are already full of stuff.

They could be neat, but are they more important than fixing quests, combat, or economy? Nope, but pulling along the string of dungeons keeps us spending- sadly, fixing core elements of the game won’t do that.

Once dungeons are developed out to a point where they are barely functional they will move on the next thing. That famous final 20% of polish will not happen due the state of the company.

I don’t have a good answer or plan, wish I did, but the comment above that we see to be on a runaway train is pretty spot on. The video linking Nintendo starting over on Metroid is noble, but Port doesn’t have the luxury of Nintendo’s balance sheet to start again. And there is not enough goodwill left where folks would open their wallets to take another big swing. So I wish current efforts would focus on core fixes; it’s our last best chance to bring people in or back - not dungeons.

Gorthyn, Astirian and Cordelayne like this.
  14. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

Many of us original backers who tell stories are still here. I don’t feel driven away. I didn’t take my ball home while having a hissy fit saying “I am not playing anymore and I will bad mouth you until I die” like a 4 year old. Some did just that and I am real sick and tired of hearing about them.

It is about who is here now and supporting the game. Not who left with their ball refusing to let the game evolve as organic things do.

15. redfish

redfish Avatar

Yea; I agree.

In fact, I was going to mention that the things that help fund the game in the short-term are not necessarily going to help it in the long-term. What's needed is a long-term plan and vision. I think SotA originally had the vision part, even if the plan part wasn't all nailed down. But, I think over time, there is a loss of that. I think the focus on dungeons and quests while alienating a lot of players into them just fits into that.

I respect you for that; and I'm also interested in telling stories and haven't left the game either. But I'm not just talking about people throwing big tantrums and badmouthing the devs, but a lot of people just quietly left, who have fallen away without even being public about it, not for selfish motives, but just because they aren't interested anymore and have games they'd rather play instead.

Katu, Gorthyn, that_shawn_guy and 2 others like this.
  16. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

Good Point! Thank you for expanding on this.

17. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

To me opening one of this posts is more like cerebral apoplexy.

18. Timmy Vortex

Timmy Vortex Avatar

19. Katu

Katu Avatar

I feel this is the reason for, atleast few, bad development direction choices. It should not be about few original highend backers, but fresh new players. Decisions should be aimed to get new players ( quests, combat, loot, achievements, ui), instead of finding ways to get more money from old ones ( PMD, fishing, ep2 island bundles, p2w store buffs etc).
    But yes, raging 5 years, instead of moving on, is sad).

20. Xee

Xee Avatar

I guess that I am one of the few that can't wait for them to get more dungeon stuff in as one poster put it up the thread. Myself I have huge plans for dungeon and want to have my own "The Rise" with lore, quests etc. Being one of the successful GM crafters I plan to have high end loot at my cost. Why? Because I see a need to make something that people will want to do and for them to be rewarded if they can complete it. It brings more to the community and can be alot of fun.

I don't see them as spending all their time on dungeons, as we see progress in many other areas going on at the same time. The schedule for various things mentioned above like the quest system revamp is already stated when it will be completed. This means that they are following a set plan and have resources developing these plans even well the dungeon stuff is getting dealt with. They also have Ep2 coming starts in 2 releases. Given the size of the Team I think they are doing a great job and they have been following the Plan they setup, as well they have added new things each month as promised including additional stuff that they complete along the way.

As to the cash shop, and money aspect they have to pay wages to developers. if the cash shop does not have things to draw people to spend then they will have no money and no developers to build what you are asking for. The Balance from what I see is there. They bring some new stuff in each month as well fix and follow the plan they setup for the months. Seems to be on track to me. Patience is a virtue ;)

Lord Trady of Blix likes this.