Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

About Variety on combat and Decks.

Discussion in 'Release 8 Feedback' started by Akrondar, Jul 29, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Akrondar

Akrondar Avatar

First thing to notice is that i HATE that when you have a deck saved and you make changes on your skill tree, the decks that contain some "forgotten" cards are altered. The decks should preserve their integrity but not be usable until we get all the right cards for it.

Being said that:

One of the bad things i see with the actual combat system is that at higher levels it someway punish you for variety on your deck.

Example, Lets take 2 players with 80 and 120 points to spend on the skill tree. Both of them get the exact same cards (medium armor/shield&sword) but the player with 120 points develops the archer tree with the remaining 40 points.

With the current system: On battle, the two of them begins the fight, but interestingly the 120 points player would be on disadvantage because the archer cards will pop up between their usable cards.

This situation wasn't visualized clearly on R8 because we couldn't rotate weapons easily. Only chance opening the bag and doing it manually.

But we want diversity! How to get it?.

Well, my take is:

1-. We need an interface solution to swap weapons. Slow, fast, focus required you name it. But we need it (We can actually do it in a clunky way)
    2-. When you equip a weapon, the card system should only select cards associated with the current weapon.

How these changes would affect the previous situation?

1-. When fighting with swords/shields the two players would be equal, but the 120 card points deck would have an advantage if he can get a distance from the 80 points deck swapping to bow/arrows.

It is simple, and would address some concerns people have brought to the forums after R8, and makes sense about desirable player progression.

One last thing, we should be not able to swap decks on combat, it will lead to odd situations like a close combat fighter suddenly transform into a spell caster. We need consistence. Maybe 1 or 2 minutes off combat would be OK (odd anyways but less traumatic).

What do you think?

docdoom77 likes this.
  2. jiirc

jiirc Avatar

What you are asking for isn't exactly clear to me. Are you asking to be able to mix two sets of weapon skills in the same deck and be able to swap weapons based on the glyphs that appear in your slots? I'm not sure why you would want to do this?

Multiple decks allow you to tie equipment to the deck, so that if your deck containable glyphs, make sure your bow is equipped and click on the use current equipment button. When you switch decks your equipment will match what was saved with the deck.

tekkamansoul likes this.
  3. MulGirtab [BEAR]

MulGirtab [BEAR] Avatar

Once the game is release, I assume you will not be able to switch your skill tree so easily. So keeping them in the deck when you don't have those cards does not seem logical. I can see what you mean because you want to save that deck IF you can change the skills fairly easily.

The skills is what makes your character, not the deck. The decks are just the skills you want showing up at that time. This way you still have some control of what is going on. So swapping out decks is reasonable. Since you are attacking up close an personal you may not want your casting spells popping up. Now you are getting close to death and you fall back and now you want your magic spells. you swap decks to start casting.

However I dont think your equipment should swap while in combat. That should require time out of combat plus 10 seconds to change your equipment.

Only exception would be your weapon. You should be able to have a back up weapon to switch to on your back.

4. Akrondar

Akrondar Avatar

We think different, and it is ok ;). I think weapon swapping would add a lot to the game. And 10 secs seems a bit too much.

I know decks doesnt make the character :). But if i create a nice and effective deck, why i should not be able to store it for later use?.

AdamZax likes this.
  5. MulGirtab [BEAR]

MulGirtab [BEAR] Avatar

The 10 seconds is for your armor while out of combat and you cant do it at all while in combat or it should require a long time for it to happen.
    However Not your weapon. Your weapon should only take at max 3 seconds.

I know what you you mean by that, I don't disagree. I should have worded that first part different.. :D

6. Akrondar

Akrondar Avatar

That is right, but the deck swap changes all of your equipment (and play style), and that is a weird thing to do (and look) on combat, even if it takes a lot of time.

What i am asking for is the ability to fast swap the hand equipment (2-3 secs), AND that the card system chooses only cards associated with the current hand equipment. I think that option would allow more diversity on combat styles.

I dont know if a made myself more clear :D

7. Akrondar

Akrondar Avatar

I like that timing and general rules for swapping. xD

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.