About Wyvern Haunches...

Discussion in 'Crafting & Gathering' started by Hellscream, Jan 17, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hellscream

Hellscream Avatar

It's just me or they have a very low drop?
    I usually look for encounters with them and i noticed that they rarely drop meat... talking of skin about 10 wyverns before i get tired of getting no haunch at all...

FrostII likes this.
  2. Asclepius

Asclepius Avatar

Yes it is low, also random. I have had sessions in Ulfheim where I got 0 from 10, very rarely I came home with 3. SotA RNG strikes again!

FrostII likes this.
  3. Turk Key

Turk Key Avatar

Been trying for wyvern head for over a year. No luck yet. Have given up collecting them all, now just want to get one at least.

FrostII likes this.
  4. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

I took on the "I want all the colored wyvern heads" quest when they were first added.
    After 6 months of spending several hours a day in Ulfheim I had a total of 3 three heads - one of which was given to me out of pity.
    Haunch drop rate is pretty poor, I'd walk way from a 2 hour session with zero as often as not, just going back and forth between the wyvern spots and killing/skinning everything and gathering cotton while I waited for respawn.

I really don't understand why wyverns (and the phoenix, for that matter) can't have a more reliable haunch rate. Particularly since they don't drop anything else worth having. I'm okay with heads being rare - perhaps not quite as rare as they are, simply because there's nowhere to mass kill wyverns, but they are aesthetic only rather than functional so if you can't get them - fine.

StarLord, FrostII, Anpu and 1 other person like this.
  5. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

I was just looking at the public API on how many Wyvern Haunches have dropped in the last 30 days and that was a total of 614 dropped from all scenes in the last 30 days.

That seems like a lot, but that’s probably because so many people are spending time killing wyverns. Because the drops from them are so rare........

6. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

From the API here is what people have been doing the last 30 days killing Wyverns. Of note this number is JUST HOW MANY WERE KILLED. This number does NOT show that each and every single Wyvern was actually skinned. For some reason(?) some people don't actually skin a Wyvern or can't or some other reason?

A total of 386 Black Wyverns were killed in the last 30 days in all scenes.
    A total of 379 Blue Wyverns were killed in the last 30 days in all scenes.
    A total of 382 Green Wyverns were killed in the last 30 days in all scenes.
    A total of 461 Orange Wyverns were killed in the last 30 days in all scenes.
    A total of 457 Purple Wyverns were killed in the last 30 days in all scenes.
    A total of 515 Red Wyverns were killed in the last 30 days in all scenes.
    A total of 3 War Wyverns were killed in the last 30 days in all scenes.
    A total of 423 White Wyverns were killed in the last 30 days in all scenes.
    A total of 431 Yellow Wyverns were killed in the last 30 days in all scenes.

A total of 3,437 Wyverns were killed in the last 30 days. You people sure do kill a LOT of Wyverns.....

And from the 3,437 Wyverns Killed (of note some were NOT skinned for whatever reason) 614 haunches dropped.

Should that be doubled to 1,228 in the last 30 days, or 2,456 in the last 30 days or?

Last edited: Jan 17, 2021
    FrostII and Alley Oop like this.
  7. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

So that's... ~1 in 17 (theoretically) to get a haunch?

8. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

Wait, that's not right... Math is hard...

~1 in 5.5

9. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

that sounds pretty reasonable to me

10. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

Me too. But it doesn't ever seem to feel like 1 in 6 when you're actually hunting them...

Anpu and Alley Oop like this.
  11. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

A very interesting experiment you COULD do (because I do this all the time) is:

1. Install a LUA mod that has a kill counter (because that count will actually be correct and eliminate human error). I just use Devilcult's mod for when I need a kill counter.
    2. Remove all items from your non locked inventory. Ensure the kill counter is reset.
    3. Proceed to kill a total of 12 Wyverns, by viewing the number of killed creatures from the LUA mod.
    4. View the contents of your inventory for Wyvern Haunches after killing a total of 12 Wyverns.

As a complete guess, you will probably have 1 or maybe 2 Wyvern Haunches..... But that is only a guess, not a fact.

12. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

Wyverns are perhaps a bad example because, even when you don't get a haunch, you do get obsidian chips, so the value per skin on wyverns isn't awful. Still, considering the spawn rate of wyverns, the fact that if you're fighting them in the couple of scenes where they can spawn either/or with reapers, you're not able to kill that many that fast, if the RNG for the spawn isn't cooperating. I think it wouldn't hurt to make it more like the dragon haunch, which drops nearly every time, but I know there's reasons we can't have nice things in a consistent manner, so split the difference?

FrostII likes this.
  13. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

I could do that, but logging in is boring enough at the moment. I don't think the numbers you posted are wrong, but the long streaks of bad rng make the short ones feel infrequent.

FrostII likes this.
  14. Sorgin Txakal

Sorgin Txakal Avatar

I think the problem with Wyverns isn't the drop rate of their haunches, but the lack of scenes that have them.

There is a reason why there are more dragon stews in the game economy that could be eaten by all the players in the game if they made a concerted effort over the next month, while wyvern chops are a delicacy. It has nothing to do with the drop rate, and everything to do with the fact that you can go to a dozen differnet places and fight dragons and have the encounter be worth your efforts for other reasons - while the places you can go to hunt wyverns is very limited.

I would really appreciate it if at say, Lamerch's Bazaar or some other open scene with multiple levels had at least a few roaming wyverns.

FrostII likes this.
  15. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

That, and I think you only get 1 or 2 wyvern meat when you process haunches. Dragon haunches give like 8-10 or so each.

FrostII and Anpu like this.
  16. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

Yeah, dragon haunches are absolutely farmable.
    Dragons appear in many scenes, have a near 100% drop rate on haunch (sometimes, you rarely get 2!) and the haunch yields a lot more food per drop. Dragons are also farmed for other reasons - good skinning exp, dragon heads of various colors, decent artifact / crapifact drop rate etc.
    Wyverns are a handful to a scene, if any (because placeholder spawns).
    Phoenix has same problem only worse because it takes longer to kill than a dragon (have to beat it down twice) and there's only a couple of places it spawns, and it rarely drops anything else (artifact drop rate is almost nonexistent - last time I farmed 30 phoenixes to get a single hateful talon, I also got 1 crappy ring in the process and a couple hundred gem frags. Woopie).

This is one of my everlasting frustrations with Sota, is that when they add things to the game and to the loot table, there seems to be no context of suitable reward compared to what already exists in game. Remember the original effects of wyvern chops were worse than wolf surprise and only got changed because people made a huge fuss about it. Its almost like someone's sat in the unity editor making a Wyvern, and says, oh okay, lets give it a haunch 15% of the time *picks number out of hat* and lets make that food give...dex ..(but less than the common, easier to farm wolf surprise). Its completely arbitrary.

So, the RNG is only the first hurdle in terms of satisfying rewards.

I can just imagine hunters going out to get their dinner, they slay this HUGE beast and then ....oh, nope, sorry, not a single bit of usable meat on that, sorry. Its nonsensical.

StarLord, FrostII, Anpu and 1 other person like this.
  17. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

Well, wyverns are kind of tough and stringy. And poisonous, maybe messing up is like improperly preparing fugu.

18. Sorgin Txakal

Sorgin Txakal Avatar

Not to mention the use of fire magic, death magic, air magic, poisons, hundreds of arrows or multiple spear/sword strikes - some of these things or in combination might damage or ruin the meat :eek:

19. Sorgin Txakal

Sorgin Txakal Avatar

So, I just spent an hour actively trying to farm wyvern haunches and I really think the problem is lack of high tier adventure areas with wyverns in them.

• Ulfheim is jut not an efficient area to farm wyverns. They aren't guaranteed to spawn when the scene opens, and if you clear out the entire scene's elite spawn locations and wait for a full scene respawn you've already spent at a minimum ten minutes before your first *attempt* to skin a wyvern for a haunch

• Barbarian Scenes are the best places to find wyverns, but this presents some problems:
      • Barbarian scenes are 3+, unless you get the very rare winter pass scene which is 5+ - though I have never seen a wyvern spawn in one
        • So this is not an ideal way to farm xp, and the only reason a high level player goes to these scenes is with the goal of farming wyverns
        • If meticulous chance is tied with scene level, this also makes it far less likely that multiple chances will be given on the same wyvern
      • Barbarian scenes are not guaranteed to spawn wyverns
        • Wyverns spawn as the elite encounter what appears to be ~40% of the time - (with elite barbarians or other NPC encounter taking up the other 60%)
          • So often the time spent looking for a barbarian encounter is wasted.
        • When wyverns spawn, the number of wyverns that spawn seems to be ~17% of the time 1 wyvern, 66% of the time 2 wyverns, 17% of the time 3 wyverns.

Under these circumstances, I think there is merit in increasing the drop rate of haunches.

Ideally though, I would prefer if first the devs took an existing Tier 5-6+ scene or two that is not used much or at all by players, and give the scene an xp pass including adding a significant amount of wyverns - possibly a higher tier tamable lvl 97+ Ferocious Wyvern to shake up the taming meta a bit as well in a pvp scene.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2021
    kaeshiva likes this.
  20. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

I personally would not want to see Wyvern's just slapped into unused scenes, just because you want more Wyverns.

Fix and address the current underlying problems then move from there.

ConjurerDragon and FrostII like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.